Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

US Open Golf 2017

Coverage of this year's US Open just started on Sky Sports 4.

Who does everyone fancy to win it?

Some of the bigger names set to start soon but Rickie Fowler has had a great start from the earlier group. He's at -6 through 14 holes.

Comments

• Dustin Johnson the favourite struggling early on. +3 through 11 holes.
  • There are far too many red numbers on that board for my liking.

I bet on Oosthuizen, Leishman, Schwartzel and Pieters. Dustin was my actual pick to win, I'm really surprised by his score so far.
  • RedPanda said:

There are far too many red numbers on that board for my liking.

I bet on Oosthuizen, Leishman, Schwartzel and Pieters. Dustin was my actual pick to win, I'm really surprised by his score so far.

It's why I prefer the Open Championship. I enjoy watching golfers be made miserable. The rest is meh to me.
  • I always back Fowler and I'm always disappointed. Fingers crossed again this time.
  • I've backed Sergio Garcia and Adam Scott with an each way bet on Louis Oosthuizen
  • No doubt I'll back a loser as usual. Atleast I can blame the Tories and austerity for my gambling failings this year.
  • See Lee Westwood is up there, would love to see him break his duck like Garcia did this year.
  • Religiously back fowler although only have a small stake on him ew 8 places and rahm ew
  • If anyone fancies Lee Westwood he's 40/1 and only 4 shots off the lead

Westwood will never win a Major.
  • Sponsored links:

He's got a good record of coming second, though.

I agree. Cant putt.

He's got a good record of coming second, though.
    I hope he does prove me wrong and wins one but I have to say I was convinced Colin Montgomerie would win one and he never did.
  • Is Gary Player still going?
  • Something of a strange leaderboard after the first round. No great surprise to see Rickie Fowler up there, along with Lee Westwood probably now the best current player without a major. But a lot of the fancied runners - D Johnson, Speith, Mcilroy, Day, Rahm - are over par and struggling to make the cut.
  • I think Rory may be wishing they had cut the rough back even further
  • iainment said:

Is Gary Player still going?

Not sure what his plans are for the weekend.
  • iainment said:

Is Gary Player still going?

Not sure what his plans are for the weekend.
    Him and Nicklaus were my favourites as a kid.
  • I think Rory may be wishing they had cut the rough back even further

I quite agree with what he said at his press conference before the tournament started. The fairways are around 80 yards wide & if you can't hit them & you land in the rough you deserve to be penalised. In his case it is understandable (to a point) as he's been out of match practice for a few months & so not fully up to speed, but for the others....no excuses. I have played quite a number of golf courses in my time, inc some Open Venues & I don't think I've seen many wider fairways. Good job there aren't any OOB or tree lined fairways........
  • So far so good, put a nathan on Paul Casey e/w 50/1 and a doule nathan on Rickie Fowler e/w at 20/1.
  • Sponsored links:

• So far so good, put a nathan on Paul Casey e/w 50/1 and a doule nathan on Rickie Fowler e/w at 20/1.

not heard of a nathan before - is that Vogon speak.
  • A nathan is 50p, named after a guy who used to post on here. ( I only bet for fun and am not very good hence small stakes).
  • Haha a Nathan. Might have to pick that bit of slang up.

Casey having a weird second round so far. Was +3 through first five holes but now within one shot of the lead after four straight birdies.
  • Another birdie for Casey. Now tied for the lead through 12 holes.

Fowler yet to start his second round I believe.
  • Strong starts for Fowler and Koepka. Fowler -1 through 2 holes, Koepka -2 through 3 holes.
  • Bit annoying to see Koepka doing so well. Someone I've backed in quite a few majors but predictably not this week.
  • Matsuyama come right back into it after a bad day yesterday. Five birdies in seven holes so far today.
  • Matsuyama come right back into it after a bad day yesterday. Five birdies in seven holes so far today.

When he's putting well he's pretty much untouchable.

I moaned yesterday about all the birdies, I don't expect the course to be unfair but so far Erin Hills has seemed a bit unexciting. I've not seen the final few holes, mind.
  • Very bunched up field after 2 rounds. With only 8 shots covering the whole field, in theory anybody still in can win. I thought the 10 shot rule still applied in the US Open, but obviously not. I'm pretty sure however that there will be a full 18 hole play-off on Monday if required.