Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Any Charlton Life Dinosaur Enthusiasts?

Then you might be interested in this amazingly preserved Nodosaur fossil found in an oil sands mine in Alberta:

Short article with video:

http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2017/05/15/nodosaur-alberta_n_16627308.html

Longer article with cool photos:

http://www.nationalgeographic.com/photography/proof/2017/05/nodosaur-fossil-discovery-science-photography/

Comments

• Love a good diplodocus me!
  • I'm short sighted myself so can really associate with the Doyouthinkhesarus
  • I studied Geology with Palaeontology at college. Was going to university to be a palaeontologist, but circumstances changed and I needed to go out and get a job instead. Have been fascinated with palaeontology ever since I was about five
  • My nephew aged 5 knows the name of virtually every dinosaur found.

Fair play to him, sorry personally not interested.
  • I've been mad keen on palaeontology since going to the Science Museum as a wee nipper.
  • Then you might be interested in this amazingly preserved Nodosaur fossil found in an oil sands mine in Alberta:

Short article with video:

http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2017/05/15/nodosaur-alberta_n_16627308.html

Longer article with cool photos:

http://www.nationalgeographic.com/photography/proof/2017/05/nodosaur-fossil-discovery-science-photography/

That's quite remarkable.
  • Thank you; very interesting & brought back memories of visiting the dinosaur museum in Drumheller, Alberta, in the 1970s.
  • Get in touch with Blackpool72, he relates to them.
  • edited May 2017
    N01R4M said:

Thank you; very interesting & brought back memories of visiting the dinosaur museum in Drumheller, Alberta, in the 1970s.

The Royal Tyrell Museum. That is where this particular fossil now resides. It's an excellent museum and the badlands area around Drumheller is really cool too, even if the town itself is a bit naff.

I studied Geology with Palaeontology at college. Was going to university to be a palaeontologist, but circumstances changed and I needed to go out and get a job instead. Have been fascinated with palaeontology ever since I was about five

I was obsessed with Dinosaurs when I was a kid, but the Palaeontology classes I took during my geology degree were such a let down. Mostly they consisted of looking up pictures of trilobites in books trying to identify which one of the thousands of species the fossil I had in my hand belonged to, based on how long its legs were or how pointy its head was or some other equally dull feature. Apart from the big skull on display in the Earth Sciences Department's Lapworth Museum , I didn't see a single dinosaur fossil at Uni.
  • I took a long time to lose my fascination of them. Dinosaurs and stars fascinated me as a kid.

I was a hopeless idle sod at school so would never have had the application to study either and kudos to all that do.

• Sponsored links:

• interesting prog on the beeb this week .. how the dinosaurs were (probably/almost certainly) wiped out by a meteorite collision with earth and the consequent upheaval to the climate .. it was VERY interesting
  • Dinosaurs are cool.
    However, some are better than others.
    My least favourite is one called the duchateletatops. This ancient fossil is rumoured to have lived in an area which is now known as the Flemish region of Belgium. It is said it became extinct primarily because it had a brain the size of a peanut and could not make rational decisions.
  • Dinosaurs never existed. How could they if the earth is only 6000 years old?

*wibble*
  • interesting prog on the beeb this week .. how the dinosaurs were (probably/almost certainly) wiped out by a meteorite collision with earth and the consequent upheaval to the climate .. it was VERY interesting

Saw most of this and was also very impressed. Struck me that if it wasn't for that meteor humans would not have evolved, not in the same way along the same timeline at least. Small mammals, some reptiles and some fish survived the blast. Since then I've been thinking (in quieter moments) that if there's other life forms in the universe maybe they're more like dinosaurs than humans, or something inconceivable. And all because of that meteor strike. Game of chance isn't it?!
  • we have our own dinosaur on CL...step forward @TCE ;-)
  • I used to collect fossils when I was a kid. My Grandparents lived in Somerset and we used to go to Charmouth near Lyme Regis where you could find loads of them on the beach by the shoreline as the waves uncovered them. There was also a field near where they lived that when the farmer ploughed, used to uncover dozens of fossils, mainly Ammonites.

There also used to be a place in Knatts Valley, near the Fox and Hounds pub that used to have a chalk face that was good for finding them.
  • I used to collect fossils when I was a kid.

Dont need to know about your Cougar targets on a Friday night!!
  • I used to collect fossils when I was a kid.

Dont need to know about your Cougar targets on a Friday night!!
    He taught Wayne Rooney everything he knows.
  • As DaveM said, I've a collection of the smaller stuff, nothing rare but having something something recognisable from that era is cool, imo.

Saw most of this and was also very impressed. Struck me that if it wasn't for that meteor humans would not have evolved, not in the same way along the same timeline at least. Small mammals, some reptiles and some fish survived the blast. Since then I've been thinking (in quieter moments) that if there's other life forms in the universe maybe they're more like dinosaurs than humans, or something inconceivable. And all because of that meteor strike. Game of chance isn't it?!
    what I found the most interesting about that programme was the fact if the meteor hit a few seconds later or earlier then the dinosaurs would of survived and we probably wouldn't of existed. as it hit shallow water it knocked loads of sulphur into the air that blocked out the sun which caused most food sources for the dinosaurs to die. game of chance is right.
  • Sponsored links:

• But didn't dinosuars or at least the therapods (T-Rex was one) evolve into birds?
  • Used to draw them all the time as a kid.

Never met one though.
  • But didn't dinosuars or at least the therapods (T-Rex was one) evolve into birds?

yeah they did. so dinosaurs still exists. though a few scientists aren't convinced but i think there's enough evidence to suggest they are.

yeah they did. so dinosaurs still exists. though a few scientists aren't convinced but i think there's enough evidence to suggest they are.

Rhino | Giraffe | Crocodile surely all have a bit of Dinosaurs about them...
  • edited May 2017
    Of course they still exist.

Was in Erith only this morning and saw a Velociraptor outside Argos:

• not a dinosaur enthusiast, when i was younger i used to like them. Just makes me think of friends...

• Macronate said:

Of course they still exist.

Was in Erith only this morning and saw a Velociraptor outside Argos:

Did you ask Ms Meire what she was doing in Erith?
  • I'm a bit of a dinosaur meself and yes I am.