Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

The Who

For a band so linked to Charlton I have never seen a thread devoted to them and as an antidote to the football and politics ones I thought I would start one!

Best albums and songs? Ever seen them live, either with Moon and The Ox or in recent years? Despite being one of my favourite bands I have never seen them. Are they going to do another tour?

For me the masterpiece is Who's Next but I've got a lot of time for Quadrophenia as well, and the film is a British classic, despite having Sting in it.

Who else?

Comments

• Plenty of threads over the years on them.

Seen them countless times since 85, too young to have seen them with Moon and have been lucky enough to meet all 4 of them (including Kenney Jones). Last saw them a couple of weeks ago playing Tommy at the RAH and they're still as good as ever.

Favourite album, not just of theirs but of all time is Who's Next, closely followed by Quadrophenia and Tommy.

Very unlikely they'll tour again after the US dates this year but may do the odd one off.
  • I bought meaty beaty big & bouncy as a teenager & thought it was excellent - didn't really know their best work until I heard them on tv whilst watching Live Aid. Reign O' Me & Wont Get Fooled Again just blew me away.

Saw them at Wembley around 2000 with Joe Strummer as support. Daltry's voice has gone now (same as Macca's)& think they should retire gracefully.
  • I bought meaty beaty big & bouncy as a teenager & thought it was excellent - didn't really know their best work until I heard them on tv whilst watching Live Aid. Reign O' Me & Wont Get Fooled Again just blew me away.

Saw them at Wembley around 2000 with Joe Strummer as support. Daltry's voice has gone now (same as Macca's)& think they should retire gracefully.

Ironically, I've seen both in the last 2 years and would disagree somewhat!

• Saw both Valley concerts and again since.

Who's Next is my favourite album.

Favourite track changes but Behind Blue Eyes and Baba O'Reilly are always up there.

One of the greatest bands ever.
  • I saw them on the very last night of the lewisham ocean, 1980/1 ish I think.
    Kenny Jones on drums by then but that's no criticism the four were brilliant and incredibly loud.
    I was about five rows from the front. Very difficult nowadays to get tickets at reasonable prices like that let alone groups of that stature.
    I always thought their singles are better than there albums but their albums are better than most.
  • Saw them at the LA Sports Arena, in '79 I think. Deafening!
  • Hex said:

Saw them at the LA Sports Arena, in '79 I think. Deafening!

Pardon?
  • Apparently, Townshend recorded the beach sounds used on Quadrophenia at the sea front at the end of my road.
  • Sponsored links:

• I thought I saw something today about them playing on a double bill with Guns'n'Roses but cannot find it at all now, so maybe I dreamt it.

My parents kindly agreed to give me the money for a new single. It came down to the Who's first single "Can't Explain" or something by Herman's Hermits. I chose Can't Explain, my parents were appalled, and the Who together with the Small Faces are the pillars of the music I've most enjoyed over the years.

My favourite track is "Song is Over" on Who's Next, which ends with a blistering crescendo of Moon magic.
  • Hex said:

Saw them at the LA Sports Arena, in '79 I think. Deafening!

A sign of the times - the LA Sports Arena has just been demolished and in its place will be a "soccer-specific stadium" for LAFC.

I was at that gig too - I don't remember thinking Daltry's voice was "off", but it was a while ago.
  • sammy391 said:

I bought meaty beaty big & bouncy as a teenager & thought it was excellent - didn't really know their best work until I heard them on tv whilst watching Live Aid. Reign O' Me & Wont Get Fooled Again just blew me away.

Ironically, I've seen both in the last 2 years and would disagree somewhat!

Absolutely this.

Last time I saw them was in Hyde Park a couple of years ago and Daltry's voice for Love, Reign o'er Me filled the night air as powerfully as ever it did.

Truly amazing band.
  • Was at the 1976 valley concert, 1981 Wembley stadium with ac/dc and lastly in 2007 on isle of man during the TT centenary.

I think that my sister saw them play at eltham baths as well as the famous isle of white concert with Hendrix.

It was great to have seen Moon in the flesh but a bit sad to only have Townsend and Daltrey left.
  • edited May 2017
    Better tight mod era band than their attempts to compete with the likes of Zeppelin etc. 3 minutes was their perfect song length. Apart from Baba O Reilly.
    Substitute, My Generation their best IMO.
  • Loads of threads on The Who:

http://forum.charltonlife.com/discussion/32824/the-who-live-the-valley

http://forum.charltonlife.com/discussion/25102/the-who-at-the-valley-in-1976

http://forum.charltonlife.com/discussion/53059/the-who-o2/p1

http://forum.charltonlife.com/discussion/16177/the-who-live-from-the-valley-1974

http://forum.charltonlife.com/discussion/77142/the-who-at-the-valley-1974-posters-signed-by-roger-daltrey-museum-fund-raiser

https://forum.charltonlife.com/discussion/44219/quadrophenia/p1

Plus plenty of mentions on other threads as well: Songs that should be played at The Valley after they've gone; Worst Live Band You've Seen; Glenn Tilbrook at The Anchor; Wilko Johnson; Perfect Songs of their genre; What's on your iPod; Spare ticket to see...

Perhaps surprisingly the one thread we don't seem to have is Top Five Songs Of The Who. So here goes:

My Generation
    Won't Get Fooled Again
    Boris The Spider
    Substitute
    Pictures of Lily
  • Saga Lout said:

I bought meaty beaty big & bouncy as a teenager & thought it was excellent - didn't really know their best work until I heard them on tv whilst watching Live Aid. Reign O' Me & Wont Get Fooled Again just blew me away.

I was at that gig too - I don't remember thinking Daltry's voice was "off", but it was a while ago.
    his voice hadn't gone then (it was about 15 odd years ago) but it has now.

my favourite 5 songs:

I wont get fooled again
    Baba O'Reilly
    Behind Blue Eyes
    You'd better you'd bet
    Who are you
  • I thought I saw something today about them playing on a double bill with Guns'n'Roses but cannot find it at all now, so maybe I dreamt it.

My parents kindly agreed to give me the money for a new single. It came down to the Who's first single "Can't Explain" or something by Herman's Hermits. I chose Can't Explain, my parents were appalled, and the Who together with the Small Faces are the pillars of the music I've most enjoyed over the years.

My favourite track is "Song is Over" on Who's Next, which ends with a blistering crescendo of Moon magic.

There's a really good program / series currently on Sky Arts which features Brian Johnson. In episode 1 he meets Roger Daltrey and they discuss the old days of the Who.

At one point Daltrey mentions a tour in which the Who open for Hermit's Hermits. Pure comical gold to think of Hermit's fans having to witness a high octane rock act, concluding in the violent demolition of guitars, drum kit and amps. And then ... enter Peter Noone "Mrs Brown you've got a lovely Daughter".

I think the Geordie and Cockney personalities really hit it off - great stories, great viewing.

Link to the G&R story (in South America)

http://ultimateclassicrock.com/guns-n-roses-who-concert/

• Sponsored links:

• Saw them at Glastonbury a couple of years back, and whilst they were great and you can easily overlook it - Daltry's voice did seem a little patchy.

Funny moment when Townsend and Daltry started different songs from the setlist for a few seconds and Townsend goes over the mike "you'd have thought we were in the same f***ing band".
  • Saga Lout said:

my favourite 5 songs:

I wont get fooled again
    Baba O'Reilly
    Behind Blue Eyes
    You'd better you'd bet
    Who are you
    You obviously didn't see them in March this year. Daltrey was singing supremely well - better than for years.
  • edited May 2017

Saga Lout said:

my favourite 5 songs:

I wont get fooled again
    Baba O'Reilly
    Behind Blue Eyes
    You'd better you'd bet
    Who are you
    Same for me, but I'd sub You Better You Bet for Pinball Wizard.
  • edited May 2017
    I've seen them loads of times and the original line up (including both gigs at the valley). I even managed to go to John Entwhistle's 40th birthday party. Favourite album is Live at Leeds but Quadropehia is up there with Tommy. So many favourite tracks which have previously been mentioned but I do love Amazing journey followed by Sparks which I think shows of every band member at their height.
  • Solidgone said:

I've seen them loads of times and the original line up (including both gigs at the valley). I even managed to go to John Entwhistle's 40th birthday party. Favourite album is Live at Leeds but Quadropehia is up there with Tommy. So many favourite tracks which have previously been mentioned but I do love Amazing journey followed by Sparks which I think shows of every band member at their height.

They've been playing Amazing Journey and Sparks recently, which for me, has been the highlight of the show. Zak Starkey has grown into his role over the years and his drumming is an integral part of the show now. Seems strange that he's now been playing with them for longer than Keith Moon did.
  • My favourite band of all time. Simply because they are the greatest band of all time.

Seen them a number of times but only once since Moony died.

So many great songs apart from the 'big hits'. As @PragueAddick already mentioned This song is over is sadly overlooked. Slip kid from By Numbers is a masterpiece of angst, disillusion and frustration.

Who I am by Pete is a good read for Who fans and, if you haven't seen it, check out the film Lambert and Stamp.

Keep on Rocking.

• seen them 5 times .. best album ? .. 'Live at Leeds'
  • seen them 5 times .. best album ? .. 'Live at Leeds'

Brilliant album.
  • Meaty was the first album I bought. Still one of my fav bands. Would love to have spent a night out with them at their pomp