Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

May Council Elections

Went to my local polling station to vote at noon. I was only the 14th person to vote there today and they'd been open since 7.00am.

Seems people really don't care who gets to spend their hard earned Council Taxes anymore.

Comments

• Will do mine after work, of all people the lib dems round my way have been canvassing positively.
  • eh????.....had absolutely no idea
  • I haven't had any knocks on the door or any literature from any candidate. If they can't be arsed then I certainly can't.

Greenwich doesn't vote until next year.

Not in London, just for the country bumpkin types in Maidstone and other villages.
  • Addickted said:

Are you still pretending Bromley is in London?

Bromley is in kent
    Clb74
    60 xxx road
    Bromley
    Kent
  • clb74 said:

Addickted said:

Bromley is in kent
    Clb74
    60 xxx road
    Bromley
    Kent
    Not until it's on the OS.

• Addickted said:

Definition of a Village 14 votes in five hours
    All from the same family.
  • Sponsored links:

• Voted in Chelmsford. They even shut my daughter's​ school to use as a polling station which is utterly ridiculous
  • Ditto Mcbobbin at mine
  • Been heavily overshadowed by the General Election, and as London isn't voting, by the London-centric media!

• will be voting later
  • Addickted said:

Went to my local polling station to vote at noon. I was only the 14th person to vote there today and they'd been open since 7.00am.

Seems people really don't care who gets to spend their hard earned Council Taxes anymore.

No doubt some of them will be the first to complain?

I've already voted. Good turnout so far in my area.

• Not that we are that detached from London down here, but I just voted against decimalisation!! ;)
  • T.C.E said:

Not that we are that detached from London down here, but I just voted against decimalisation!! ;)

You've got the entering the EEC vote to look forward to
  • Only bloke who's bothering campaigning here is Lib Dem. I'll vote later, he'll probably get my vote.
  • Oggy Red said:

Addickted said:

No doubt some of them will be the first to complain?

I've already voted. Good turnout so far in my area.

No local elections here but I am constantly amazed/amused/frustrated by those that freely admit to voting for the incumbent party locally who then spend the intervening years until the next election moaning about the decisions taken by the people they voted for.

Then they go out and do it again...

Unique, meaning wierd.
  • edited May 2017
    What effect do the differing parties make at local level? Are we voting for a new set of plants in the ornamental gardens or do councillors have real powers to prioritise spending/raise taxes? I've never paid much attention to local politics so I'd like some advice about who I should vote for or whether I should just save myself the walk to the polling station.
  • Sponsored links:

• Addickted said:

I live in the County Town of Kent, whereas Bromley can't make up it's mind.

Remind me what SE London postcode does Bromley have?

• Postcodes were set decades ago before the 1965 London Council act when Bromley, and Bexley, became part of London. Get with the times Daddio

Off for some pie and mash with a cappuccino like what us London types have for lunch
  • Addickted said:

Addickted said:

I live in the County Town of Kent, whereas Bromley can't make up it's mind.

Remind me what SE London postcode does Bromley have?

This issue is easily solved by moving out of Bromley*.

*don't move to Bexley.
  • Postcodes were set decades ago before the 1965 London Council act when Bromley, and Bexley, became part of London. Get with the times Daddio

Off for some pie and mash with a cappuccino like what us London types have for lunch

Bromley's BR postcode was introduced in 1969 daddio.

May be better you have a skinny latte.
  • Addickted said:

Postcodes were set decades ago before the 1965 London Council act when Bromley, and Bexley, became part of London. Get with the times Daddio

not the SE postcodes which came in in 1868 and the SE7 etc which came in in 1917
  • This is exactly the kind of content I come to this website for.
  • Tend not to go too much on the party line, more on the effectiveness, or complacency of the councillors elected. The ruling Tory party, seem to be at odds with current local issues for me, and the local councillor in Folkestone apparently defected to the Conservatives, so I voted Green. Will not be at the General election. But the local councillor attends local meetings, and I have heard that he approachable, and effective. Heard him speak at a public meeting. Couple of the independents are okay as well. The conservative's did not even send a representative, ( the only party not to do so) seems to sum up there arrogance from my limited time down here.
  • The most interesting result of the Kent elections will be the UKIP vote. Last time out they polled about a quarter of the vote and ended up as the 2nd biggest party in terms of seats. My feeling is their vote will shrink but who will the votes go to?
  • Addickted said:

Postcodes were set decades ago before the 1965 London Council act when Bromley, and Bexley, became part of London. Get with the times Daddio

not the SE postcodes which came in in 1868 and the SE7 etc which came in in 1917
    I refer you to the question I asked previously.