Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Least Favourite Quote

edited May 2017 in Not Sports Related
Prompted by the 'Favourite Quote' thread and the appearance of one of my bête noires this morning.

Be careful what you wish for. What sort of nonsense is this? It implies that if you wish for something to happen, something else might happen that you hadn't wished for and you'll live to regret it. But it falls down at every step because of it's complete lack of logic. Firstly, things don't just happen because we wish for them. Less still do the imagined fears of a third party become real because someone has wished for something. It is drivel. But worse than that, it is disempowering drivel; it stops people from having a dream. 'Just accept your lot', is what it says. Don't work for anything better, don't argue for anything better, don't even hope for anything better. If you do, the magic wish fairy will immediately appear and turn all your dreams to shitty shit. Well, stuff that. I will wish for things, and I'll argue for things and I'll work towards making my wishes become a reality. I'm not letting the frightened and the accepting scope the nature of my dreamworld with this crushing pathetic phrase.

May you live in interesting times and its derivatives: When I first heard this I thought it was clever and amusing, but it has become so overused as to be really annoying.

Keep Calm and Carry On: The ultimate overused quote. Thankfully things seemed to have calmed down with it recently.

Comments

• Cheap at half the price......of course it fucking is (assuming the price had not recently been doubled). This phrase never works in the context in which it is always used.
  • If you don't get yours I won't get mine as well - Noel Gallagher.
  • Stig said:

Prompted by the 'Favourite Quote' thread and the appearance of one of my bête noires this morning.

Be careful what you wish for. What sort of nonsense is this? It implies that if you wish for something to happen, something else might happen that you hadn't wished for and you'll live to regret it. But it falls down at every step because of it's complete lack of logic. Firstly, things don't just happen because we wish for them. Less still do the imagined fears of a third party become real because someone has wished for something. It is drivel. But worse than that, it is disempowering drivel; it stops people from having a dream. 'Just accept your lot', is what it says. Don't work for anything better, don't argue for anything better, don't even hope for anything better. If you do, the magic wish fairy will immediately appear and turn all your dreams to shitty shit. Well, stuff that. I will wish for things, and I'll argue for things and I'll work towards making my wishes become a reality. I'm not letting the frightened and the accepting scope the nature of my dreamworld with this crushing pathetic phrase.

May you live in interesting times and its derivatives: When I first heard this I thought it was clever and amusing, but it has become so overused as to be really annoying.

Keep Calm and Carry On: The ultimate overused quote. Thankfully things seemed to have calmed down with it recently.

Chillax.
  • Every time, we have improved our ranking.

Copyright - Daisy
  • "For the many not the few" is already beginning to grate. (Maybe expect a Tory ad campaign with the word "unemployment" popped in at the front and a picture of a huge queue at the job centre? Oh, no hang on....)
  • Cheap at half the price......of course it fucking is (assuming the price had not recently been doubled). This phrase never works in the context in which it is always used.

Cheap didn't originally mean bargain though. (I expect you know this really). It comes from Middle English and means goods. Hence Cheapside in the City of London - it was a market place. So, originally it just meant 50% off. I think it's nice that it survives albeit in a somewhat mangled way.
  • Macronate said:

Stig said:

Chillax.
    Oh, don't get me started on portmanteau words.
  • Sponsored links:

• "pick up the soap"
  • cafcfan said:

"For the many not the few" is already beginning to grate. (Maybe expect a Tory ad campaign with the word "unemployment" popped in at the front and a picture of a huge queue at the job centre? Oh, no hang on....)

Corbyn might rejig it to 'for the many not the Jew' given the track record of certain prominent and not so prominent Labour Party members.
  • To be honest and It is what it is I particularly hate. I have even caught myself saying to be honest and cringe.
  • Stig said:

Macronate said:

Stig said:

Chillax.
    Oh, don't get me started on pords.
    Fixed it for you
  • I have explained several times that we offered Yann Kermorgant a contract and he refused it.

Katrien Meire
  • Power corrupts. Absolute power corrupts absolutely.
  • "Keep on keeping on"
  • "You could be hit by a bus tomorrow" as an excuse to act like a fanny with no regard for the consequences. Fingers crossed eh.
  • Sponsored links:

• "We're all gods children"

No we're not. Grow up and stop being a child.
  • edited May 2017
    "Millwall = x Charlton = <x"

James Alexander Gordon, what seemed like twice a year until his death.
  • edited May 2017
    "I'm entitled to an opinion"

Not necessarily, it might just be less expensive.
  • 'Been there, done that. Got the t-shirt'

Shut up.
  • Don't worry darling, it's what happens when you get to your age!!
  • "I'm entitled to an opinion"

I think that's alright, as long as everyone else has the right to counter and ridicule groundless opinions.
  • If I had £1 for every time I'd heard that............

You'd have about thirty fecking quid, not a million.