Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

England squad to face Scotland and France

Full 25-man England squad

Goalkeepers:

Jack Butland (Stoke), Fraser Forster (Southampton), Joe Hart (Torino, on loan from Man City), Tom Heaton (Burnley)

Defenders:

Ryan Bertrand (Southampton), Gary Cahill (Chelsea), Nathaniel Clyne (Liverpool), Aaron Cresswell (West Ham), Ben Gibson (Middlesbrough), Phil Jones (Man Utd), Chris Smalling (Man Utd), John Stones (Man City), Kieran Trippier (Tottenham), Kyle Walker (Tottenham)

Midfielders:

Dele Alli (Tottenham), Eric Dier (Tottenham), Adam Lallana (Liverpool), Jesse Lingard (Man Utd), Jake Livermore (West Brom), Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain (Arsenal), Raheem Sterling (Man City)

Forwards:

Jermain Defoe (Sunderland), Harry Kane (Tottenham), Marcus Rashford (Man Utd), Jamie Vardy (Leicester)

I've just had a look at this and to me, it looks like one of our weakest squads in years. What do others think?

I'm a big fan of the Spurs stable, although Kane struggled for us in the Euros last year. Some of the names in that midfield though, Livermore, Lingaard, Oxlade Chamberlain, even Lallana and Sterling.

I think we're starting to see a real knock on effect of the might of the Prem and the quality of the youngsters coming through

Comments

• I was quite pleased with the England sqaud, certainly a beatable sqaud.

• Kane and Defoe up top would be interesting.
  • Agree that it looks weak, but we've had strong looking squads in the past that have completely failed.
    If, and it's a big if, Southgate can find a group who gel then we might get beyond the group stage next year. Hooray.
  • Lallana is a quality player, and always done well for England. Sterling is frustrating, but still decent.

Quite a few players missing through injury, while others have fallen our of favour who were regulars a couple of years ago (e.g. Delph and Townsend). Also why no Ross Barkely?

I assume Livermore is in there as cover for defensive/energetic midfield role, with Henderson injured. I'd have preferred Drinkwater
  • You could make a very decent XI out of those lot. Especially if you went for a Conte style 3-4-3.

Hart
    Stones Jones Cahill
    Walker Ox Dier Bertrand
    Alli Kane Lallana
  • Centre back is a weak spot at the minute, ever since Rio and Terry got too old.
  • Centre back is a weak spot at the minute, ever since Rio and Terry got too old.

ROJO: )
  • Forgot how bad we are.
  • Actually looks like one of our better squads to me, lots of young talent.
  • Sponsored links:

• Plus the experience of players like Defoe.
  • Looks a pretty poor squad to me.

Spain have a better squad for the U21 Euro's than our senior side!

• The strength of the squad is irellevent as we've seen time and time again. Our best players are still technically and mentally weaker than any of the decent teams and even many of the semi decent ones.
  • Sign of the times the complete lack of hype before a big England v Scotland fixture.

Maybe my rose tinted glasses but the build up in 99/00 seemed massive compared to nowadays.

A sign of the premier league dominance since then. Such a shame.

But I can't wait personally - first trip to Hampden for me and should be a cracking atmosphere for a Sat eve.
  • DRAddick said:

The strength of the squad is irellevent as we've seen time and time again. Our best players are still technically and mentally weaker than any of the decent teams and even many of the semi decent ones.

I agree. That's exactly why I posted my thoughts. Take the first xi

GK (don't know who anymore is first choice

Walker (like him) Cahill (good, but not great) Stones (has potential, but has had bad season), LB (don't know who will fill in)

Dier (good player) Alli (class, huge potential) Who do you pick for the remaining 2 positions out the rest, I'm not that inspired by any of them

Upfront Kane, class but has struggled at int level so far. Again, look at the options for his partner. Defoe in 2017 is still hanging around. I'm amazed. I like him, but he's not really been a consistent intl in his prime.

I realise you can tweak and tailor the formation, i largely used 4-4-2, but there's some big gaps there
  • Defoe is still boss up front to be fair.

Lookman will be in the squad in the near future IMO. Give it 2-3 years

Saw the name Ceballos in that squad and did a double take :smiley:

• Sign of the times the complete lack of hype before a big England v Scotland fixture.

Maybe my rose tinted glasses but the build up in 99/00 seemed massive compared to nowadays.

But I can't wait personally - first trip to Hampden for me and should be a cracking atmosphere for a Sat eve.

Also a reflection on how poor the current Scotland team is, and the unexciting nature of qualification matches for England

- Most people expect a comfortable England victory, even in Hampden
    - England will qualify easily for the WC
    - England will then flop in the WC

Repeat cycle for the Euros...
  • cabbles said:

DRAddick said:

The strength of the squad is irellevent as we've seen time and time again. Our best players are still technically and mentally weaker than any of the decent teams and even many of the semi decent ones.

I agree. That's exactly why I posted my thoughts. Take the first xi

GK (don't know who anymore is first choice

Walker (like him) Cahill (good, but not great) Stones (has potential, but has had bad season), LB (don't know who will fill in)

Dier (good player) Alli (class, huge potential) Who do you pick for the remaining 2 positions out the rest, I'm not that inspired by any of them

Upfront Kane, class but has struggled at int level so far. Again, look at the options for his partner. Defoe in 2017 is still hanging around. I'm amazed. I like him, but he's not really been a consistent intl in his prime.

I realise you can tweak and tailor the formation, i largely used 4-4-2, but there's some big gaps there
    To get the best out of Kane, i think we need to try and play the way that Spurs do with Alli playing just off him. Lallana can drift in from the left like Son does. The problem of course is that we don't really have anyone like Eriksen.
  • the scottsih suns preview of the match is laughable at best;

https://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/news/1100178/england-yobs-plot-weekend-of-booze-fuelled-chaos-in-glasgow-as-scotland-take-on-england-in-crunch-clash/

went to the england scotland game at wembley and the scots were no angels.

anyone else on here heading up?
  • Sponsored links:

• I was quite pleased with the England sqaud, certainly a beatable sqaud.

Yes France might do ok.

England will comfortably beat Scotland, France game could be tough - doubt there's anything less that the players want to do than play a Friendly against France in mid-June !
  • edited June 2017

the scottsih suns preview of the match is laughable at best;

https://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/news/1100178/england-yobs-plot-weekend-of-booze-fuelled-chaos-in-glasgow-as-scotland-take-on-england-in-crunch-clash/

Doing the double header, Glasgow and Paris. Really looking forward to Saturday, hoping we might get our first world class performance from Harry Kane for England.
  • edited June 2017

Sign of the times the complete lack of hype before a big England v Scotland fixture.

It is a shame, this would have been huge 20 years ago.

Still looking forward to it though. BBQ at the ready, beer in fridge, Subbuteo down from loft, table football and swingball for kids, wives invited as well to look after kids. Bound to piss down all day.

• the scottsih suns preview of the match is laughable at best;

Doing the double header, Glasgow and Paris. Really looking forward to Saturday, hoping we might get our first world class performance from Harry Kane for England.
    yeah just the trip to Glasgow for me on a train up Friday morning and back Sunday lunchtime, looking forward to a good drink up and a cracking atmosphere, unfortunately it look like rain macs may have to be at the ready.
  • edited June 2017
    se9addick said:

I was quite pleased with the England sqaud, certainly a beatable sqaud.

Yes France might do ok.

England will comfortably beat Scotland, France game could be tough - doubt there's anything less that the players want to do than play a Friendly against France in mid-June !
    The talent available to France these days is frightening, they could name an XI of players they've left out of their squad that would likely still beat us.

Looking through it, Mandanda, Laporte, Sagna, Evra, Sakho, Cabaye, Bakayoko, Schneiderlin, Ribery, Benzema and Martial not even in their squad!!

'Kepa' the keeper
  • England games are something I want to do more off and want to do some away games at some point and of course a major tournament is the aim.

Many people do away games regular?
  • @roseandcrown be honest im pretty new to the away game scene started with france last year which i enjoyed done wales and russia, then done slovakia in september and have booked up scotland and malta this year, theres a lot of seasoned charlton lads that go @The Organiser probably being the go to man for any questions.
  • Going up Saturday morning fly to Edinburgh then train across to Glasgow, fly back Sunday morning, looking forward to it
  • @roseandcrown be honest im pretty new to the away game scene started with france last year which i enjoyed done wales and russia, then done slovakia in september and have booked up scotland and malta this year, theres a lot of seasoned charlton lads that go @The Organiser probably being the go to man for any questions.

Did you just sign up and pay the supports club fee and apply for each game? cheers