Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Cover to Cover: Lulu v Nirvana - The Man Who Sold The World

Two versions of the same song. Listen without prejudice and say which you prefer and why.

No other versions. Yes, I know the Bromley boy wrote it but that's not the version we're discussing. And no jazz. Not now, not ever.

So which do you prefer? Lulu's 1974 cover produced by Ronson and Bowie (who also played and sang on it) or the Nirvana unplugged version from 1993.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TyFAnA9oPRE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fregObNcHC8&list=RDfregObNcHC8#t=0

Comments

• Nirvana's live version knocks Lulus over produced offering out the park, even with Kurts bum note at the beginning of his solo (Jazz).....
  • Nirvana.
  • Toughie - but Nirvana edges it.
  • Not keen on this song at all but Nirvana at least make it listenable.
  • Nirvana, all day every day
  • No contest, Bowie every time.

Don't like either but if pushed, Cilla
  • Expected to prefer the Cobain version, but I think the Bowie/Ronson produced effort makes the song actually seem better, so I'm going for the Lulu one.
  • Nirvana by a country mile, close the thread and let's move on to the next one
  • Is it only me that thinks the Cobain one is a bit indulgent, which sets it against the over production?
    Goalless draw for me.
  • 3blokes said:

Expected to prefer the Cobain version, but I think the Bowie/Ronson produced effort makes the song actually seem better, so I'm going for the Lulu one.

It sounds just like 1974 Bowie because. apart from the singer, it is.
  • Sponsored links:

• Can't stand Nirvana but their version is better.
  • Lulu for me. Never understood why Nirvana were so rated.

(But I did like the original British Nirvana. Rainbow chaser one of my favourite singles.)
  • I will say Nirvana - but unplugged? Maybe by their normal standards, but he has got bloody distortion on his guitar!
  • iainment said:

Lulu for me. Never understood why Nirvana were so rated.

(But I did like the original British Nirvana. Rainbow chaser one of my favourite singles.)

that's a great tune.
  • Nirvana for me, superb version.
  • edited May 2017
    Ah, a good song. Nirvana, by two country miles. Love it & play it often.

Lulu pooloo.
  • Nirvana which is better than Bowie's as well. YES I WENT THERE.

Not even their best cover of the night, that accolade goes to where did you sleep last night.

What a band and what a time to be alive!

Agree, the whole set is superb - I assume it's the best ever MTV Unplugged.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited May 2017
    Jesus H Christ.....Lulu was considered to be something of an embarrassing joke back in the day......about as musically popular (by those who really know their music) and about as talented as Posh Spice is regarded today.
    Whenever the 60's music scene is mentioned nowadays they roll her out as a big potatoe from that era......take it from me, she was very much a B list celeb back then.
    She's more popular now than she was at the time....irritates the hell outa me I have to say having her continuously represented as a cool chick from the 1960's London mod scene.
    Miss1960's of the London mod and music scene......oh perlease....do leave off!!
  • Jesus H Christ.....Lulu was considered to be something of an embarrassing joke back in the day......about as musically popular (by those who really know their music) and about as talented as Posh Spice is tegarded today.
    Whenever the 60's music scene is mentioned nowadays they roll her out as a big potatoe from that era......take it from me, she was very much a B list celeb back then.
    She's more popular now than she was at the time....irritates the hell outa me I have to say having her continuously represented as a cool chick from the 1960's London mod scene.

I did fancy her though.
  • I sometimes flick through the Unplugged album but rarely listen to this track. I think there's far better tracks on the album, especially Come as you are.

I never understood the Lulu version of this. Why bother? The only reason must have been for the money.

I'm with Seth - a draw
  • As good as the Nirvana unplugged set was, the Pearl Jam one was better.
    Nirvana one strikes a chord due to his suicide a few months later.
  • edited May 2017

Jesus H Christ.....Lulu was considered to be something of an embarrassing joke back in the day......about as musically popular (by those who really know their music) and about as talented as Posh Spice is regarded today.

Ha you & me both, apart from everything else naff about her, despite "losing" her jock accent 40 odd years ago she hams it up whenever she appears on tv with her mockjock accent. very annoying. same as Cilla who was pure Surrey with a plum in her mouth instead of the "loveable" scouser that she portrayed on tv.
  • se9addick said:

Nirvana which is better than Bowie's as well. YES I WENT THERE.

Not even their best cover of the night, that accolade goes to where did you sleep last night.

What a band and what a time to be alive!

Agree, the whole set is superb - I assume it's the best ever MTV Unplugged.
    Not sure, the Pearl Jam one was good with a good cover of keep on rocking in the free world and my favourite grunge band, Alice In Chains.
  • Nirvana by a massive distance, absolutely superb version of a brilliant song.
  • I'm not a particularly big fan of Nirvana (little before my team, over-rated three chords and whining), but their version of this song is very, very, very good.
  • Nirvana.

One of the best covers ever.....
  • edited May 2017

I never understood the Lulu version of this. Why bother? The only reason must have been for the money.

She was after Bowie's tubesteak and got it, the little minx.
    Source: Lulu