Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Worst decade for pop music.

Has to be the eighties - nothing else comes close. Most of the music I bought during that decade has aged terribly - a decade of terrible haircuts, awful fashion and some very tinny music with terrible lyrics.

Worst memories:
Thompson Twins
Toyah Willcox
Bros
Kajagoogoo

Comments

• the next one
  • edited May 2017
    I liked The Thompson Twins at the time. I saw them a few times, but agree that their music didn't stand the test of time.
    Tom Bailey, Allanah Currie, Joe Leeway or something like that, without googling.

I've got the album, featuring We are Detective & Love On Your Side. probably not played it for 30 years.

Toyah, Bros & Kajagoogoo were always sh##e.
  • Pedro45 said:

1910's

Gustav Holst's ghost would like a word
  • pilchard said:

The 2000's have not particularly set the world on fire either.

Yeah, 2000 to 2010 was a pretty shitty time. I was at Uni from 2001 to 2004 so that should be one of the 'golden periods' in my music collection, but I bought hardly any records during that time and ended up mostly listening to 90s stuff.

The 80s was when terrible pop music really started to get a hold in the charts, but there was still plenty of good stuff around that. I the 00s there seemed to be terrible pop music and lot of really generic and mediocre other stuff.
  • pilchard said:

The 2000's have not particularly set the world on fire either.

Yeah, 2000 to 2010 was a pretty shitty time. I was at Uni from 2001 to 2004 so that should be one of the 'golden periods' in my music collection, but I bought hardly any records during that time and ended up mostly listening to 90s stuff.

The 80s was when terrible pop music really started to get a hold in the charts, but there was still plenty of good stuff around that. I the 00s there seemed to be terrible pop music and lot of really generic and mediocre other stuff.
    2003-2006 were my Uni days, agree it wasn't great but there were some good ones in that decade;
    - Libertines
    - Hard-Fi
    - Kaiser Chiefs (thought they were good at the time, they could sound pretty dated now though)
    - Arctic Monkeys
    - I think By the Way by RHCP may have come out in 2000's as well which is a great record
  • 2000's and 2010's have passed me by.
    70's are the best for me
  • Sponsored links:

• This is a silly thread full of fogeys, but I'll hesitantly concur with the notion that 2010-now >>>>>> 2000-2009
  • 90s music for me.

If we're ignoring Rock music and just focussing on a list like:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_best-selling_singles_of_the_1990s_in_the_United_Kingdom
  • Whichever decade you were 17 in will be the best and which ever you were 27 in the worse.

The next best will be the one you were 7 in.

By the time you are 37 you have stopped listening to new pop music and just listen to the music you like when you were 17

I still listen to a lot of new music and it's only really 80s stuff that I've never gone back to. I was 17 in the 70s which remains my favourite decade followed by the 60s but I still think a lot of good stuff has come out since the 90s.

• stonemuse said:

Whichever decade you were 17 in will be the best and which ever you were 27 in the worse.

By the time you are 37 you have stopped listening to new pop music and just listen to the music you like when you were 17

Agree with your first point, decade you were 17 would be the best.

Disagree with your final point, I am way beyond 37 and have never stopped listening to new music.
    same here. The only music i can't listen to is reggae.
  • stonemuse said:

Whichever decade you were 17 in will be the best and which ever you were 27 in the worse.

Disagree with your final point, I am way beyond 37 and have never stopped listening to new music.
    New music or new POP music?
  • Whichever decade you were 17 in will be the best and which ever you were 27 in the worse.

I still listen to a lot of new music and it's only really 80s stuff that I've never gone back to. I was 17 in the 70s which remains my favourite decade followed by the 60s but I still think a lot of good stuff has come out since the 90s.

See above

stonemuse said:

Listen to more reggae now than ever. Mainly 70s roots and culture though
  • edited May 2017
    stonemuse said:

Me too. Rock and Indie.
  • stonemuse said:

There's a lot of good music about now - pop charts are no longer so relevant. Technology opens things up...

See above

stonemuse said:

did you buy Tighten up vol. 2 for the cover or the music?
    Honest answer please.
  • Sponsored links:

See above

stonemuse said:

did you buy Tighten up vol. 2 for the cover or the music?
    Honest answer please.
    honestly i never bought it but I did admire the cover's art work ; - ) Better than those Yes covers people raved about!
  • I'm not sure decades really works. It seem that music goes in 5 year cycles. Early 60's is not the same as late 60's, etc.

You sure?

California Gurls - Katy Perry featuring Snoop Dogg was number 1 on my 17th birthday :scream::cry:
  • stonemuse said:

There's a lot of good music about now - pop charts are no longer so relevant. Technology opens things up...
    Good music sure but I would say,and of course it was a sweeping and humorous generalisation, that it's not pop music but new stuff in the genre's you already liked.
  • The 60's for me, just a shame the Beatles stole all the attention
  • edited May 2017
    I can listen to certain songs from most genres apart from glam rock.
    For that reason the 1970s gets my vote.
  • stonemuse said:

Good music sure but I would say,and of course it was a sweeping and humorous generalisation, that it's not pop music but new stuff in the genre's you already liked.
    Not really true - grew up listening to punk,reggae and R&B but have gone on to listen to a lot of electronic stuff, rap and grime. Blues is probably my favourite but that I think is down to getting older as it now makes more sense.

The 70s was an amazing time to watch music as there were so many cheap venues to watch live bands. Used to regularly go to two or three gigs a week.

• stonemuse said:

All music ... except jazz.
  • A good BBC article on modern music, and why hit songs require so many writers now

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-39934986

It slightly explains to me why a lot of current chart music lacks a bit of "soul", it's all too precisely honed.

I don't know if the music this century is worse than before, but it does seem less original, I can't think of anything particularly novel to emerge this century
  • stonemuse said:

stonemuse said:

All music ... except jazz.
    Music then ; - )