Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Checkatrade Trophy

Can I please ask someone to clarify for me what trophies/competitions exist this season? I will hold my hands up and admit i'm confused by the name changes, what used to be this and what is now that? EFL, Capital One, FA, Johnstons, Checkatrade etc....? Any guidance would be appreciated. thanks.

Comments

• Rear Of The Year
  • Pipe smoker of the year (unfortunately my wife's not in the running)
  • DA9DA9
    edited August 2016
    Checkatrade trophy replaces Johnstones paint trophy, was the EFL trophy until yesterday/today, that's the new format 4 team mini league competion where we play saints U21 and Crawley at home, Colchester away, the EFL Cup replaces the capital one cup, Cheltenham away tonight

Please someone correct me if wrong
  • so we have;

fa cup - which we go out to huddersfield to
    league cup - which we exit tonight
    jonstones paint/efl trohpy
    kent cup
  • Think we've got Phoenix in the Kent Cup.
  • DA9 said:

Checkatrade trophy replaces Johnstones paint trophy, was the EFL trophy until yesterday/today, that's the new format 4 team mini league competion where we play saints U21 and Crawley at home, Colchester away, the EFL Cup replaces the capital one cup, Cheltenham away tonight

Please someone correct me if wrong

Thank you - much appreciated.

Shit, we're in trouble there. They're on fire...

...I'll get me coat...
  • Sponsored links:

• Checkatrade?

Right sort of name for a competition like that. They might as well call it "Patel's Corner Shop Trophy".

They've had some good nights.
  • Hope we use it as an u21 competition ourselves.

http://www.efl.com/news/article/2016/checkatrade-trophy-backed-by-league-one-and-league-two-clubs-3713966.aspx

Key format changes include:

- EFL team selection criteria amended to allow increased flexibility for League One and League Two clubs
    - An increase in the total competition fund to £3million
    - Each group will continue to contain one invited Under-21 team with the remainder made up of EFL clubs from either League One or League Two. Groups will be formed to minimise overall travel time for EFL clubs and fans
    - Invited Under-21 teams will play their Group games away from home
    - Regionalisation until the Quarter-Final stage (improved from Round Two in 2016/17) to minimise overall travel time for clubs and fans
    - Flexibility of fixture dates to allow teams to schedule games outside of international weeks
    - As part of the proposals, the selection criteria for invited Under-21 teams will remain as ‘six players from the starting 11 must be under the age of 21 as at 30 June 2017.’
  • Scoham said:

Hope we use it as an u21 competition ourselves.

http://www.efl.com/news/article/2016/checkatrade-trophy-backed-by-league-one-and-league-two-clubs-3713966.aspx

Key format changes include:

- EFL team selection criteria amended to allow increased flexibility for League One and League Two clubs
    - An increase in the total competition fund to £3million
    - Each group will continue to contain one invited Under-21 team with the remainder made up of EFL clubs from either League One or League Two. Groups will be formed to minimise overall travel time for EFL clubs and fans
    - Invited Under-21 teams will play their Group games away from home
    - Regionalisation until the Quarter-Final stage (improved from Round Two in 2016/17) to minimise overall travel time for clubs and fans
    - Flexibility of fixture dates to allow teams to schedule games outside of international weeks
    - As part of the proposals, the selection criteria for invited Under-21 teams will remain as ‘six players from the starting 11 must be under the age of 21 as at 30 June 2017.’

Hmm... Wonder if this was a "sweetener" from the Premier League to ensure the U21 sides remained!!

Flexibility of the dates though mean the competition will be held all over the place like the County Competitions (Kent Senior Cup etc.), instead should be blocked into certain dates... Only good thing I can see is it'll be regionalised until the Quarter-Finals.
  • Says we voted against the change... Does that mean we wanted to keep the competition as it was last season or does it mean we wanted the competition to be changed back to the original format?
  • Not happy that Prem and Champ u23 teams are still going to be in it, but glad that they've listened to clubs and fans about giving more flexibility to squads for changes.
  • Ross said:

Not happy that Prem and Champ u23 teams are still going to be in it, but glad that they've listened to clubs and fans about giving more flexibility to squads for changes.

My greater frustration is not getting the premier U-23--City, Arsenal, Chelsea, etc.

Agreed on lowering the requirement for regular first teamers. It is a silly stipulation, but I get why Premier League clubs want that guarantee so they're not just playing inferior U-23 opponents.

I don't know. For me personally, the more football, the better. But I'm not sure this is super necessary.
  • Sponsored links:

• I haven't changed my view - you can stick it up your arse.

until we reach Wembley!!!
  • I forgot about this tin pot tournament. who won it this year?
  • Think it was Coventry

took 45k to the final
  • well, I guess it gets em out of Coventry for the day
  • edited May 2017

2016-7: Blackburn B team entered the tin pot competition

2017-8 Blackburn's first team will have to play other B teams.

Joke of a tournament. Destroying lower league football.

Come on, it's nowhere near important enough to be "destroying lower league football." Want to know who destroyed Blackburn? Their owners, and a complete lack of oversight of ownership responsibility by the Premier League and FA. I could even make the case that Blackburn, not particularly huge club (though a historic one) have been artificially inflated for years by the expenditure of wealthy owners, then deficit spending.
  • So the competition remains virtually unchanged.
  • Charlton v Millwall U23 next season can't wait oh hold on I'm getting my hair cut that night!