Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Latimer Road fire

edited June 2017 in Not Sports Related
Watching this unfold via twitter and the media - looks absolutely awful. It must be close to 4am UK time

Comments

• 'cause not known at this stage'
    latest statement.
  • We've been watching this live in the US for 3 hours now. It's the big news item. Reminds all of us of 9/11 when we see a tall tower on fire. Hope everyone got out, although it would be a miracle if they all did. I am worried it might collapse.

• 5 year old boy missing, people being treated for smoke inhalation.

I don't see how the Fire Brigade can deal with it.
  • edited June 2017

'cause not known at this stage'
    latest statement.

Disturbing that a building like that catch fire in such a dramatic way? Seems like tower block / skyscraper fires are relatively common, often construction related but rare to see them burn so aggressively
  • Eye witnesses saying people still in there!
  • Horrifying video on the guardian website. Really intense fire seemingly engulfing about half the tower. I hope everyone made it out safe but sounds and looks like that is unlikely. What a fucking run the country is on right now, just one tragedy after another it seems.
  • News reports are not good.

40 fire engines reported at scene.
  • Clearly seen from Blackheath
  • edited June 2017
    Fire started on fourth floor. Reportedly due to a faulty fridge. Building apparently has a history of bad safety reports and complaints.
  • Major respect to the Emergency Services battling this one....
  • Sponsored links:

• Fire started on fourth floor. Reportedly due to a faulty fridge. Building apparently has a history of bad safety reports and complaints.

Reports saying that it had just finished being refurbished
  • edited June 2017
    cafc999 said:

Fire started on fourth floor. Reportedly due to a faulty fridge. Building apparently has a history of bad safety reports and complaints.

Perhaps, but news here says that residents complained about poor safety for a long time.

Here is one report. They are mentioning this on RT news and also on CNN.

http://www.perthnow.com.au/news/grenfell-tower-blaze-residents-raised-concerns-about-fire-safety/news-story/bc247a6362db3c92e2cf7a261debe42d
  • Can't bear to watch this to be honest. A terrible tragedy unfolding.
  • Just woke up to this, god help anyone in there, looks really horrendous.
  • Looks terrible. What a sad thing to happen. Heard an eye witness report saying there's people higher up in the block who are trapped, waving and screaming for help.
  • Eye witness claiming the new refurbishment is what has caused it... Some insulation on the outside which had just been finished not too long ago.
  • cafc999 said:

Perhaps, but news here says that residents complained about poor safety for a long time.

Here is one report. They are mentioning this on RT news and also on CNN.

http://www.perthnow.com.au/news/grenfell-tower-blaze-residents-raised-concerns-about-fire-safety/news-story/bc247a6362db3c92e2cf7a261debe42d
    Will be interesting to see what the levels of refurbishment was taken and also to see what building control approved.
  • Terrible fire - hope everyone escapes but seems unlikely.
  • Looks absolutely awful. My nan lived in a similar 20 floor old tower block in Bethnal Green so it feels even more horrifying to me seeing the outline shape completely engulfed with fire.

Pray there was a miracle and everyone got out. Fear that won't be the case
  • Sponsored links:

• Unthinkable.
  • Before anyone thinks I'm saying this was done by someone on purpose I'm not. However that's some prime real estate right there . Council will be able to sell that for a huge amount.

I'm astounded that there are still people alive in there right now , either through being burnt or smoke inhalation.
  • Hope with all my heart that people escaped from this
  • Horrific film on BBC of the building. Middle the night means more likely everyone was home and asleep which means more deaths likely.

Hope against hope everyone got out ok
  • I really hope everyone managed to get out, that is horrendous
  • Just been told that BBC reporting people seen jumping. Terrible.
  • edited June 2017
    Sky News right now is interviewing one guy. He lived on the 5th floor. He says his aunt was on the 23rd floor and his wife's best friend was on the 19th and he worries neither got out. Also said he saw a few people on the upper floors who were waving from windows before the fire got up there. The fact just one eyewitness said all that worries me, greatly. Really hope most got out. He says he was up already for Ramadan, otherwise he worries he "might not be here to talk." Says he never heard a fire alarm.
  • Awful. Firefighters can only get their hoses as high as the 13th/14th floor. It's 27 floors.

Nick Ferrari said "it's just going to have to burn itself out..." Terrifying.
  • Truly terrible, let's just hope that everyone got out.
  • edited June 2017
    Just taken my wife to work in Hertfordshire - a beautiful clear day but to the west is a long cloud moving northwards from London. It looks like a rogue long rain cloud but I had tears in my eyes looking at it knowing it is a cloud of death. There needs to be an urgent investigation - urgent because if there is a inherent danger with refurbishments others may be at risk. We have to praise our brave fire fighters and emergency services who go into danger and the public who go there looking to help.

Hearing reports from residents there seems to be issues - The alarm didn't seem to go off - reports of concerns reported. It is possibly not healthy specultaing too much, but we need to demand lessons are learned. Even 40 plus years ago, these blocks were designed with fires in mind - the speed this fire spread is extremely concerning.

RIP all those innocent people.