Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Charlton signings since May 2007

Since we were relegated from the Premier League over 10 years ago, we have signed a shed load of players. Some excellent, some OK, some you wouldn't pick on a Sunday morning over Charlton Park.

However name one player that the vast majority of people on here said at the time of his signing, What a player!

It's not that many in my opinion

Comments

• Danny Green seemed to get most people excited. Turned out to be a bit average though.
  • Continuous degrading of the squad apart from the pre season in 2012 under Powell. No one can possibly argue otherwise.
  • Alou Diarra? Struggling after that.
  • I thought BWP was a very encouraging first signing for Slater and Jiminez. The signings the following summer, particularly Hamer, Wiggins, Morrison, Hollands, Green and Stephens looked like "we mean business".

Excited by lots of Pardew's signings ahead of first season in the Championship. Think more to do with him than the players that a lot of them didn't fully deliver.
  • Other than Churchy , can't think of anyone tbh
  • I think most were impressed when we signed JBG
  • Was Andy Reid signed whilst we were in the Prem
  • Yes and sold in the 2008 window, buying Andy Gray with the change.
  • Can't really think of any that have made me go "what a player", it's a bonus if I've heard of most of them
  • Sponsored links:

• Signing Joe Gomez to his pro contract is about exciting as it gas been.
  • Definitely BWP.

At a time when we had been subjected to Mooney, Sodje, Nouble, Forster, Abbot etc. it was brilliant to sign someone with BWP's goalscoring record in the lower divisions, and he definitely lived up to the hype.
  • I was quite excited when we signed Todorov or was that before 2007, and also Paul Hayes and Danny Green although none of them done that well.
  • Probably when Brussel signed the Tablecloths. I was euphoric.
  • Had I known more about him, I would have been very excited about signing Yann.

As it was I was excited by Powell's signings from BWP to the players he signed in the summer of 2011. This was not necessarily due to the outstanding class of the individuals but rather a large number of players who had successful experience at playing at this level playing as regulars in teams that had achieved promotion, such as Morrison, or had reached the play offs such as Wiggins and Hollanads.
  • Other than BWP all of the Chris Powell signings were pretty meh to begin with... Knew who Paul Hayes was from his Scunthorpe days and remembered Ben Hamer from making a real bad mistake in an FA Cup game for Reading once.

Yet the others Morrison | Wiggins | Stephens (especially) etc. I knew nothing about them really

Was quite pleased when we got Luke Varney in from Crewe I thought he'd be better than how he turned out and was quite excited about the prospect of signing Gudmundsson (or was that just the club he was coming from?) - Ultimately its the problem at this level... Even if we're down here for years, none of the players will really be household names so because of that its difficult to become really excited about any of them until they've been seen in a Charlton shirt.
  • Fanni got me excited
  • JBG, BWP
  • I was pretty impressed when we signed Rudd given that he'd played a fair few games in the Premier League the season before
  • I was quite excited when we signed Todorov or was that before 2007, and also Paul Hayes and Danny Green although none of them done that well.

Still remember his goal at shithurst.
    Get in
  • Sponsored links:

Still remember his goal at shithurst.
    Get in
    Yes remember the celebrations well.
  • I remember most people being pretty excited at the signings of Igor and JBG

I suspect that the signings of Varney and McLeod at the time would have been greeted positively as a statement of intent etc
  • So since the start of this thread, the most players that can be agreed on is Gudmundsson and Wright Phillips.

My point is we have probably signed around 100 players on permanent deals or loans since 2007 and only a handful had the majority of people's agreement on here, that it was a great signing.

Either lower your expectations under this lot, if more players come in,crack on as before or wait to see what they are like after a few games.
  • By far the most exciting at the time was when sky (I think) got it wrong and said we'd signed dale jennings, rather than dale Stephens.
  • shirty5 said:

So since the start of this thread, the most players that can be agreed on is Gudmundsson and Wright Phillips.

My point is we have probably signed around 100 players on permanent deals or loans since 2007 and only a handful had the majority of people's agreement on here, that it was a great signing.

Either lower your expectations under this lot, if more players come in,crack on as before or wait to see what they are like after a few games.

I'm not sure of the point your trying to make - "this lot" have not been in charge since 2007 so I don't understand the significance of the timeline?

Also, I don't think we need "great signings" that everyone is in awe of when they are made, Chris Powell proved that was not necessary for success.