Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Should We legalise Cannabis?

The latest plans from the Lib Dems is to legalise cannabis, is this a good idea, or a slippery slope?

Comments

• I used to think yes but it's no now.
  • Good idea in my book, much safer than alcohol, would be good for the economy and no suggestion it would spike a rise in crime (crimes has decreased in Colorado).
  • Yes as others have said and tax the hell out of it too.

I can't stand the stuff but what's even worse is when it gets smoked by people in communal areas meaning others have to suffer the smell right up to there front door. At least legalising it people will then smoke it at home instead.
  • Sponsored links:

• Absolutely not
  • with my (very limited) use of it I would say yes, but I dont really know about any the damage it can cause but I believe that long term use can have serious health issues - but then again so does alcohol & tobacco. If it is legalised then it should be taxed the same as tobacco & the money specifically earmarked for the NHS.

• Cocaine is the main issue in England it seems everybody from all walks of life is doing it, and in my opinion is very harmful
  • 100% yes.

The secret ingredient is crime. Alcohol is problematic but it at least has limits and protection laws. It's controlled.

Obviously what you don't want is people that never used "the gateway drug" previously, before it was sort of off limits, to then to all of a sudden start using it due to the fact that its legal and going over the top with it.

Then getting hooked and going off the rails experimenting with other things. Gaining bad health and ruining lives.

I believe that worst case scenario in most cases, to be unlikely.

Give people the freedom of choice and as said above, tax it.

• Makes sense to decriminalize it and tax it and spend the money that the government will get back on taxes on focusing on why people get hooked on the harder drugs in the first place.
  • Medical marijuana should be legal for certain. I'm still not so sure whether recreational use should though.
  • Of course.
  • No - my 261 bus journey stinks enough as it is.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited May 2017
    McBobbin said:

Legalise it. So long as drug bores never utter another word in my presence.

No, cannabis doesn't cure cancer. No, it's not a conspiracy because drug companies can't patent it (they could if for a new use). Shut up and take your first year politics undergraduate BS with you.

Alllllllllllllllllll of the this.

And if you think you've had it bad, try Los Angeles->Berkeley and now Eugene, OR.
  • edited May 2017
    Yes, easy tax removes criminal element, less dangerous than alcohol, shuts up bores.
  • MrOneLung said:

Surely if they 'tax the fuck' out of it, people will just buy from non authorised sources.

Alcohol is currently certainly in "tax the fuck out of it" category and I would imagine the vast majority of booze is being bought from licensed operations.
    Dave2l said:

100% yes.

The secret ingredient is crime. Alcohol is problematic but it at least has limits and protection laws. It's controlled.

Obviously what you don't want is people that never used "the gateway drug" previously, before it was sort of off limits, to then to all of a sudden start using it due to the fact that its legal and going over the top with it.

Then getting hooked and going off the rails experimenting with other things. Gaining bad health and ruining lives.

I believe that worst case scenario in most cases, to be unlikely.

Give people the freedom of choice and as said above, tax it.

Once legal I think the scenario of it becoming a "gateway" drug is as likely as alcohol being your gateway to heroin addiction now.

I think we should legalise it (maybe the gov't could give local regions the power to legalise it if they choose - Doncaster could become the English Amsterdam!) and then strongly tax it and use all of the money generated to try and minimise the abuse of drugs which truly do destroy families and communities.
  • Where would it be sold if it were to be legalised, serious question.

As a policy, how can a government be on the backs of fag comopanies and spend millions?? putting out anti smoking publicity and yet legalise smoking?

• Absolutely
  • No - my 261 bus journey stinks enough as it is.

i try and avoid the school buses.
  • Yes of course it should.
    In one fell swoop the government would reduce crime and make a ton of dough from taxes and regulation.
    I know so many people who enjoy a social joint, they are all different ages from 25-70 years old, and are from different social groups, just look at the model Holland has used for years.
    BUT it won't be legalised because the people who have no idea what they are talking about will oppose it thinking that if we legalise it we will be going to hell in a hand cart.
    Also,if I may add I dont thing class A drugs should be legal but I do think that more help should be available for the poor buggers that are stuck in the downward spiral of addiction.