Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Tomorrow's World

The TV programme that predicted the mobile 'phone, the home computer, chip and pin, touch screen technology and plastic grass, makes its return to our screens later this year on BBC.

Alas, no Raymond Baxter, William Woollard or Judith Hann.

Comments

• Baxter also did a lot of commentating/punditing on motor sport .. and what about James Burke ? ..he was the main man on a few very good BBC science programmes
  • Greenie said:

Loved TW as a kid and Raymond Baxter was a Spitfire pilot in WW2. A bloody hero.

Used to love him commentating on the Farnborough air shows
  • Baxter also did a lot of commentating/punditing on motor sport .. and what about James Burke ? ..he was the main man on a few very good BBC science programmes

James Burke - seriously intelligent man - very good at explaining complicated things to the 'common man'

I used to have a bit of a schoolboy crush thing for Judith Hann
  • edited May 2017
    Who is the bloke with dark hair on the right ?
  • Shame they couldn't have predicted the life and times of Roland Duchatelet. We could have turned off the lights, shut the curtains, and pretended nobody was home when he arrived to speak to Slater and co.
  • Greenie said:

Loved TW as a kid and Raymond Baxter was a Spitfire pilot in WW2. A bloody hero.

Used to love him commentating on the Farnborough air shows
    RB was an ex RAF fighter pilot.

Also - Michael Rodd had a bit of time on TW as I recall.
  • Who is the bloke with dark hair on the right ?

Howard Staplesomething?
  • Great prog.
  • Sponsored links:

• was the Sinclair c5 car launched on Tomorrow's World.

Howard Staplesomething?
    right .. good memory .. Howard Stapleford ..
  • Excellent news. Will look forward to that.

I wonder if they will do a feature each episode showing old features?
  • I always remember a new fireproofing material on TW. They put paper in a metal box then smothered the box with this wonder stuff and then lit a fire around it.
    Needless to say the obvious happened, the paper was to ash.
  • Shame they couldn't have predicted the life and times of Roland Duchatelet. We could have turned off the lights, shut the curtains, and pretended nobody was home when he arrived to speak to Slater and co.

Give it a rest for fuck's sake.
  • Could never get me head around Maggie Filbin being married to Keith fuckin Chegwin. Real early crush of mine she was
  • I remember one episode where they showed a CD smothered in jam placed in a CD player and it still worked.

Sod trying that in my own CD player!
  • JohnBoyUK said:

I remember one episode where they showed a CD smothered in jam placed in a CD player and it still worked.

Was a three piece band from Woking?
  • JohnBoyUK said:

I remember one episode where they showed a CD smothered in jam placed in a CD player and it still worked.

I think it was Bob Marley's CD player.
  • JohnBoyUK said:

VHS alwats worked covered in Harry
  • Sponsored links:

• JohnBoyUK said:

That was Swap Shop with Noel Edmonds !!!
  • Could never get me head around Maggie Filbin being married to Keith fuckin Chegwin. Real early crush of mine she was

They divorced due to Cheggers drink problems
  • edited May 2017

Who is the bloke with dark hair on the right ?

Howard Staplesomething?
    That's the fella.

Loved a bit of Tomorrow's World as a kid. What a future I was going to have. Robots doing everything in my fully automated, self cleaning, house, rocket packs to whizz about on, self driving hover cars, holographic entertainment systems, the lot!

Gits.

Howard Staplesomething?
    That's the fella.

Loved a bit of Tomorrow's World as a kid. What a future I was going to have. Robots doing everything in my fully automated, self cleaning, house, rocket packs to whizz about on, self driving hover cars, holographic entertainment systems, the lot!

Gits.
    lol .. instead we are now all slaves to 'technology'
  • didn't they say that by 2000 we'd all be working a 3 day week as computers would be able to do most jobs. All computers have done is to replace a lot of the workforce, esp in car manufacturing and people are having to work harder, for longer.

I do remember one programme showing a new type of fuel for airplanes that wouldnt burn or create smoke if the plane crashed. Seemed like a great product but no idea if it has ever been used.
  • Redskin said:

Shame they couldn't have predicted the life and times of Roland Duchatelet. We could have turned off the lights, shut the curtains, and pretended nobody was home when he arrived to speak to Slater and co.

Give it a rest for fuck's sake.
    Sorry Katrien