Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Depeche mode London Arena 3/6

Anyone else there tonight ? Thought that the acoustics were good and was amazed how many people were there .it was rammed .didnt recognise too much from their back catalogue until the end .Dave Gahan looks incredibly like Begsbie from Trainspotting these days but his voice has held up well .Astonished to note that they played the Scottish National Party rally song and invited Alex Salmond and Nicola Sturgeon up on the stage with them for a singalong : " The grabbing hands grab all they can , everything counts in large amounts " !

Comments

• ashley said:

Anyone else there tonight ? Thought that the acoustics were good and was amazed how many people were there .it was rammed .didnt recognise too much from their back catalogue until the end .Dave Gahan looks incredibly like Begsbie from Trainspotting these days but his voice has held up well .Astonished to note that they played the Scottish National Party rally song and invited Alex Salmond and Nicola Sturgeon up on the stage with them for a singalong : " The grabbing hands grab all they can , everything counts in large amounts " !

Did this bit actually happen? My parents were there and said they didn't see this. They can be quite oblivious mind.
  • ashley said:

Great gig, place was rammed. You didn't recognise too much from their back catalogue until later on? Really? 'Barrel of a Gun; A Pain that I'm Used to; In Your Room; World in my Eyes; Question of Lust' etc.

• ashley said:

Did this bit actually happen? My parents were there and said they didn't see this. They can be quite oblivious mind.
    No, it didn't
  • Yeah was a good night , I'm still not a big fan of Daves vocals , I'm more of Martin Gore fan myself , a good cross section of the back catalogue and I thought they engaged a lot better with the crowed this time. I will say one thing , ive never come across so many arse holes is such a small area , nearly kicked off a number of times over the evening.
  • ashley said:

No, it didn't
    Fake news then or someone with a sense of humour ??
  • Thought it a bit slow to get going. Weird day light kick off and very early, not much atmosphere. Once it got going it was a great set, atmosphere built and all in all a great night.

The 90 min shuffle to get onto a tube was hideous though.
  • Agree the start was oddly lacking in atmosphere but once it got dark and the tunes got going, it was great.

Great stadium but must be awful for football.
  • Agree the start was oddly lacking in atmosphere but once it got dark and the tunes got going, it was great.

Great stadium but must be awful for football.

Of course, having to watch West Ham fortnightly cannot be pleasant!
  • ashley said:

Great gig, place was rammed. You didn't recognise too much from their back catalogue until later on? Really? 'Barrel of a Gun; A Pain that I'm Used to; In Your Room; World in my Eyes; Question of Lust' etc.

Thanks . I am going to have to check out a bit more closely some of those songs .Admittedly Martin Gore's short vocal cameo was a pleasant interlude .Who was that bloke in the red top helping out on keyboards and other stuff ?.He looked like Robert Smith from the Cure but it couldn't have been him surely ? Alex Salmond looked totally out of place with his bagpipes and his hand held out hoping for yet more English tax payers' cash though .He spoiled completely Personal Jesus at the end as well and I won't be voting SNP this coming week .
  • Sponsored links:

• Was a great gig. Defo slow start but Gahan is a real showman and great tunes, some 30 years old! Really picked up. Pity there were no moody shirt sellers outside.

Ground terrible for football, stank of a soulless corporate MBA wonderland. Bobby Moore stand was just a lump of concrete.
  • ashley said:

ashley said:

Thanks . I am going to have to check out a bit more closely some of those songs .Admittedly Martin Gore's short vocal cameo was a pleasant interlude .Who was that bloke in the red top helping out on keyboards and other stuff ?.He looked like Robert Smith from the Cure but it couldn't have been him surely ? Alex Salmond looked totally out of place with his bagpipes and his hand held out hoping for yet more English tax payers' cash though .He spoiled completely Personal Jesus at the end as well and I won't be voting SNP this coming week .
    Peter Gordeno (junior) mate. Been recording/touring with them for nearly 20 years now. As has Christian Eigner, the drummer.
  • I spotted Petr Cech hanging around on the concourses before the concert with his missus and another couple - looks like a completely normal (albeit very tall!) dude.
  • O2 concert announced for November .
  • Thoroughly enjoyed the day....beers in East Tap then EXP Cantina were decent....fortunate to have Golden Circle tickets so had an excellent view.
    As above, was a bit slow to start with......Everything Counts seemed to do the trick.
  • edited June 2017
    My son went said it was excellent. Next day was the highlight of his weekend though Star Wars exhibition at the O2.
  • fadgadget said:

O2 concert announced for November .

http://www.theo2.co.uk/events/detail/depeche-mode

Wed. 22 Nov. - Tickets go on sale 9th June.

• Was a great gig. Defo slow start but Gahan is a real showman and great tunes, some 30 years old! Really picked up. Pity there were no moody shirt sellers outside.

Ground terrible for football, stank of a soulless corporate MBA wonderland. Bobby Moore stand was just a lump of concrete.

They were selling the moody shirts at Stratford station for a tenner.
  • edited June 2017
    bbob said:

Thought it a bit slow to get going. Weird day light kick off and very early, not much atmosphere. Once it got going it was a great set, atmosphere built and all in all a great night.

The 90 min shuffle to get onto a tube was hideous though.

Yes, it was slow to get going and call me a glory boy (probably am re DM), but they didn't play enough of their biggest hits for me.

I was somewhat disappointed.

I usually work my way towards the exit, for the encore, to get away sharpish.

I left with the masses at the finish, but didn't have to queue at all.

6/10.
  • If they didn't play "Wrong" or "In my Shoes" then it wasn't worth going........
  • Sponsored links:

• Or Princess Di is wearing a new dress.
  • If they didn't play "Wrong" or "In my Shoes" then it wasn't worth going........

They played both
  • They didn't play, Just Can't Get Enough, New Life. Strangelove and a few other of my faves.
  • They didn't play, Just Can't Get Enough, New Life. Strangelove and a few other of my faves.

80's music..........irrelevant mush.

Just Can't Get Enough was one of their best ever hits.

Did they play Stripped? Another belter.

Just Can't Get Enough was one of their best ever hits.

Did they play Stripped? Another belter.
    Yes
  • ashley said:

ashley said:

Peter Gordeno was the guest synth / guitar man. He's toured with them many times as has the drummer Christian Eigner. I have seen them live loads, great band, especially considering they have never officially stopped, unlike other bands from that era. Good write up in the NME, not such a good one tho in the Telegraph, they really are a band that divide opinions but I love them !! Hoping to see them again in November...
  • Thought the support band The Horrors were good also...
  • Good to see that fat selfish ignorant moron Alex Salmond lose his seat and to the Conservatives as well ." Reach out and touch faith " indeed !