Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Three Girls

Is anybody else watching this?

This is a drama but based on actual events. I cannot believe the conspiracy of silence , apathy and indifference that surrounded these events.

Sara Rowbotham should be made a Dame if that is the female equivalent of knighthood.

Thank God for one person in the Public Sector with a sufficient sense of vocation to protect the people she is supposed to protect rather than a broken bureaucracy.

Comments

• Yes Len, saw the first one and halfway though the second, its frightening and gripping stuff.
    The fellas knew what they were doing, the 13-15 year old girls had no idea they were being groomed, then couldn't get out.
    Its real stuff and based in Rochdale for this who dont know.
    Well worth a catch up.
  • I watched this and found it harrowing stuff. As you say, Len, it's a true story. The police come over pretty badly. Not just because of their conspiracy, apathy and indifference but also their tactless way much of the renewed investigation was handled. There appeared to no thought about the girls or their families.
  • I watched this and found it harrowing stuff. As you say, Len, it's a true story. The police come over pretty badly. Not just because of their conspiracy, apathy and indifference but also their tactless way much of the renewed investigation was handled. There appeared to no thought about the girls or their families.

That's what I meant by indifference.

• Not the thread I hoped for.

However I will have to sit down and watch this based on the OP.
  • Yes been watching this.

First episode was grim.

Can't believe this was openly going on.

Have to question the behaviour of the parents too .
  • In my previous life before goat farming, the grooming issue up north was brought to our attention because one political party took it on as an issue on behalf of some of the parents.
    They were completely ignored by everyone as they were just labelled racist.
    This literally went on for years.
    Disgusting by all those whose duty it was to protect the girls.
  • Yes, watched it so far, and found it very disturbing. Maxine Peake, as usual is playing a great role.
  • brilliantly crafted drama about very disturbing true events which has a greater tv impact by running it on 3 consecutive evenings - well done bbc
  • Excellent drama - very harrowing. If you are poor, white and working class you get treated very badly.
    The sexual health worker who battled for justice is an amazing character.
  • Gripping drama & all the cast should be up for a BAFTA. As said before, Maxine Peake's character should get some sort of recognition - just loved the way she ripped into both the police & the social worker.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited May 2017
    Police were too frightened to get heavy handed with the Asian community at the height of Blairs multicultural vision.
  • what if their country of birth was England ?
  • Police were too frightened to get heavy handed with the Asian community at the height of Blairs multinational vision.

I think sometimes the police are just lazy and won't conduct a proper investigation when the victims are from certain social backgrounds. This isn't just about colour it's also about social class.

Look at cover ups throughout history.....
  • edited May 2017

Police were too frightened to get heavy handed with the Asian community at the height of Blairs multinational vision.

I think sometimes the police are just lazy and won't conduct a proper investigation when the victims are from certain social backgrounds. This isn't just about colour it's also about social class.

Look at cover ups throughout history.....
    True. But I also imagine the red tape of getting these particular perpetrators to trial would have been extremely long.
  • It has been a very uncomfortable watch but definitely a must watch. Awful story. I cant believe it happened here.

As lancs said, running it three consecutive nights was a very good idea.
  • have sky+ this....will watch it now
  • Yes, watched it so far, and found it very disturbing. Maxine Peake, as usual is playing a great role.

100% this. I have genuinely felt both uncomfortable and shocked by what I have been watching. Great TV.

Brilliant acting also by Lesley Sharp, Paul Kaye and Lisa Riley.
  • on topic of crime drama adaptation i also thought little boy blue was brilliant.
  • Sponsored links:

• name sentance birthplace;

sabir ahmed - 19 years pakistan
    adil khan - 8 years pakistan
    kabeer hassan - 9 years 3 years on licence pakistan
    abdul aziz - 9 years pakistan
    abdul rauf - 6 years pakistan
    mohammed sajid - 12 years pakistan
    mohammed amid - 5 years pakistan
    hamid safi - 4 years afghanistan (here illegally - deported at end of his sentance )
    abdul qayumm - 5 years pakistan

when you consider majority of those sentances will be halved, not really much of a punishment in my opinion.

we should be able to deport all of them at the end of there sentences even if here legally

sabir ahmed - portrayed as "daddy" in the program they are trying to deport.

hamid safi - 4 years afghanistan (here illegally - deported at end of his sentance )

when you consider majority of those sentances will be halved, not really much of a punishment in my opinion.

Not really clear why where they are born is such an issue - as far as I'm aware every culture has its share of paedophile s and groomers. The issue here is about failure to protect vulnerable children which has clearly being going on for decades.

There are those who've tried to make political capital out of it whereas the fault lies with society as a whole. Jimmy Saville the ultimate nonce seemed untouchable...
  • What channel is it on?

Not really clear why where they are born is such an issue - as far as I'm aware every culture has its share of paedophile s and groomers. The issue here is about failure to protect vulnerable children which has clearly being going on for decades.

There are those who've tried to make political capital out of it whereas the fault lies with society as a whole. Jimmy Saville the ultimate nonce seemed untouchable...
    was in reply to someone who asked what about if there birthplace was england, wasnt making any point just stating facts, the nonces are the people to be blamed and social/police forces should of acted when 1st told.

was in reply to someone who asked what about if there birthplace was england, wasnt making any point just stating facts, the nonces are the people to be blamed and social/police forces should of acted when 1st told.
    Okay - sorry if I took it the wrong way.
  • Those saying the police should of have acted straightaway, that would be a potential racial minefield had the intel been incorrect. They have to take time to investigate, I do however agree they acted too late as they unfortunately often do.

The police however are not at fault for these animals actions, far from it these animals are the ones at fault. They are filth and should be punished immediately, a bit of time in a box isn't the way. Instead the Bolton way would be my choice...

The Police do have a very tough job and it is extremely difficult I am sure, to get it right every time, they needed to make sure they had enough evidence to increase the chances of prosecution.
  • edited May 2017

Daggs said:

name sentance birthplace;

Crap. The fault lies with the Muslim community for carrying out these vile acts.
    And the police and politicians for desperately hushing it up to avoid racial tension in their imaginary multi-culti paradise.
    You prove my point - if you want to make political capital out of it that's fine. Fortunately we don't have any paedophiles or cover ups in the Church of England, Catholic Church, Parliament etc etc. It's all down to the Muslims, foreigners etc.

The particular case in which the drama is about the asian community of rotherham are at fault, there is wide cases of peadophilia in the catholic church aswell, but this isnt what the drama and case is about.

you may not mean in it that way but you seem to be taking offence on behalf of people. i believe this is a culural issue, as the religion of which most of the perpetrators are have a very different view on womens rights etc. if in any doubt check out womens rights in pakistan etc .