Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Count Arthur Strong

Prime time slot on BBC1 tonight for this 'alleged' comedy.

Discuss!

I think the title is correct.

Comments

• Very good on the radio. Format completely changed and ruined for the TV: awful.
  • When I first bumped into this I fully expected to hate it but ended up quite enjoying its utter silliness.
    I will be watching the third series. I am hoping Zahra Ahmadi will be featuring again.
  • Is he Holmes's replacement?
  • Puts me in mind of Harry Worth.

• It's that hat I think.
  • edited May 2017
    Dreadful show whatever the format. I dunno if I'm just, somehow, not getting it but it's about as funny as this sentence. I was shocked when I found Graham Linehan was involved in the writing as I usually love his stuff but this is just rubbish, but the Beeb seems to think it's brilliant as they always bigged it up when it was on Radio 4 and of all the radio comedies they could have chosen to transfer to TV they chose this one. I watch and, particularly, listen to a lot of comedy and although Radio 4 still puts plenty out it's quite a while since the Beeb put out a new show that was anything above average and when they do they end up tucked away on BBC 3, like Uncle and People Just do Nothing, while stuff like this and Mrs Brown's Boys goes out at prime time on BBC 1.
  • Dreadful show whatever the format. I dunno if I'm just, somehow, not getting it but it's about as funny as this sentence. I was shocked when I found Graham Linehan was involved in the writing as I usually love his stuff but this is just rubbish, but the Beeb seems to think it's brilliant as they always bigged it up when it was on Radio 4 and of all the radio comedies they could have chosen to transfer to TV they chose this one. I watch and, particularly, listen to a lot of comedy and although Radio 4 still puts plenty out it's quite a while since the Beeb put out a new show that was anything above average and when they do they end up tucked away on BBC 3, like Uncle and People Just do Nothing, while stuff like this and Mrs Brown's Boys goes out at prime time on BBC 1.

Chabuddy G - brilliant
  • Its the BBC who sho re runs of Bargain Hunt on a Saturday lunch time, what do you expect?
  • How does shite like this , Citizen Khan and that hospital thing get on the tv? Makes me want to cancel my license.
  • if a so called comedy is on BBC 1 then it's more than likely going to be shit.
  • Sponsored links:

• Its the BBC who sho re runs of Bargain Hunt on a Saturday lunch time, what do you expect?

I expect ex patriots to worry about tv where they live. Let us worry about the BBC.
  • you're not watching the right BBC channel. Try BBC4. Over the last 7 days they've shown the Extinction of the Dinosaurs programme, A 5 part OJ Simpson documentary (and a re-run of the mini series aired last year)and various music programmes including TOTP from Dec 1983 with classics from TFF, Madness, Howard Jones & Billy Joel.

Doesn't sound all that funny.
  • Uboat said:

you're not watching the right BBC channel. Try BBC4. Over the last 7 days they've shown the Extinction of the Dinosaurs programme, A 5 part OJ Simpson documentary (and a re-run of the mini series aired last year)and various music programmes including TOTP from Dec 1983 with classics from TFF, Madness, Howard Jones & Billy Joel.

Doesn't sound all that funny.
    Howard Jones's hair was funny
  • iainment said:

Its the BBC who sho re runs of Bargain Hunt on a Saturday lunch time, what do you expect?

I expect ex patriots to worry about tv where they live. Let us worry about the BBC.
    Some of us ex patriots watch hardly anything but British TV.
  • That was truly awful.
  • iainment said:

Its the BBC who sho re runs of Bargain Hunt on a Saturday lunch time, what do you expect?

Only watch British TV - listen to the CBC but never watch it - thanks the lord for TVChaos
  • Luisa... What would Beyonce do?

On BBC 1 now to a sell out crowd.

It's worse than an STD
  • Luisa... What would Beyonce do?

On BBC 1 now to a sell out crowd.

It's worse than an STD

At least these get better.

• iainment said:

But are you expatriates or no longer loyal subjects? :wink:
  • Sponsored links:

• The last BBC comedy that I loved was the thick of it. It's all been a bit meh since then.
  • cafcfan said:

When I first bumped into this I fully expected to hate it but ended up quite enjoying its utter silliness.
    I will be watching the third series. I am hoping Zahra Ahmadi will be featuring again.

Get this. I understand why people don't like it, but it's better under the surface than other 'gentle' comedies because of its absurdity. It's really not another Miranda.

Great post above re Uncle and People Just Do Nothing. They may be BBC2 style comedies rather than BBC1 but streets ahead of the type of populist crap the Beeb still put out, even after Extras lampooned it years ago.
  • iainment said:

I wouldnt have a telly in the house at all if it was my choice mate, but the BBC is still shit regardless if I watch it or not
  • Chizz said:

Very good on the radio. Format completely changed and ruined for the TV: awful.

this
  • Not even Zahra Ahmadi's talent and beauty make this program watchable.
  • The first series was very good. I was looking forward to last week's episode but it was utter shite.

Best BBC comedy by far is Still Game which, it seems, not many have heard of !
  • Still Game is great, as is another Scottish comedy - Two Doors Down.

The great thing about the beeb is they are able to put out stuff for the moronic majority, like Mrs Browns boys, and gems like the aforementioned Uncle, The Detectorists and Bad Education on the minor channels for the more discerning viewer...

The only comedy I watch on ITV is Plebs, which is also tucked away on ITV3. Other than Benidorm, do ITV actually commission any sit-coms at all now?
  • The last BBC comedy that I loved was the thick of it. It's all been a bit meh since then.

I suppose it's about taste, but I see series 1 of 'Dectectorists' is available on iplayer, and although not raucous I think it is a great comedy effort.
  • PWR
    Complete wanc
  • edited May 2017
    seth plum said:

The last BBC comedy that I loved was the thick of it. It's all been a bit meh since then.

I suppose it's about taste, but I see series 1 of 'Dectectorists' is available on iplayer, and although not raucous I think it is a great comedy effort.
    Detectorists is fantastic. Old school genteel British comedy. All the lovely countryside in it makes me homesick too.