Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

D-Day Rememembered - 6 June 1944

edited June 2009 in Not Sports Related
65th Anniversary of D-Day landings in Normandy. Surprised that this hasn't been mentioned already:

Linky: D-Day remembered

Comments

• Except it was 6th June :-)
  • We should never forget them.
  • [cite]Posted By: Addickted[/cite]Except it was 6th June :-)

Oops! ..... I was only out by 8 hours, though ;o)

Why is the Dakota doing the celebration parachute re-enactment today then ....?
  • [cite]Posted By: T.C.E[/cite]We should never forget them.

Or the date, Oggy : - )

Brave men who fought and some of whom died fighting fascism.
  • [cite]Posted By: Oggy Red[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Addickted[/cite]Except it was 6th June :-)

Makes a change for the Yanks to be early.
  • [cite]Posted By: Oggy Red[/cite]

Don't know but I guess cos some of the paratroops and gliders went in over night.
  • DA9DA9
    edited June 2009
    Had a family take one of my people carriers yesterday to take their father over for the celebrations, hasn't seen some of his comrades for over 25 years, almost cried listening to them.

We owe all involved, including all the fisherman and private boat owners a huge debt.
  • Well said all.
  • They are always in our thoughts.
    Everything we can do & say freely is down to these people
  • The father of an ex-work colleague was there and was badly wounded on D-Day. He was 19 and conscripted into the German army - given a gun very much against his will and was then sent to Normandy. When he regained consciousness he was in a British hospital. For the rest of his life he thanked the British for saving his life but also wondered why he wasn't just left to die. But that is what the fight against fascism was about.
  • Sponsored links:

• [cite]Posted By: bigstemarra[/cite]Well said all.

Agreed
  • if I can, I'm going to take my kids in October, make them realise what sacrifices were made by a young generation against tyranny and fascism, just so that we can enjoy freedom of thought, speech and movement.
  • God bless em all.
  • Davo55 said:

Thinking off my late Dad.

Not quite a D-Day veteran but landed in Normandy 12th June 1944 and saw active service in France, Belgium, Holland and Germany in the RAOC (Royal Army Ordnance Corps). Just one of very many heroes, but a very special dad to me.

My grandad also landed in Normandy D-Day, plus 6. He might of gone with another unit on D-Day, but it was settled on the spin of a coin! He told me lots of interesting stories from the war and I wish he was still around to re-tell them. There must have been a great sense of optimism after those landings that the war would soon be over.
  • An extraordinary time. So many amazing stories amongst such struggle and suffering.
  • Addickted said:

[cite]Posted By: Oggy Red[/cite]

Makes a change for the Yanks to be early.

https://youtu.be/6omQ5JjjLsE?t=3m51s
  • Very brave men ..
  • Sponsored links:

• Incredible that so many more were killed in the following weeks than died on the beaches.

Please God, never again.
  • edited June 2016
    Davo55 said:

Thinking off my late Dad.

Not quite a D-Day veteran but landed in Normandy 12th June 1944 and saw active service in France, Belgium, Holland and Germany in the RAOC (Royal Army Ordnance Corps). Just one of very many heroes, but a very special dad to me.

Likewise although my father was Middlesex regiment transport division driving armoured personnel carriers, never really liked to speak about his experiences though. Had nearly all his 20's taken from him, 21 when conscripted and 28 when demobbed but lived to 90 and supported the Addicks for 75 of those years. Was certainly my hero now gone but never forgotten and always in my heart.
  • My Grandad was in the 2nd world war till the end even though he was 41 around the time of D-day. Sadly I never knew him as he passed away in 1957. Would have been good to hear his stories and experiences.
  • Greenie said:

My grandad Lionel Stanley. The Royal Hampshires.
    He was a soldier from 1923-1951, he joined up as a boy soldier, they were so poor it was the only way he could get a pair of long trousers, he fought in India in 1925, he was at the Retreat of Dunkirk with the BEF in 1940, then landed on Gold beach at Arromanche on 6/6/44 at approx 7.30am, we was 35 years old.
    He was also regimental boxing champion, and post war, fought bare knuckle.
    He was an old school 'fighting man' and told me loads of stories when I was younger about what he did during his army career, and went into a lot of detail about D-Day and fighting through France, I wont go into detail here, except I remember him saying that he wasn't keen on bayonet charges (its not the nicest thing to do to a man) suffice to say he did his bit.
    I still miss him.

hero.
  • Greenie said:

My grandad Lionel Stanley. The Royal Hampshires.
    He was a soldier from 1923-1951, he joined up as a boy soldier, they were so poor it was the only way he could get a pair of long trousers, he fought in India in 1925, he was at the Retreat of Dunkirk with the BEF in 1940, then landed on Gold beach at Arromanche on 6/6/44 at approx 7.30am, we was 35 years old.
    He was also regimental boxing champion, and post war, fought bare knuckle.
    He was an old school 'fighting man' and told me loads of stories when I was younger about what he did during his army career, and went into a lot of detail about D-Day and fighting through France, I wont go into detail here, except I remember him saying that he wasn't keen on bayonet charges (its not the nicest thing to do to a man) suffice to say he did his bit.
    I still miss him.

Of course you miss him - but I'm sure you remember him with immense pride, as you should.

A hero.
  • edited June 2017
    Yes, we must be grateful to the heroes who fought for freedom and a better world. Like my Grandad who was in the Navy and lost many of his mates when his boat was sunk. I first started coming to the Valley with him :) I have been to the normandy beaches and visited the museums there and the courage of the soldiers landing on the beaches was immense. Giving their lives for right. We owe it to them to always do our best for others and maintain the freedoms they fought for.