Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Diving Bans from Next Season

Comments

• edited May 2017

Willfied Zaha will never get a game if he's banned every time he dives

He is a self confessed lover of grass and will be a groundsman when he retires....
  • Is Andy Johnson still about?
  • Totally agree with this, although it may have an impact on English teams in Europe, not to mention the national team. Rio Ferdinand pointed out a few years ago that cracking down on diving in the Premier League would make life difficult in Europe when they're coming up against players who aren't punished for chucking themselves on the floor.
  • MrLargo said:

"The panel will consist of one ex-match official, one ex-manager and one ex-player & Tom Daly."

Curbs 16/1

;)
  • Good news. Cant wait to see all those foreign players suspended, next season. It will prove that only foreign players dive.
  • Shame it is not worldwide otherwise Louis Suarez will have to find a different occupation.
  • MrLargo said:

Totally agree with this, although it may have an impact on English teams in Europe, not to mention the national team. Rio Ferdinand pointed out a few years ago that cracking down on diving in the Premier League would make life difficult in Europe when they're coming up against players who aren't punished for chucking themselves on the floor.

A good point but it will improve the game. I am all for going down if you feel a touch (I think that is helping the ref rather than cheating) or if a player is recklessly lunging at you, I think it is ok to let them rather than avoid them if safe to do so - but these players going over with no contact are an embaressment.
  • Ashley Young will be announcing his retirement after the europa league final then
  • Sponsored links:

• What will Tom Daly do?
  • edited May 2017
    Cue Ashley Young's retirement.
  • Ashley Young will be announcing his retirement after the europa league final then

Just posted the exact same thing without reading yours. Great minds and all that.
  • MrLargo said:

Totally agree with this, although it may have an impact on English teams in Europe, not to mention the national team. Rio Ferdinand pointed out a few years ago that cracking down on diving in the Premier League would make life difficult in Europe when they're coming up against players who aren't punished for chucking themselves on the floor.

That's alright. Chelsea would just have to run two squads: the diving squad and the non-diving squad.
  • Noted on the BBC site Allardyce was saying this ban is "utter rubbish." And they've turned down an offer for Zaha.
  • Good news.
    Slightly off topic, a mate of mine managed/owned a Gravesend football club, Under 11's to Under 18's I think, and had and had done so for about 15 years, he was getting disillusioned with the game and the final straw was after training, some of the kids were practicing their diving, they were going one on one with a defender, and the other players were 'judging' on wether it was a good dive, i.e. would it fool the ref.
    He challenged the players and the general consensus was that 'the pros do it, so should we'.
    He gave it all up shortly after that.
  • MrLargo said:

At least English teams will have a ready made excuse for failing in the Champuons League next season !
  • Always a good move.

However it only punishes that team/player for the subsequent 2 games, and the free kick/penalty that was scored as a result of that dive and therefore the 1 or 3 points gained/lost for each team still stand.
  • Why only if it results in a penalty or sending off. If the FA want it to stop, which they should, it should be for any diving. However they will need to make very clear what is a dive.
  • did anyone else read this thread title as 'Driving' bans next season?
  • Sponsored links:

• 92% of those who voted on the BBC site are pro bans
  • sky did a 'tribute' to (old) White Hart Lane .. Klinsmann featured of course .. out of order but you had to laugh, he made an art of it and of course for a while it was part of his goal celebrations
  • MrLargo said:

He may have a point, but quite frankly who cares? Play acting is getting worse and is one of the most irksome things about the modern game. It's also damaging the reputation of the game.

Personally, I couldn't give a toss if an English side never wins a European tournament ever again if it means the domestic game we all follow week in week out is a better spectacle.
  • Ross said:

Always a good move.

However it only punishes that team/player for the subsequent 2 games, and the free kick/penalty that was scored as a result of that dive and therefore the 1 or 3 points gained/lost for each team still stand.

There was a thread on here the other day about sin-bins potentially being introduced. Diving would seem a perfect offence for punishment by sin-bin.

In Ice Hockey you can also get 2 minutes in the penalty box for what they term embellishment, i.e. you were fouled or there was genuine contact but you made too much of a fuss about it and it was seen as an attempt to secure a penalty or get a more severe punishment for the offender. I'd love to see a rule like that introduced in football.
  • Luton player dived tonight, got a pen & scored.
  • Seriously this is a good thing, but will become a fad unless every other governing body follows suit.

• Tonight's match showed Varney trying to win a pen. He failed. The commentators on the slo-mo explained how he'd stuck his leg across the defender and how successful this technique had been last season compared to this. The consensus seemed to be that the refs had sussed him.
    But, there's no doubt the contact did cause him to go to ground. Would that count as a dive do you think? I suspect not.
  • cafcfan said:

Tonight's match showed Varney trying to win a pen. He failed. The commentators on the slo-mo explained how he'd stuck his leg across the defender and how successful this technique had been last season compared to this. The consensus seemed to be that the refs had sussed him.
    But, there's no doubt the contact did cause him to go to ground. Would that count as a dive do you think? I suspect not.

That is where the charge of embellishment that I mention above would come in.