Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Club cricket thread

Comments

• PaddyP17 said:

If we have any "free agents" still on here looking for games ( @Chizz ?), then there's a space in my league side tomorrow as it stands - would be great to have a plurality of Charlton fans in the side once again. (We had seven last week. Seven! ... And promptly got demolished, so maybe that's not necessarily a good omen. But still.)

Long shot, but worth a go - let me know!

Cheers

Paddy

Charltonised - the lot of you!
  • PaddyP17 said:

If we have any "free agents" still on here looking for games ( @Chizz ?), then there's a space in my league side tomorrow as it stands - would be great to have a plurality of Charlton fans in the side once again. (We had seven last week. Seven! ... And promptly got demolished, so maybe that's not necessarily a good omen. But still.)

Cheers

Paddy

Hey Paddy

did you play against my lot last week ?
  • lolwray said:

PaddyP17 said:

Cheers

Paddy

Hey Paddy

Yep, skippered. You lot bowled very well. Great toss to win.

That batsman Billy is WAY too good for your 4s! 175 runs unanswered in two innings!
  • PaddyP17 said:

lolwray said:

PaddyP17 said:

Cheers

Paddy

Hey Paddy

That batsman Billy is WAY too good for your 4s! 175 runs unanswered in two innings!
    i ll probably be fit enough to play in the return ....the 4s skip is a CAFC man (yes i know hes a bit odd but underneath hes a lovely chap) we ve been pals since the age of 5
  • PaddyP17 said:

lolwray said:

PaddyP17 said:

Cheers

Paddy

Hey Paddy

Given that the lad only scored 108 in 67 innings for the first 8 years of his cricketing career, I wouldn't mind betting that, from an early age, he wore the "bowls but can't bat badge". Until one day he proved people wrong.
  • PaddyP17 said:

lolwray said:

PaddyP17 said:

Cheers

Paddy

Hey Paddy

Given that the lad only scored 108 in 67 innings for the first 8 years of his cricketing career, I wouldn't mind betting that, from an early age, he wore the "bowls but can't bat badge". Until one day he proved people wrong.
    actually AA you are very correct ...all bowlers think they can bat but this lad (probably with the continuous help of a bowling machine) has worked out a decent method ..re last week they all got the impression you guys didnt try hard enough to accelerate in the latter part of your innings (but we wouldnt have known what you had to come)
  • Playing a rare dads beer match for my sons cricket team at South Loughton tonight think it's 8 a side
    one of my 2 or so friendly games a season
  • lolwray said:

PaddyP17 said:

lolwray said:

PaddyP17 said:

Cheers

Paddy

Hey Paddy

actually AA you are very correct ...all bowlers think they can bat but this lad (probably with the continuous help of a bowling machine) has worked out a decent method ..re last week they all got the impression you guys didnt try hard enough to accelerate in the latter part of your innings (but we wouldnt have known what you had to come)
    You should've heard me and Leuth on the boundary. We were going bananas.

AshBurton is very protective of his wicket, and his son has inherited that trait. It's great to have in a bloke who carries his bat from 1 more often than not!

In hindsight, sending the 13-year-old in was probably a bad idea and I should have sent in the grown-ups to try and hit out a bit more (not that it necessarily would've worked). There were at least four guys who could've had a swing, but we genuinely collectively were probably worse technically than Ash's son (who really is a solid/pretty darn good age group cricketer).
  • Speak for yer bloody self! :P
  • Been roped in by a mate to play for Stockbury cc this Sunday because they're short of players.

I have no idea the league or the standard and I've barely played in the last year and a half. Gonna be interesting.
  • Sponsored links:

• PaddyP17 said:

lolwray said:

PaddyP17 said:

Cheers

Paddy

Hey Paddy

Amazing. Good for him.
  • I will be "taking two for the Club" this weekend and umpiring a 4th team League match tomorrow plus a colts game on Sunday.
  • Been roped in by a mate to play for Stockbury cc this Sunday because they're short of players.

I have no idea the league or the standard and I've barely played in the last year and a half. Gonna be interesting.

Steve Marsh the old Kent wicket keeper played for them a few years back..
  • In our dads beer match they decided to play terrier rules to give everyone a bat and bowl .
    8 a side, 4 overs a batting pair, -5 for a wicket
    Oppo batted first getting 107 net total off their 16 overs which always looked short
    Me and opening partner flew out the blocks getting net 52 (one wicket loss) in our 4 overs including a one handed 6 over extra cover as I chased a short wide pie with my top (left ) hand , the boundaries weren't that far but far enough !

Then I umpired and as the game was getting close(ish) I gave a front foot no ball that bowled one of our batsmen out .
    I also gave an lbw a couple of close run outs (one of them when there was no square leg umpire for a bit)
    Then the controversial decision , with 4 overs to go and 15 or so needed , I had said to their wicket keeper I will give an extra 5 runs if the ball hit his can of beer, that he left right behind the stumps at his end .
    The bowler bowled one through to the keeper who fumbled our batsmen stopped started and went for a dodgey run , the keeper who was standing a few yards back shied at the stumps smashing the nigh on empty beer can at the base of the stumps and then the stumps and bails off with the batsmen stranded a few yards out . As they celebrated the 'wicket' and 5 point loss I shouted them down with a not out call and 5 penalty runs added to the total much to the dismay of some but the keeper who was a bit pissed realised the error of his ways .

This was all in good spirits and everyone had a laugh and a moan about it afterwards .

We ended up on 121 net with the game only dead with 2 balls to go. Good fun had by all !

• In our dads beer match they decided to play terrier rules to give everyone a bat and bowl .
    8 a side, 4 overs a batting pair, -5 for a wicket
    Oppo batted first getting 107 net total off their 16 overs which always looked short
    Me and opening partner flew out the blocks getting net 52 (one wicket loss) in our 4 overs including a one handed 6 over extra cover as I chased a short wide pie with my top (left ) hand , the boundaries weren't that far but far enough !

Then I umpired and as the game was getting close(ish) I gave a front foot no ball that bowled one of our batsmen out .
    I also gave an lbw a couple of close run outs (one of them when there was no square leg umpire for a bit)
    Then the controversial decision , with 4 overs to go and 15 or so needed , I had said to their wicket keeper I will give an extra 5 runs if the ball hit his can of beer, that he left right behind the stumps at his end .
    The bowler bowled one through to the keeper who fumbled our batsmen stopped started and went for a dodgey run , the keeper who was standing a few yards back shied at the stumps smashing the nigh on empty beer can at the base of the stumps and then the stumps and bails off with the batsmen stranded a few yards out . As they celebrated the 'wicket' and 5 point loss I shouted them down with a not out call and 5 penalty runs added to the total much to the dismay of some but the keeper who was a bit pissed realised the error of his ways .

This was all in good spirits and everyone had a laugh and a moan about it afterwards .

We ended up on 121 net with the game only dead with 2 balls to go. Good fun had by all !

Oohaahshakoorrana
  • I've missed the last two games but i'm in the team for the game against Statics who are captained by totally crazy bloke called PD.

Should be fun :worried:

Game off..oppo couldn't raise a team :(
  • Solid win for the Charlton Life XI - myself; @Leuth and @AshBurton (and Burton Jr) all chipping in! Good team effort defending 161 and getting the oppo all out for 126 (though they didn't have much batting to be honest).

One of those games where everyone did a bit of everything, pretty much. No real TFCs! And lots of Charlton fans in the side again.

I'm genuinely thinking we should/could form a Charlton Life Sunday XI and go play a few friendlies down in Kent...
  • Very sad to see that RACS have had to withdraw both their sides from the Kent Regional League. Not sure what's happened there but I suspect that it's something to do with the same individuals who have done everything for so long not being prepared to do so and the Club not having a colt system in place.

RACS used to be one of the top sides in the South Thames League with Andy Tutt probably the best bowler ever to grace that League in their ranks. Tutty used to bowl 25 overs from one end for RACS in the days when rules permitted that and invariably never went for more than a couple an over.

He is still playing for and captaining Hartley in the Kent Premier League at nigh on 50 - his figures on Saturday were 10-0-29-0. Not bad considering Lordswood managed 298 off their 50.
  • Very sad to see that RACS have had to withdraw both their sides from the Kent Regional League. Not sure what's happened there but I suspect that it's something to do with the same individuals who have done everything for so long not being prepared to do so and the Club not having a colt system in place.

RACS used to be one of the top sides in the South Thames League with Andy Tutt probably the best bowler ever to grace that League in their ranks. Tutty used to bowl 25 overs from one end for RACS in the days when rules permitted that and invariably never went for more than a couple an over.

He is still playing for and captaining Hartley in the Kent Premier League at nigh on 50 - his figures on Saturday were 10-0-29-0. Not bad considering Lordswood managed 298 off their 50.

Yes, that is sad. The pitfalls of relegation from the KCL... Most of their decent players jumped ship at the start of the season, and the 1's have been playing with 9 most games. I guess last week's thrashing (they lost by 244 runs) was the tipping point.
  • Sponsored links:

That's indeed very sad. Totally agree that Andy Tutt was, and clearly still is, a very good bowler. I think he must be early 50s by now, as I remember playing against him when I was 15 (though he could have been a well built, precocious 10 year old I suppose).
  • AshBurton said:

Very sad to see that RACS have had to withdraw both their sides from the Kent Regional League. Not sure what's happened there but I suspect that it's something to do with the same individuals who have done everything for so long not being prepared to do so and the Club not having a colt system in place.

That's indeed very sad. Totally agree that Andy Tutt was, and clearly still is, a very good bowler. I think he must be early 50s by now, as I remember playing against him when I was 15 (though he could have been a well built, precocious 10 year old I suppose).
    No, you're right @Addick Addict - turns 50 next year I see now.
  • AshBurton said:

Very sad to see that RACS have had to withdraw both their sides from the Kent Regional League. Not sure what's happened there but I suspect that it's something to do with the same individuals who have done everything for so long not being prepared to do so and the Club not having a colt system in place.

and i believe his is a charlton fan ..useful addition to the sunday team !
  • lolwray said:

AshBurton said:

and i believe his is a charlton fan ..useful addition to the sunday team !
    He most certainly is and would be too.

Tutty used to coach me in youth cricket!

If the last time you played cricket was over a year ago and the last time you bowled in the bets was months ago I wouldn't recommend going and bowling 9 overs on the bounce. Just gonna say it would be easier to list the bits of me that don't ache than the ones that do. I sat down and couldn't get up!

We lost to the top of the league side but were missing 9 regulars. I bowled my 9 overs got 2 wickets had two dollies dropped off my bowling. Also twice took the edge of their best player who happens to be the captain of the 2nd team at my uni but they both went between keeper and slip.

First game in well over a year and not even had a net for about 4 months because of exams so happy with the way I bowled. Felt in control didn't bowl a single wide

Shame we lost but we were playing with 10 against top of the league so overall felt it was a decent showing! Very 'village' though!
    Unable to move at all this morning!
  • It's just a shame that Canters doesn't qualify - we can't have someone with such strong Palace connections turning out for us. It would just Surrey sully the whole experience.

• Got a nephew who would play, but he supports West Ham so he can do one.
  • MrOneLung said:

Got a nephew who would play, but he supports West Ham so he can do one.

Would be quite good fun to play him as a batsman I think. Did he score tons for fun at club level or is he not great even at a lower level?