Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

What's Ramsgate like these days ?

What's it like these days ? Still fairly run down or hip and on the up ?

Comments

• Early days of the latter I'd say
  • Got a spoons going in on the seafront in one of the old buildings, now I can't stand the spoons chain but at least the historic building is being revamped and put to good use
  • Nice by the harbour.

Not so great away from it.
  • Still wet on one side dry on the other!

I personally like Ramsgate and as said the Spoons will help preserve some very neglected old buildings.
  • harbour bit is nice, got family in broadstairs so do go down that way quite a bit personally i really like broadstairs, but from the bits of ramsgate ive seen its nice enough.
  • shithole

Errrm......not much room for manoeuvre there Brendan.
  • Sponsored links:

• Grew up in Ramsgate and still visit family and friends for me always felt the poor relation in Thanet. Broadstairs & Margate have more publicity and attractions.

A lot of focus is on the harbour and seafront Ramsgate has some lovely restaurants and decent real ale pubs serving Gadds, but the town centre like most seaside towns still run down.

Has potential needs to re-develop the East & West Cliff so people can venture more rather then come to the harbour and leave.
  • Any update on Manston?
  • edited May 2017

Any update on Manston?

Nothing has or is likely to happen to reinstate Manston as an airport. That was obvious from work done more than two years ago but it has suited some people to pretend otherwise and exploit the genuine local feeling for it. The UKIP council was specifically elected in 2015 to re-open the airport. Of course it can't and it has had to admit that. Apart from anything else there is no robust legal basis to CPO the land when the owners have other plans that are more likely to generate sustainable jobs.
  • Stig said:

Got a spoons going in on the seafront in one of the old buildings, now I can't stand the spoons chain but at least the historic building is being revamped and put to good use

I think they do a brilliant job. They always do a good job of their renovations and always take account of the history of the buildings and their surroundings. Not many pub chains can say that.

Yes they do a good job agreed and its not the décor I dislike, I just prefer a local pub.

Any update on Manston?

Nothing has or is likely to happen to reinstate Manston as an airport. That was obvious from work done more than two years ago but it has suited some people to pretend otherwise and exploit the genuine local feeling for it. The UKIP council was specifically elected in 2015 to re-open the airport. Of course it can't and it has had to admit that. Apart from anything else there is no robust legal basis to CPO the land when the owners have other plans that are more likely to generate sustainable jobs.
    Houses then
  • I Wish Ramsgate, all the best for the future. I have returned there over the years as a day tripper, from my times years ago of holidays with my parents and grandparents, the photo album of my deceased mother and father, as well and grandparents has been part of my life, as those two weeks away from Charlton, for some reason at the start of the football season, and I can remember waiting to the result radio result with my father along the small section of beach by the lido, at 4.45 on a Saturday.

Of course my sentimental view of the past has nearly always been a disappointment, along with so many south coast resorts. Exceptions would be Broadstairs, and Brighton, but like Whitstable are a bit pricey, and still remain largely resort towns, Probably my perception.

I love the architecture of Ramsgate, especially up by the Tennis court's.
    I think I will always return to Ramsgate, and probably drag the grandchildren down there later this summer. The Rock shop, Harrison's and the large amusement arcade have long gone, and I doubt if the pubs that my parents used to go to have turned into bars, hopefully not nail bars, betting shops, and pound shops. I still think the harbour is one of the most iconic views of GB, especially at sunset on a warm summers evening.
  • Any update on Manston?

Nothing has or is likely to happen to reinstate Manston as an airport
    . That was obvious from work done more than two years ago but it has suited some people to pretend otherwise and exploit the genuine local feeling for it. The UKIP council was specifically elected in 2015 to re-open the airport. Of course it can't and it has had to admit that. Apart from anything else there is no robust legal basis to CPO the land when the owners have other plans that are more likely to generate sustainable jobs.
    That's good news, as it's the only runway I can land a Cessna in my flight sim :-)

• Stig said:

Got a spoons going in on the seafront in one of the old buildings, now I can't stand the spoons chain but at least the historic building is being revamped and put to good use

I think they do a brilliant job. They always do a good job of their renovations and always take account of the history of the buildings and their surroundings. Not many pub chains can say that.

As evidenced by The Peter Cushing in Whitstable.
  • Macronate said:

Stig said:

Presumably, it's a lot bigger inside, than it appears to be from outside ?
  • Last 2 years we have spent Christmas staying in a cottage in King George VI park - we walked every day to either Ramsgate or Broadstairs - the latter is nicer because it retains its Victorian seaside appeal

Ramsgate (being until recently a proper channel port) isn't quite the same, but I really like it - the architecture is lovely and needs to be saved, as some of it is run down - around the harbour is nice, and there are some good restaurants and bars - the Belgian restaurant on the harbour wall is nice (service can be a bit iffy thou !!!)

The harbour at night looks superb with all the lights on the boats

We have seen the last 2 Star Wars films at the 'back to the 1950's' Granville cinema in Ramsgate - loved it, even the squeaky seats

The key thing for Ramsgate is getting the abandoned Pleasurama site sorted out - it's a real eyesore and has been for years
  • Sponsored links:

• DA9DA9
    edited May 2017
    And the McDonald's in Minster services is currently being returbed, win win :-)

I only know as I delivered cable to it today.

Stayed in the harbour many years ago, quite liked it, far better than margate
  • Last 2 years we have spent Christmas staying in a cottage in King George VI park - we walked every day to either Ramsgate or Broadstairs - the latter is nicer because it retains its Victorian seaside appeal

Ramsgate (being until recently a proper channel port) isn't quite the same, but I really like it - the architecture is lovely and needs to be saved, as some of it is run down - around the harbour is nice, and there are some good restaurants and bars - the Belgian restaurant on the harbour wall is nice (service can be a bit iffy thou !!!)

We have seen the last 2 Star Wars films at the 'back to the 1950's' Granville cinema in Ramsgate - loved it, even the squeaky seats

The key thing for Ramsgate is getting the abandoned Pleasurama site sorted out - it's a real eyesore and has been for years

Incredible saga that. I honestly thought we'd cracked it two years ago, but sadly not.

Incredible saga that. I honestly thought we'd cracked it two years ago, but sadly not.
    Yes indeed - from memory an overseas (BVI ?) registered developer sat on it for years

I work in banking funding construction projects, and the bottom line is that a developer will only take on that site if the land is sold to them at the right price, so they can get the right return

It's a fantastic site for a mixed used scheme of residential and commercial (restaurants etc) fronting onto the beach and sea

Ramsgate really needs it sorted out, because it would transform the seafront

That said, we have had a few developer clients get their fingers burnt in Thanet, so I can understand the difficulty

I will admit that a client of ours looked at taking on the site a while back, we looked at funding it, however we couldn't make it stack as a lend

Yes indeed - from memory an overseas (BVI ?) registered developer sat on it for years

I work in banking funding construction projects, and the bottom line is that a developer will only take on that site if the land is sold to them at the right price, so they can get the right return

It's a fantastic site for a mixed used scheme of residential and commercial (restaurants etc) fronting onto the beach and sea

That said, we have had a few developer clients get their fingers burnt in Thanet, so I can understand the difficulty

I will admit that a client of ours looked at taking on the site a while back, we looked at funding it, however we couldn't make it stack as a lend
    We looked at taking the developer to court to get the land back, but because of things done in the distant past it would have been very complicated with no guarantee of ultimate success. We eventually signed a new agreement with Cardy, who had been the developer's contractor, which wiped the slate clean and gave them a limited period to build it out or sell the site back. I understand, however, that the clock hasn't started ticking on that because the council hasn't yet fulfilled its own obligations under the deal. Meanwhile, Cardy had their own problems. TDC did receive £3m in capital receipts, which we were advised was the only priority we could legally pursue, but the real objective has always been to regenerate the seafront.

As you say, it comes down to the funding in the end and the value is a problem, but the site has been derelict since 1998 and the council hasn't helped itself over the years.
  • Macronate said:

Stig said:

That's the one in the cinema, isn't it? Great pub, though the garden's not much.

How lucky that you mentioned one of the few Spoons I've been too ;-)
  • Macronate said:

Stig said:

It is. They've kept the entrance foyer before you walk through some doors and into a massive room which used to be a cinema and then a bingo hall and which now forms the pub.
    Stig said:

Macronate said:

Stig said:

That's the one in the cinema, isn't it? Great pub, though the garden's not much.

Yes, didn't get to see the garden.

We looked at taking the developer to court to get the land back, but because of things done in the distant past it would have been very complicated with no guarantee of ultimate success. We eventually signed a new agreement with Cardy, who had been the developer's contractor, which wiped the slate clean and gave them a limited period to build it out or sell the site back. I understand, however, that the clock hasn't started ticking on that because the council hasn't yet fulfilled its own obligations under the deal. Meanwhile, Cardy had their own problems. TDC did receive £3m in capital receipts, which we were advised was the only priority we could legally pursue, but the real objective has always been to regenerate the seafront.

As you say, it comes down to the funding in the end and the value is a problem, but the site has been derelict since 1998 and the council hasn't helped itself over the years.
    Appreciate you might not be able to say, however if you are, what are the obligations that TDC need to fulfil to start the clock ?

It really is a perfect storm though - crap developer, contractor goes bust, challenging site and location

For anyone out there who thinks property development isn't difficult - believe you me, it can bite you on the a#se very badly

I have a client who spent 5x more than the land cost him, simply to give newts a new home !!!
  • edited May 2017

Last 2 years we have spent Christmas staying in a cottage in King George VI park - we walked every day to either Ramsgate or Broadstairs - the latter is nicer because it retains its Victorian seaside appeal

Appreciate you might not be able to say, however if you are, what are the obligations that TDC need to fulfil to start the clock ?

It really is a perfect storm though - crap developer, contractor goes bust, challenging site and location

For anyone out there who thinks property development isn't difficult - believe you me, it can bite you on the a#se very badly

I have a client who spent 5x more than the land cost him, simply to give newts a new home !!!
    TDC had to do some work on the cliff, which was delayed internally for administrative reasons to the point where the contractor had to stand down the team due to start work on the site in 2015. This has been done but I'm told a KCC issue with the roundabout adjacent to the site is unresolved.
  • Macronate said:

Macronate said:

Stig said:

It is. They've kept the entrance foyer before you walk through some doors and into a massive room which used to be a cinema and then a bingo hall and which now forms the pub.
    Stig said:

Macronate said:

Stig said:

Yes, didn't get to see the garden.
    It would appear that no one got the Dr Who Tardis joke. I'm wasted on here.