Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Favourite Quote

There are lots of great quotes to choose from but this is and has always been my favourite :

The Moving Finger writes; and, having writ,
Moves on: nor all thy Piety nor Wit
Shall lure it back to cancel half a Line,
Nor all thy Tears wash out a Word of it.

From the translation by Edward Fitzgerald from the poem : The Rubaiyat of Omar Khayyam 1859

I'm looking forward to reading your favourites.

Comments

• "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got".

Do we know anyone that could learn from that, Roly?
  • Frank Zappa:

Most rock journalism is people who can't write, interviewing people who can't talk, for people who can't read.
  • edited May 2017
    'A Premiership club's going to win it why shouldn't it be us?'

LC Curbishley 1999, 2001-2006 (inc)

Good times back then....
  • Knowledge is knowing that the tomato is a fruit,
    Wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.

(don't know who said that!!)

It matters not how strait the gate,
    How charged with punishments the scroll,
    I am the master of my fate,
    I am the captain of my soul.

Invictus - William Ernest Henley

"... any man's death diminishes me, because I am involved in mankind, and therefore never send to know for whom the bells tolls; it tolls for thee."

John Donne

and simply hundreds of Shakespeare quotes.
  • I heard a brilliant quote on the radio yesterday. It's from a Robert Kennedy speech in 1968 and seems to me to be the sort of thing that we should pay far more attention to, both in the political sphere and in our personal lives:

And this is one of the great tasks of leadership for us, as individuals and citizens this year. But even if we act to erase material poverty, there is another greater task, it is to confront the poverty of satisfaction - purpose and dignity - that afflicts us all. Too much and for too long, we seemed to have surrendered personal excellence and community values in the mere accumulation of material things. Our Gross National Product, now, is over $800 billion dollars a year, but that Gross National Product - if we judge the United States of America by that - that Gross National Product counts air pollution and cigarette advertising, and ambulances to clear our highways of carnage. It counts special locks for our doors and the jails for the people who break them. It counts the destruction of the redwood and the loss of our natural wonder in chaotic sprawl. It counts napalm and counts nuclear warheads and armored cars for the police to fight the riots in our cities. It counts Whitman's rifle and Speck's knife, and the television programs which glorify violence in order to sell toys to our children. Yet the gross national product does not allow for the health of our children, the quality of their education or the joy of their play. It does not include the beauty of our poetry or the strength of our marriages, the intelligence of our public debate or the integrity of our public officials. It measures neither our wit nor our courage, neither our wisdom nor our learning, neither our compassion nor our devotion to our country, it measures everything in short, except that which makes life worthwhile. And it can tell us everything about America except why we are proud that we are Americans.
  • I actually heard this from a mate concerning one of our err .. little trips to the continent.

' No battle plan survives first contact with the enemy '

No idea who is the author but found it so true.
  • edited May 2017

I actually heard this from a mate concerning one of our err .. little trips to the continent.

Clausvitzt (sp) I believe EDIT No it was Moltke
  • A bumpy ride - Henry Irving
  • Sponsored links:

• Those that mind don't matter and those that matter don't mind.
  • One that is very apt for what sometimes goes on on here:

"Never argue with a fool, onlookers may not be able to tell the difference" - Mark Twain
  • 'Never stand up in a hammock'
  • 'Let's not turn Charlton into a team that must go everywhere and must win and must be better than the home side' - Karel Fraeye

A man who lived up to his words !
  • If something in life is hard to do, get some other muppet to do it for you
  • "The headbutt is mightier than the pen".....one of my mates after coming out of the Paras.
  • se9addick said:

'Let's not turn Charlton into a team that must go everywhere and must win and must be better than the home side' - Karel Fraeye

A man who lived up to his words !
    He certainly didn't turn Charlton into that side!
  • "you never know, until you tread in it".
    Someone, sometime, somewhere.
  • Sponsored links:

• I'll always remember the first time I had sex......I kept the receipt

Groucho Marx
  • I actually heard this from a mate concerning one of our err .. little trips to the continent.

Moltke

• Being born in a stable does not make one a horse.
  • We always have been, we are, and I hope that we always shall be detested in France
  • R.E.M. bassist Mike Mills on the band continuing after the departure of drummer Bill Berry:

"A three-legged dog is still a dog, it just learns to walk a little differently."

I find it applies to a lot in life.
  • 25May98 said:

Those that mind don't matter and those that matter don't mind.

Or to quote the late, great tommy Cooper - "it's mind over matter. If you don't mind, it doesn't matter."
  • Why do something today when you can put it off until tomorrow?
  • Karl Pilkington — '[Jellyfish] are 97% water or something, so how much are they doing? Just give them another 3% and make them water.
  • I liked Pilkinton's quote - I'd rather live in a cave with a view of a palace than a palace with a view of a cave! Something like that anyway!