Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Youth Tournaments (U20 World Cup and Toulon Tournament 2017)

Both start this weekend. Ade Lookman is headed to the U20 World Cup and Ezri Konsa will be at the Toulon Tournament.

I always really enjoy the youth tournaments. The rawness of it all makes it more fun. I remember the first time I saw JFC and Jordan Cousins was at the U-17 World Cup a few years back.

Comments

• edited May 2017
    England v Spain in the final of the u17 European championship on Friday too
  • edited May 2017
    Konsa has been transferred into the World Cup Squad...

http://www.cafc.co.uk/news/article/2016-17/charlton-ezri-konsa-england-u20-world-cup-3720543.aspx

Guess that means (like with Lookman last season) if he's still around come the start of the season we might not see him until the latter Pre-Season Friendlies...
  • England v Spain in under 17s final tonight at 7PM on Eurosport 2.

Might watch this, any ideas if lookman or konsa will feature?

The clue is in Under 17s.

The clue is in Under 17s.
    What a dipshit I am. Think I'll just stay in the pub then.
  • Konsa has been transferred into the World Cup Squad...

http://www.cafc.co.uk/news/article/2016-17/charlton-ezri-konsa-england-u20-world-cup-3720543.aspx

Guess that means (like with Lookman last season) if he's still around come the start of the season we might not see him until the latter Pre-Season Friendlies...

Nice!!!! The World Cup is definitely the more prestigious of the two this year, so it's ace that he's getting to go. In looking at England's squad, I thought they looked a bit light in midfield and defense. It's a big honor for him as he's never been capped at any level for England (that I'm aware of). It really shows his talent, and also the important of playing a full season in senior football.

The U20 World Cup ends June 11 at the latest, so he should still have a good amount of time to have a little rest and holiday.

England start their tournament against Argentine tomorrow morning at 8:30am BST.
  • England winning 1-0 after 25 mins
  • England 2-1 up after 58
  • Sponsored links:

• Have we got anyone in the England U17 team?
  • Just put it on. Some of these kids are huge and look at least 20!
  • Davo55 said:

Have we got anyone in the England U17 team?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2017_UEFA_European_Under-17_Championship_squads

Nope, decent mixture. Nice to see AFCW have a player in there.

Game isn't on here but have a MBM up somewhere in my tabs.

For a long time with youth football in England there was the reputation of picking the biggest/most athletic kids for the age group. That fortunately seems to be fading. In going through the squad for the U20 World Cup, it's not the biggest. Decent amount of technical skill in there though.
  • We seem to be pretty successful at youth level which questions the coaching debate we continually have. The problem is the transition from youth to senior. If the big clubs swallow up all the talent then they spend their development years in the u21 league that's not competitive enough. Add in the poor managers we've had at senior level and it goes a small way explaining why we are shite in major tournaments.
  • Last few seconds....
    C'mon England.
  • late equaliser for spain. going to pens.
  • Wow Spain equalise last kick of game. 2-2.
  • Ball cocks.
  • have to say England let that happen.
  • The goalie has been pants so he needs to redeem himself
  • Sponsored links:

• Awful goalkeeping.

Will be interesting watching the new format for pens.
  • ABBA method of pens
  • I thought the only way it works in tennis is that you have to win by two points. I don't see how this makes much difference.
  • Based on what I saw (last 25 minutes or so) Spain looked much the better side, to be fair. Still hope we win the shoot-out though.
  • Gary Barlow scores first in the new ABBA format.
  • edited May 2017

I thought the only way it works in tennis is that you have to win by two points. I don't see how this makes much difference.

It's said that the team taking the first penalty has an advantage, because it puts more pressure on the second team (as they are usually trailing). This way neither side is behind more than the other side (theory).
  • Another penalty shootout failure.
  • Situational normal.
  • Davo55 said:

Based on what I saw (last 25 minutes or so) Spain looked much the better side, to be fair. Still hope we win the shoot-out though.

England played well over the 80 minutes
  • Davo55 said:

Based on what I saw (last 25 minutes or so) Spain looked much the better side, to be fair. Still hope we win the shoot-out though.

England played well over the 80 minutes
    Fair enough. I only saw part of the game. Disappointed for the lads. The keeper looked a bit suspect and didn't really get close to any of Spain's pens.