Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Credit where it is due

We all know that game at home to MK Dons on 4th was a performance where everything that could go wrong went horribly wrong and that was the first time I started to feel a little nervous. That night our saving grace was Millwall winning at Shrewsbury. Actually I started to feel a tad nervous after Peterborough after doing well for 70/75 minutes but conceding them 2 late goals along with the gap being closed to 4 points. But after the MK performance I think love him or hate him Karl deserves credit for getting the players to respond and of course so do the players along with the coaching staff to get 13 points from 15 even if it was against struggling teams. As a result we only just missed out on getting back into the top half by a single point. But that MK Dons games certainly kicked us up the arse, that's for sure.

But saying all this I am still frustrated as everyone else at finishing just 13th. But on the plus side we finished strongly and hopefully we can carry that momentum into next season by getting a good start and maybe kicking on. But I still can't help that these owners could still be a brick wall.

But also love Karl or hate Karl I believe that keeping him on is the least impractical solution if you like to see things that way. He has had just over half a season to analyse the squad and get to know them personally. He now knows what he feels needs to change early on and he knows League 1 as well. All this could give us that better chance. If we don't start in the way we want to start next season after a few games then let's revisit the situation then.

Personally I think it is probably highly unlikely we will repeat those 101 points of 2012 but I feel keeping Karl is the best thing for now.

Comments

• At present there's nothing to gain by changing manager, though despite that decent end to the season, KR's tenure probably contained the worst run I've ever known in many years as a Charlton fan, taking into account the league we're competing in.

But you never know what these owners might do.
  • "We finished strongly"..in our last 5 games that included 3 exceptionally poor relegated clubs (including Swindon's youth team on the last day).
  • edited May 2017
    I see the benefit of continuity even though I am far from convinced that he is the right person.

However our owner doesn't. The likelihood of many of the players still being here, and maybe Robinson himself, is doubtful.

Incidentally why do you keep starting the same thread time after time. All you do is dilute your message.
  • Admins, please close this thread. It has nothing new to say.
  • We finished with 6 wins out of 8 in the first season back in the championship under Powell.

Following season involved being in a relegation battle. Unless there is investment in the playing squad, momentum doesn't count for anything.
  • We all know that game at home to MK Dons on 4th was a performance where everything that could go wrong went horribly wrong and that was the first time I started to feel a little nervous. That night our saving grace was Millwall winning at Shrewsbury. Actually I started to feel a tad nervous after Peterborough after doing well for 70/75 minutes but conceding them 2 late goals along with the gap being closed to 4 points. But after the MK performance I think love him or hate him Karl deserves credit for getting the players to respond and of course so do the players along with the coaching staff to get 13 points from 15 even if it was against struggling teams. As a result we only just missed out on getting back into the top half by a single point. But that MK Dons games certainly kicked us up the arse, that's for sure.

But saying all this I am still frustrated as everyone else at finishing just 13th. But on the plus side we finished strongly and hopefully we can carry that momentum into next season by getting a good start and maybe kicking on. But I still can't help that these owners could still be a brick wall.

But also love Karl or hate Karl I believe that keeping him on is the least impractical solution if you like to see things that way. He has had just over half a season to analyse the squad and get to know them personally. He now knows what he feels needs to change early on and he knows League 1 as well. All this could give us that better chance. If we don't start in the way we want to start next season after a few games then let's revisit the situation then.

Personally I think it is probably highly unlikely we will repeat those 101 points of 2012 but I feel keeping Karl is the best thing for now.

This would all be fine if it wasn't a Duchatelet team we were talking about. Unfortunately the normal rules do not apply.
  • Sponsored links:

• You can't beat a bit of self mythology Henry :wink:
    Spot on btw
  • We all know that game at home to MK Dons on 4th was a performance where everything that could go wrong went horribly wrong and that was the first time I started to feel a little nervous. That night our saving grace was Millwall winning at Shrewsbury. Actually I started to feel a tad nervous after Peterborough after doing well for 70/75 minutes but conceding them 2 late goals along with the gap being closed to 4 points. But after the MK performance I think love him or hate him Karl deserves credit for getting the players to respond and of course so do the players along with the coaching staff to get 13 points from 15 even if it was against struggling teams. As a result we only just missed out on getting back into the top half by a single point. But that MK Dons games certainly kicked us up the arse, that's for sure.

Why is it highly unlikely we will repeat those 101 points of 2012. KM told the Fans Forum last April the plan for this season was to build a squad for promotion on the same lines Powelly built his
  • Cut him a bit of slack lads, it was 1.25am - and he'd clearly been on the source.
  • From the Relegation Battle League 1 2017 thread:

Powell Is Pleasant
    February 28
    We'll pick up a bit of form towards the end of the season and finish mid-table. Lots of promises will be made. A lot of people will look on the bright side. We'll get relegated next season.
    Flag Quote · Like 1LOL
  • Wow, this self mythology is catching :wink:
    Wonder if I've ever said anything profound or visionary?
    Nah!
  • Robinson will amost certainly have four new players attending pre-season. Messrs Sarr, Kashi, Ceballos and Vetokele. Unlikely any will play in the league but it would help our cause enormously if 2 or 3 did. Gobbo will realise this.
  • Repeat last 3 years only at a lower level with a depleted squad short on players and well short of quality. But we can be proud that we will blood so many youngsters. We will also has a budget that is very competitive and probably is a top 12 one.
    That's my prediction for next season.
  • I don't go for the whole 'momentum carried into next season'. It's 2 1/2 months until the next game. Players will go, new players will come. Game to game momentum maybe but not end of season to the following season. Look at Leicester.

Unless we do actually make some good signings it's mid table yet again with RD as owner, KM as CEO, a managerial change at some point and the odd rumour of a takeover. Winning is not important. If we meet our friends and have a dance all is good.

I'm not optimistic.

• Sponsored links:

• Cut him a bit of slack lads, it was 1.25am - and he'd clearly been on the source.

Got to love those Blue WKD's
  • I believe that keeping him on is the least impractical solution

Whoohoo! Credit where it's due, he is (in your eyes at least) the least impractical solution. That's what this club is calling out for: a touch of ambition. The least impractical, you say. Well that ticks all the boxes for me. Long term contract for Karl please.

Then again, if you think about it there is an even less impractical solution. Lets get rid of the intransigent owner and the incompetent CEO and replace them with people who are willing and able to manage the club properly. Then, and only then, will it make sense to start fussing about who manages the first team.
  • 'Henry Irving
    February 18
    And when it no longer matters, when the play offs are out of sight we will go on a little run.

And all will be well, the future will be bright and we'll be told to renew our season tickets, get behind the team and wait to see how wonderful the rebuilt squad will be in August.

And some will buy the lies again, just like before.
    Flag Quote · 78Like LOL"

From the post Rochdale defeat thread on February 18

From the Relegation Battle League 1 2017 thread:

Powell Is Pleasant
    February 28
    We'll pick up a bit of form towards the end of the season and finish mid-table. Lots of promises will be made. A lot of people will look on the bright side. We'll get relegated next season.
    Flag Quote · Like 1LOL

From the thread, 'Songs that describe Charlton Life'.

Chizz - February 2014

"There Ain't Half Been Some Clever Bastards"

Like 2

I'm going back to bed
  • If Swindon or Gillingham could finish we would have lost both those games. Defensively we've looked all over the place under KR.

And he may even have been on the sauce as well.
  • Admins, please close this thread. It has nothing new to say.

I'll be honest on a personal level I'd like to encourage more threads to be started from the hours of midnight to 3/4am on a weekend. Creativity levels will be at their highest
  • Where I quite Karl I still don't quite hold him in the same high regard as
    SCP ffor example.
  • edited May 2017
    I don't see any place where any credit is due. As mentioned before, a group of ten-year-olds would have done a better job. The damage is on-going, as the mistakes of the past still have to be paid for. KR is obviously frustrated like we are, but as others rightly point out, he knew the job was dangerous when he took it.
  • Where I quite Karl I still don't quite hold him in the same high regard as
    SCP ffor example.

There's literally no comparison.