Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Cover to Cover - I put a spell on you

Henry - hope you don't mind me barging in?
I deliberately swerved Screamin' Jay Hawkins iconic original and the obvious choice of Nina Simone.
One modern version by Joss Stone (with old Jeff Beck) and 60's version by Creedence Clearwater Revival.
My pick is CCR because they manage to out-scream Jay Hawkins!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bunNRu4mBbY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zwCALR8ZAm8

Comments

• CCR easy all day long
  • Of the two, CCR. But both of the ''obvious'' answers are head and shoulders above either (so can see why not included.)
  • CCR no competition - I absolutely love em, what a band. John Fogarty has one of the greatest voices ever and is a great songwriter, and I cannot stand Jeff Beck!
  • Greenie said:

CCR no competition - I absolutely love em, what a band. John Fogarty has one of the greatest voices ever and is a great songwriter, and I cannot stand Jeff Beck!

Joss Stone though! When will she realise that she needs me as much as I need her?
  • Greenie said:

CCR no competition - I absolutely love em, what a band. John Fogarty has one of the greatest voices ever and is a great songwriter, and I cannot stand Jeff Beck!

Agree about Fogerty and CCR, one of my favourite singers and bands.
    What have you got against Jeff Beck, Greenie? Just curious.
  • CCR without any doubt.
  • CCR is a great version, other one very mediocre.
  • Think I prefer CCR here although I like all the artists involved here.

Just had to test my memory cells on this as I discovered this tune back in the sixties as an album track. Listened to Eric Burden’s terrific vocals on the Animals version and realised that that wasn’t it, and then had a listen to Them’s version. That’s the one for me, brilliant Van Morrison vocals with a haunting tenor sax playing alongside.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zgzwhhJO-Lw
  • Saga Lout said:

Greenie said:

Joss Stone though! When will she realise that she needs me as much as I need her?
    Yep I'm sure she's on the look out for a tall retired guitar player with snow on the roof mate!
  • Arthur Brown did a version.
  • Sponsored links:

• good post

CCR for me
  • Greenie said:

Hi Mate, Re Jeff Beck, I just think he's so over rated, I dont like the way he plays guitar (subjective, I know) or the cut of his jib, I have played with better guitar players than Beck IMHO, sorry I cant be more constructive than that.
    To add some balance, I done mind a bit of 'Hi Ho Silver Lining' when I'm well.
  • Greenie said:

Greenie said:

Hi Mate, Re Jeff Beck, I just think he's so over rated, I dont like the way he plays guitar (subjective, I know) or the cut of his jib, I have played with better guitar players than Beck IMHO, sorry I cant be more constructive than that.
    I'm not a huge fan of Mr Beck, but he does have a distinctive style. I had an album which featured a lot of top guitarists guesting - he was one of a select few who you could identify just by listening. Brian May is another one - like him or loath him at least you know it's him.
  • CCR is a great version, other one very mediocre.

Don't actually know very much about her but seems to be critically acclaimed, having watched that clip I found her "performance" incredibly contrived. The screaming was just that screaming, at one point she seemed to have put on an American accent ??????? Agreed Alwaysneil, very mediocre
  • Saga Lout said:

Greenie said:

Greenie said:

I'm not a huge fan of Mr Beck, but he does have a distinctive style. I had an album which featured a lot of top guitarists guesting - he was one of a select few who you could identify just by listening. Brian May is another one - like him or loath him at least you know it's him.
    All irrelevant mate, all the while Beck is wearing that shit around his withered bicep.....