Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Interning in England, any helpful advice?

Evening everyone. As my junior year of college fast approaches, I have begun to hunt for different options for internships as it is a requirement for me to do one before I graduate. As many of you know, I'd like to travel outside of the states for awhile and see what there is to offer elsewhere in the world. Britain right now is at the top of the list. My major is Recreation Management with an Emphasis in Tourism and since Tourism is Britain's 5th largest industry (Or so I read), I figure it might not be a bad place to look for an internship. I'm very familiar with looking for jobs or internships here in the states, but I'm not sure how different it would be in England. I still have some time before I actually do my internship but I like starting early. Can anyone give me some tips or things to know about finding an internship in England or if there are any good websites I should check out? Any help is much appreciated.

Comments

• If you're looking for an internship in a UK-based business in the travel industry, you could do a lot worse than spend a few minutes looking at this site

https://www.travelport.com/career-center-uk-internships
  • I did a year long student placement in finance/data analysis a couple years ago. When I was looking I used rate my placement a lot.

https://www.ratemyplacement.co.uk/search?show=jobs

The length of placement varies from a couple months to a year. There is loads of jobs on there. Pretty much all of them are paid. You can read what other people say about the place too.

General advice I'd give is you want to find the balance between a large company and a small company. Sounds weird but a large company will have a lot more support set up for students and will be used to having them and will have processes in place to deal with it all. But there is and risk of you being treated a bit too much like 'just an intern' and just making coffees, taking minutes or writing up other people's work.

A smaller company will need to use you (especially if they're paying you) So you'll be straight into the proper work from day one but they may not have systems and processes for dealing with students.

I got lucky, my placement was in a large organisation but in a small team within that, we were desperately overworked and understaffed so I had responsibility immediately.

Definitely make sure it's somewhere that has taken students before. Read the reviews on the site above or go to https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk and see if anyone has written about their experiences there.

Basically you want more than just a name on your CV. You need specific skills and experiences to talk about and you don't want to be bored to death the whole time.

Good luck!
  • This was all very helpful. Cheers everyone!
  • Rossman92 said:

Evening everyone. As my junior year of college fast approaches, I have begun to hunt for different options for internships as it is a requirement for me to do one before I graduate. As many of you know, I'd like to travel outside of the states for awhile and see what there is to offer elsewhere in the world. Britain right now is at the top of the list. My major is Recreation Management with an Emphasis in Tourism and since Tourism is Britain's 5th largest industry (Or so I read), I figure it might not be a bad place to look for an internship. I'm very familiar with looking for jobs or internships here in the states, but I'm not sure how different it would be in England. I still have some time before I actually do my internship but I like starting early. Can anyone give me some tips or things to know about finding an internship in England or if there are any good websites I should check out? Any help is much appreciated.

There's a General Election coming up in 3 weeks time and although it's probably a foregone conclusion as to which party will win the Ministerial Posts will still get a shuffle. Watch out to see who gets Tourism and get a request to them in quick. Somebody on the team who isn't going to impact their budget and who is from the States and has a Major in Tourism might be handy for them to have pre 'Post Brexit' as we seek to bring in tourist Dollars
  • Rossman92 said:

There's a General Election coming up in 3 weeks time and although it's probably a foregone conclusion as to which party will win the Ministerial Posts will still get a shuffle. Watch out to see who gets Tourism and get a request to them in quick. Somebody on the team who isn't going to impact their budget and who is from the States and has a Major in Tourism might be handy for them to have pre 'Post Brexit' as we seek to bring in tourist Dollars
    That's brilliant!