Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Cover to Cover: Mixed Up Shook Up Girl

For Diane or Theresa perhaps

Listen to both versions without prejudice and say which you prefer and why.

The 1964 Do-wop/"Northern" Soul original by Patty and the Emblems or the 1977 Latin/New York punk cover by Mink Dr Ville

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F3KgGuxAByU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HmLYSd74pxw

Comments

• Mink Deville sounds a lot more soulful.
  • Mink Deville is less formulaic as the Patty and the Emblems seems to be for the pattern of it's time.
    The Mink one seems like a homage to a song fondly loved and treated with respect, but it is not the original.
    However Mink Deville for me, definitely.
  • This one is going down like a lead zeppelin.

I suspected that with a less well know song fewer people would comment or is there another reason.

And don't understand @charltonbob 's lol to Tel
  • not that keen on either version but I'll go with Mink DeVille

I suspected that with a less well know song fewer people would comment or is there another reason.

Is there another reason? Yup, I dislike both equally.
  • edited June 2017
  • Mink DeVille.

I once had Willy DeVille and Robert Hubner (West German GM and world title candidate) kibitzing my game while I was playing in a chess tournament. Only one of them was trying to pick me up, the other was just interested in the game.

Old songs, not well known, so a lack of interest.
  • I'm not too keen on either but if i had to pick it would be Willy DeVille

Old songs, not well known, so a lack of interest.
    That's my point.

The age of the song or whether it's well known shouldn't matter. "Listen without prejudice"
  • Sponsored links:

Really ? Mink Deville sounds a lot more soulful ?

I don't think there's anything soulful about Mink DeVille's version (& there's nothing wrong with that, it just isn't.)
  • Don't like either. Patty's is dull. Mink DeVille's is appalling dross.
  • Stig said:

Don't like either. Patty's is dull. Mink DeVille's is appalling dross.

Not Patty's best for sure
  • I'd never heard the song.
    Listening to the two versions I think I prefer Patty and the Emblems. It has a certain 60s innocence lacking in Mink DeVilles version.

I don't think there's anything soulful about Mink DeVille's version (& there's nothing wrong with that, it just isn't.)
    That's a legitimate opinion but you just LOL'ed the comment without commenting yourself so there was no context.
  • Stig said:

Don't like either. Patty's is dull. Mink DeVille's is appalling dross.

Not Patty's best for sure

That's a legitimate opinion but you just LOL'ed the comment without commenting yourself so there was no context.
    I knew what I meant :smiley:
  • Usually prefer originals but Mink DeVille for me.