Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Club cricket thread

The Kent and Kent Regional Cricket Leagues started up on Saturday - hope everyone had a good weekend, if they were playing!

Now, I'm sure there are a variety of us here who play a bit of cricket (or, like in my case, do a not-that-passable imitation of cricket actions in match situations), and I thought maybe we'd all want to share our experiences, updates, notable match incidents, and perhaps most importantly - source a few players for friendlies/times of desperation!

I'm skippering the Old Colfeians 4th XI this year, and am in fact in the esteemed company of @AshBurton, AshBurton Jr, and @Leuth - a true mix of quality (needless to say, Ash's 13yo son is the best player by a mile). We start on the 13th, and as it happens I'm wondering if anyone's interested in a game or eighteen this season! We're always looking for members, and ability is of no concern (seriously, watch me bowl, it's highly amusing). Do let me know if you might fancy it!

I hope we all have great seasons - unless we cross paths...

Paddy

Comments

• I thought I heard you guys were having trouble raising teams this season, or have I got my clubs mixed up?

I actually scored my first runs since 2013 on Saturday (3 not out in a pre-season friendly) - it's not as bad as it seems, as it was just my third game since then, and just my sixth since 2013!
  • Pedro45 said:

I thought I heard you guys were having trouble raising teams this season, or have I got my clubs mixed up?

I actually scored my first runs since 2013 on Saturday (3 not out in a pre-season friendly) - it's not as bad as it seems, as it was just my third game since then, and just my sixth since 2013!

You'd be correct - to an extent!

We were thinking of folding the 4s based on a lack of availability last year, but that was mainly down to the almost impressive levels of disorganisation at 1st XI level. We also had a few gents leave over the summer, including the 3s skipper and a few of his players/mates/relatives, leaving us in a little bit of a quandary.

That's now sorted with a much more efficient 1s skipper, and to the lower sides' credit, we've become pretty good at finding players, so there's a fair amount of fresh blood. Quality does remain to be seen to some extent, but I've got every hope for the season ahead.

Excellent start - got to protect that average now! Who do you play for?
  • That's good. Hate to see sides struggling! Good luck with the new lads.

Actually mis-typed, it was just my sixth game for Chislehurst & West Kent since 2003! I only fill in when they are desperate these days, as I can't run much since the knees went all those years ago. These days I umpire on the KCL panel. Less physical strain!
  • That all sounds more than ideal tbh! Get involved!
  • Chizz said:

PaddyP17 said:

The Kent and Kent Regional Cricket Leagues started up on Saturday - hope everyone had a good weekend, if they were playing!

Now, I'm sure there are a variety of us here who play a bit of cricket (or, like in my case, do a not-that-passable imitation of cricket actions in match situations), and I thought maybe we'd all want to share our experiences, updates, notable match incidents, and perhaps most importantly - source a few players for friendlies/times of desperation!

I'm skippering the Old Colfeians 4th XI this year, and am in fact in the esteemed company of @AshBurton, AshBurton Jr, and @Leuth - a true mix of quality (needless to say, Ash's 13yo son is the best player by a mile). We start on the 13th, and as it happens I'm wondering if anyone's interested in a game or eighteen this season! We're always looking for members, and ability is of no concern (seriously, watch me bowl, it's highly amusing). Do let me know if you might fancy it!

Paddy

Two centuries
    Highest score of 101*
    Best bowling of 6-34
    Captained at three different clubs
    Now without a club

If I can get my garden into some sort of shape this Spring, you may get an inquiry from me as to whether you need to recruit a former opening batsman who used to bowl tidy offspin, stand at second slip and would always adopt the mantra, "strike the ball repeatedly out of the ground, without taking chances" whenever possible.
    Come play for your namesake team @Chizz!
  • Mods, is there a threadban function? ;)
  • Ahem, what I mean to say is um yes Chizz you would surely rather play alongside your um outspoken political comrades and score loads of runs for their team yes glad we're all agreed
  • 12200 runs
    63 50s
    21 100s

Now without a club.
  • I'm currently without a club, just moved to south west London over the winter, not sure if anyone is round that area and has a club?

Played at a decent village league level, medium pace/fast medium when I can be arsed. Best figures is 8-18

Not great bat tho.
  • Sponsored links:

• Chizz said:

PaddyP17 said:

Paddy

Two centuries
    Highest score of 101*
    Best bowling of 6-34
    Now without a club

If I can get my garden into some sort of shape this Spring, you may get an inquiry from me as to whether you need to recruit a former opening batsman who used to bowl tidy offspin, stand at second slip and would always adopt the mantra, "strike the ball repeatedly out of the ground, without taking chances" whenever possible.
    This sounds absolutely ideal. And with you and Leuth spearheading (with myself as a capable deputy), we'd have the most left-wing spin attack in the country!
  • iamdan said:

12200 runs
    63 50s
    21 100s

Now without a club.

Feel free to PM me! There are, of course, three teams above mine at OCCC...
  • iamdan said:

12200 runs
    63 50s
    21 100s

Now without a club.

Not for long mate.
    Where do you live?
  • Chizz said:

PaddyP17 said:

Paddy

Two centuries
    Highest score of 101*
    Best bowling of 6-34
    Now without a club

Sounds great, but I'm not sure second slip is a recognised (or needed) fielding position in the Old Colfeians 4s....
  • AshBurton said:

Chizz said:

PaddyP17 said:

Paddy

Two centuries
    Highest score of 101*
    Best bowling of 6-34
    Now without a club

Sounds great, but I'm not sure second slip is a recognised (or needed) fielding position in the Old Colfeians 4s....
    Sounds perfect! Second slip is all about being in the position to avoid the ball as much as possible.
  • AshBurton said:

Chizz said:

PaddyP17 said:

Paddy

Two centuries
    Highest score of 101*
    Best bowling of 6-34
    Now without a club

Just you wait.

Four slips and a gully; point; cover; mid off; and mid-wicket to mop up the occasional one off the legs.

I back my bowlers.
  • n.b. our fastest bowler is probably my quicker ball, and my quicker ball is a 5-run beamer over the keeper
  • My batting prowess is best summed up with this cracking shot....
  • My batting prowess is best summed up with this cracking shot....

If this is a caption competition, my entry is Mike Brearley at slip saying "Are you SURE you're left handed?"

• Belvedere CC in Kent Regional League could do with players. I'll be putting my feet up this season after 10 tons, 75 50''s and 500 plus wickets.
  • Sponsored links:

• Just read a great piece on the BBC website. A Bangladesh club cricketer has been banned for 10 years after bowling a 20 ball over - only 4 legitimate deliveries & he conceded 80 runs. The opposition won after just 4 balls........... Thats my kind of bowling.
  • Just read a great piece on the BBC website. A Bangladesh club cricketer has been banned for 10 years after bowling a 20 ball over - only 4 legitimate deliveries & he conceded 80 runs. The opposition won after just 4 balls........... Thats my kind of bowling.

Banned? A bit harsh for being shit....

To be fair if that was me I would never show my face again!
  • That's exactly twice as many runs as my worst over. He must be bad.
  • Leuth said:

That's exactly twice as many runs as my worst over. He must be bad.

Dear god almighty.
    More than 6 runs a ball.
    After 20 runs it would have been better to continue underarm.
  • seth plum said:

Leuth said:

Dear god almighty.
    More than 6 runs a ball.
    He went for 17 in the next over, too. 2-0-0-58. It's almost legendary.

Banned? A bit harsh for being shit....

To be fair if that was me I would never show my face again!
    It was in protest at what they thought were poor umpiring decisions, to be fair.
  • PaddyP17 said:

seth plum said:

Leuth said:

Dear god almighty.
    More than 6 runs a ball.
    Good captaincy to keep him on.

Good for the confidence.
  • I'm currently without a club, just moved to south west London over the winter, not sure if anyone is round that area and has a club?

Played at a decent village league level, medium pace/fast medium when I can be arsed. Best figures is 8-18

Not great bat tho.

Why not join my old club, Mitcham CC? (the oldest club in the world).

The club has had a long fall over the last 19 seasons, going from the Surrey Championship Premier down to the 2nd Division of the feeder league (called The Fullers League I think). But they've found their level and at 2nd and 3rd team level, they've had a couple of recent promotions.

It's all a bit different playing at Mitcham, with all the traffic buzzing around the ground and having to cross the road to bat etc but I loved my 7 seasons there. Go for it.
  • Ben18 said:

PaddyP17 said:

seth plum said:

Leuth said:

Dear god almighty.
    More than 6 runs a ball.

Good for the confidence.
    I've considered that tactic in a game going nowhere.

When the opposition needed 80 to win off five overs but were 9 down so were blocking everything to secure a draw.

Bring on a bowler to bowl tactical wides. Position the keeper on the boundary. Each wide was allowed to cross the boundary. 60 off the over. Leaving 20 needed off four.

The batting team is then compelled to go for the win. Game on.

Bring the two openers back on. Win the game in the penultimate over.

Beers all round.
  • Ben18 said:

PaddyP17 said:

seth plum said:

Leuth said:

Dear god almighty.
    More than 6 runs a ball.

Good for the confidence.
    I would like to point out to any potential new recruits that I was *not* captain in this particular game