Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Pre-season friendlies?

Has anyone heard any rumours or to be confirmeds? Apparently Karl Robinson likes taking his teams to Ireland.

Comments

• Definitely Ireland. Two guys behind me yesterday were discussing that the Club had offered them a package to go with the team, stay in the team hotel etc etc. They were obviously big sponsors of the Club as one was considering paying 20k to sponsor the youth team shirts or some such thing.
  • Are pre-season friendlies not normally announced by now ? Not sure if I'm getting confused but I was sure at least the Welling match was normally listed in the last programme of the season ?
  • se9addick said:

Are pre-season friendlies not normally announced by now ? Not sure if I'm getting confused but I was sure at least the Welling match was normally listed in the last programme of the season ?

No, don't think so plus season has ended very early this year.

But with team travelling to Ireland on 1 July not sure when Welling game will be.
  • Hopefully something in the Midlands, used to send a team to Kettering, mix of trials u23's and few squad men, good excuse as any to get out and have a beer.
  • I thought I heard or read a KR interview where he said the Welling friendly was on the 15th July. I could be wrong, but I remember thinking that I could still go as it doesn't clash with The Open which is the following weekend.
  • A wild guess at Derry with the Mikhail Kennedy link. Hopefully not on the 12th!
  • TelMc32 said:

A wild guess at Derry with the Mikhail Kennedy link. Hopefully not on the 12th!

Not that wild.
  • Do we have to wait for the deal to be completed before the Aussie Pre Season Tour is announced?
  • Sponsored links:

• I heard its against Cork City on the 19th.
  • edited May 2017
    JaShea99 said:

I heard its against Cork City on the 19th.

Cork city is a great place and plenty of decent bars as well.
  • Fixtures have been announced today - Crumlin (non league), UCD (Dublin) and Limerick. I might try and get over to the Limerick game, but its a 90 minute journey on a Tuesday evening so depends on work.
  • Crumlin?!

what a name.
  • Crumlin?!

what a name.

If only they were called Crumblin... that and the fact we could sign a player called Grimmer would be a sign the club are finally being honest about the direction were heading
  • Crumlin are Robbie Keanes schoolboy club
  • very famous through the "troubles", esp the Crumlin Road.............
  • Ollie Groome describes Limerick as being in the west of Ireland. Must have moved then.
  • el-pietro said:

Crumlin are Robbie Keanes schoolboy club

Nah you're thinking of Liverpool, Celtic, Aston Villa, and LA Galaxy mate.

• Crusty54 said:

Ollie Groome describes Limerick as being in the west of Ireland. Must have moved then.

It's beyond the pale.
  • Sponsored links:

• All my mums family live in Crumlin so will be heading over, wicked game for me!
  • Take it we don't intend to 'test' ourselves this preseason then
  • This is a complete waste of time and money. No benefit can be gained playing against these sides and only risks injury to key players. Yet another example of how badly this club is run. Can it get worse??
  • Crusty54 said:

Ollie Groome describes Limerick as being in the west of Ireland. Must have moved then.

Well it's not in the North, or East, or South, or middle for sure for sure.
  • BillG said:

This is a complete waste of time and money. No benefit can be gained playing against these sides and only risks injury to key players. Yet another example of how badly this club is run. Can it get worse??

Disagree.

They are warm up games abroad.

When we come back to the UK we'll play Ipswich and a couple of other league teams I'd guess given the gaps in the calendar.

They will be the test.
  • edited May 2017
    BillG said:

This is a complete waste of time and money. No benefit can be gained playing against these sides and only risks injury to key players. Yet another example of how badly this club is run. Can it get worse??

Early pre-season games for virtually all clubs are normally looseners against weaker opposition.

However, I do find it strange the team being out in Ireland a week before the games.

Three games in three days is unusual to say the least, it runs the risk of injury should game time not be managed correctly.
  • RedPanda said:

Has anyone heard any rumours or to be confirmeds? Apparently Karl Robinson likes taking his teams to Ireland.

I thought I heard we were playing Tipperary but that is a long way to go just to play a friendly.
    Not that far, seeing as you have to go through Tipp to get to Limerick from Dublin.
  • The Limmerick game;

He bought our club with no plan
    And quickly pissed off the true fan
    A scout who was ten
    Sold off our best men
    As the club slowly goes down the pan.

Give this man a promote!