Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Cover to Cover: Let's Work/Stick Together - Canned Heat v Bryan Ferry

Two versions of the same song. Listen to both without prejudice and say which you prefer and why.

No mentions of other versions allowed other than to say both are covers as the originals were both by the writer Wilbert Harrison who recorded the two different versions of the same song ("Stick" in 1962 and "Work" in 1969.)

So do you prefer the 1970 Canned Heat blues boogie Let's Work Together or the 1976 smooth and funky Bryan Ferry Let's Stick Together?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wGGW4IezbC4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z9EbR0ckb40

Comments

• No contest, cant stand Ferry and and most of Poxy Music.
    Canned Heat for me.....
  • Canned heat, they played this song at the Hyde park free concert, the day after the guitarist was buried. It rained most of the time,
    Like Roxy music, but this version has Chris Spedding, on guitar, is this not the period when Ferry wanted to be a 'pop star'.
  • Mum tricky one for me because I always tend to associate this song more with the Bryan Ferry version (I am never sure whether I like or loathe him) , but on balance I think I much prefer the Canned Heat version.
  • Canned Heat.
  • Canned Heat. Such a brilliant band. The Ferry one sounds too calculated and clean.
  • And Mrs Rupert Murdoch features in the Ferry video BTW.

Early lead for Canned Heat.

Thought there might be more support for the Ferry version from our soul boy and girl contingent
  • Nah.
    I also saw Canned Heat at the Hyde Park concert with Bob Hite and all, they also did the seminal 'On the road again'.
    For me this is an open goal for Canned Heat.
  • Canned Heat.
  • Canned Heat
  • Canned heat. Can't stand ferry.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited May 2017
    Bryan Ferry
  • Canned Heat
  • Canned Heat wipe the floor with him.
    I'm a Roxy Fan but Ferry's song sounds too contrived. I bet he conceived the video before recording it.
    Canned Heat rock.
  • Ferry.
  • edited May 2017
    Ferry comes across as an obnoxious bloke, but his version is far better.

If I heard some pub band doing that Canned Heat version I'd be very happy, but as a record it's not nearly original enough. Talking of which, what about this?:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kYWiUErA9Kw
  • edited May 2017
    Astounded what one or two people are saying about Brian Ferry.......he's one of the good guys,he's a polite respectful classy fella, well educated too(not that that necessarily makes him a decent person mind you)......can't see for one minute what there is to dislike about him other than he can appear to be a little aloof at times.
    Greenie your talking nonsense matey.....do you or anyone you know, know him?
    I know a few people who have worked with him over the years and have never heard a bad word said about the man.
    Incidentally......I like both versions.
  • Astounded what one or two people are saying about Brian Ferry.......he's one of the good guys,he's a polite respectful classy fella, well educated too(not that that necessarily makes him a decent person mind you)......can't see for one minute what there is to dislike about him other than he can appear to be a little aloof at times.
    Greenie your talking nonsense matey.....do you or anyone you know, know him?
    I know a few people who have worked with him over the years and have never heard a bad word said about the man.
    Incidentally......I like both versions.

OK to clarify, I can't stand Ferry or Poxy Music's music, it's too avant garde for me, I'm sure old Brian is kind to furry animals, but his music and vocal are pony. It's just my opinion and if you say he's a decent fella, fair enough mate.
  • Stig said:

Ferry comes across as an obnoxious bloke, but his version is far better.

If I heard some pub band doing that Canned Heat version I'd be very happy, but as a record it's not nearly original enough. Talking of which, what about this?:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kYWiUErA9Kw

Red card @Stig read the OP
  • seth plum said:

Nah.
    I also saw Canned Heat at the Hyde Park concert with Bob Hite and all, they also did the seminal 'On the road again'.

Was there as well Seth...... this might bring back a few memories,
    http://www.ukrockfestivals.com/Hyde-park-9-12-70.html
    Later the following week Hendrix died, the night he jammed with Eric Burdon and war at Ronnie Scott's, (who was on the bill at Hyde park, and turned up to support him, having rumoured to be at the park the previous week
  • canned heat for me.
  • Sponsored links:

• seth plum said:

Nah.

Was there as well Seth...... this might bring back a few memories,
    http://www.ukrockfestivals.com/Hyde-park-9-12-70.html
    Later the following week Hendrix died, the night he jammed with Eric Burdon and war at Ronnie Scott's, (who was on the bill at Hyde park, and turned up to support him, having rumoured to be at the park the previous week
    I remember it clearly. Eric Burdon announced at the Hyde Park gig that War were playing at Ronnie Scotts the following Wednesday and urged people to come and 'chase all those jazz fans away'. We weren't to know it would be Jimi's last live appearance of any kind.
  • Canned Heat
  • Probably Canned Heat for me, mostly because that was from my growing up generation.

I like Ferry, great front man for a great band in Roxy Music.

To say his version is too contrived, well I would say that was Ferry and Roxy to a tee, that was their style.
  • Canned Heat for me. Great group and The Bear was a great front man.
  • Canned Heat for me, as it's a Bromley record. Not meaning it was recorded in Bromley of course. Just that I was fourteen when it came out, and I lived in Bromley. And the music you liked when you were fourteen seems to stay with you.

Never bought it, but it was always on the radio.

Don't mind the Ferry version, but don't really like the 'slick' ahead-of-its-time production with the horns. Funnily enough the Canned Heat version has more soul, I reckon.
    Love the guitar sound as well.

Met Ferry once, and found he's a fellow cycling fan, so I liked him.
    I liked him less in the late seventies when my mum developed a soft spot for him.

Loved Virginia Plane/Pyjamarama is one of the great double A sides.
  • I've never listened to this song before, except maybe once in passing. It's a good tune. But to be totally honest, both versions have their flaws, and I probably wouldn't put either of these on a regular playlist any time soon.

The Canned Heat version seems to have some very wavey drumming - the tempo changes and fluctuates very minutely, but consistently, and messing with the meter of something so simple as a blues is somewhat unforgivable.

However, the fucking horn stabs on the Brian Ferry version. Jesus Christ what is that about?! Can they, y'know, perhaps sling in something that's not the tonic note? That was such a crap bit of arranging. I'm quite angry, tbh.

To be fair, for all the faults with the drumming, the Canned Heat version wins for me by an absolute mile. It's got a much more defined feel; the vocalist has a tone more suited to the song; and the guitar lick is simple and effective.

VERDICT: CANNED HEAT
  • I love both versions and whichever one I'm listening to at the time is my favourite until I listen to the other.

Still, this was a big win for Canned Heat. Surprised that so few went for Ferry.

Another eclectic choice later.
  • I love both versions and whichever one I'm listening to at the time is my favourite until I listen to the other.

Still, this was a big win for Canned Heat. Surprised that so few went for Ferry.

What about Stairway To Heaven- Led Zeppelin or Rolf Harris

What about Stairway To Heaven- Led Zeppelin or Rolf Harris
    Both suck.
  • Canned heat for me. Never heard of Canned Heat and never heard that version.