Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Best Cricketers according to Trophy Captains

http://m.bbc.com/sport/cricket/40121511
Top batsman is tricky at the moment, a depth of real quality. National bias pushes me towards Root, but AB is possibly the most freakishly gifted. I know The President is not going to be impressed with the choice of top batsman by the captains.

Comments

• Root is the most complete batsman in world cricket in my opinion
  • Depends on the match situation,

To chase down a score you can't really look past Kholi.

To build an innings that's a joy to watch, full of proper cricketing shots then Root wins.

To destroy a bowling attack with ridiculous shots at a crazy S/R then it's AB for me
  • Depends on the match situation,

To chase down a score you can't really look past Kholi.

To build an innings that's a joy to watch, full of proper cricketing shots then Root wins.

To destroy a bowling attack with ridiculous shots at a crazy S/R then it's AB for me

Tend to agree with this, Kohli is a bit of an iceman in the run chases
  • Ab root and kohli take your choice.
  • Surprised Smith was so low. Walks into any team. Ok he's unorthodox, but I wouldn't breathe until he was out if I was facing the Aussies
  • Agree with all the comments. One striking omission of course, is the current no 2 of all time Test averages ..... Adam Voges !! :)
    I think you will probably find over the next few years that Root and especially Williamson will become more complete players and will rise above them all - as long as captaincy doesn't pull them down of course.Smith I believe will slide down as sides work him out.
    In terms of bowlers, I don't think you can go beyond the likes of Cummins and Starc - its an astonishing opening pair, that given no injuries could become the Lille/Thompson of the new era - however, both of them are dogged by injuries, and only likely to get worse.
    I wonder why most fast bowlers these days (add Wood to the above) seem to have perennial problems with injuries however in the days of Thommo/lillee, Holdong/Garner they seemed to have much less injury problems - or is it just my memory leakage!
  • Agree with all the comments. One striking omission of course, is the current no 2 of all time Test averages ..... Adam Voges !! :)
    I think you will probably find over the next few years that Root and especially Williamson will become more complete players and will rise above them all - as long as captaincy doesn't pull them down of course.Smith I believe will slide down as sides work him out.
    In terms of bowlers, I don't think you can go beyond the likes of Cummins and Starc - its an astonishing opening pair, that given no injuries could become the Lille/Thompson of the new era - however, both of them are dogged by injuries, and only likely to get worse.
    I wonder why most fast bowlers these days (add Wood to the above) seem to have perennial problems with injuries however in the days of Thommo/lillee, Holdong/Garner they seemed to have much less injury problems - or is it just my memory leakage!

No Stu your memories good on that, there seem to be a lot more strains and stress fractures with the modern bowlers. Notice Woakes is the only English bowler in the list, I don't think you can argue with that on current form
  • Woakes is much less likely to run through a side on an unhelpful wicket than the likes of Starc,Cummins,Wood,Ashwin,Narine,Boult,maybe Milne.
  • Off topic Phil, but the sad event re Hannah has probably made your decision much easier - but maybe that's a discussion for elsewhere.
  • Very true Stu.
  • Sponsored links:

• Over all 3 formats think AB is the best, trickier to pick in the test arena

No Stu your memories good on that, there seem to be a lot more strains and stress fractures with the modern bowlers. Notice Woakes is the only English bowler in the list, I don't think you can argue with that on current form
    Older generation fast bowlers did have major injuries, but not the "minor strains" that modern one have

One thing I find interesting, as a reflection on where the money is, that whereas in some countries they're quicker bowlers retire from Tests and concentrate on T20 and white ball cricket, in England, we "retire" out best bowlers (Anderson, Broad) from white ball cricket to keep them fit for Tests!
  • They play a lot more cricket now, especially the England test bowlers. Less chance to recover.
  • McBobbin said:

They play a lot more cricket now, especially the England test bowlers. Less chance to recover.

Bit it's an interesting contrast when you see the likes of Malinga still playing white ball cricket having retired from Test cricket SIX years ago
  • I think Englishman see test cricket as the ultimate form of the game and "retire" from the others to prolong their test careers.