Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Sin Bins in Football - What do you think?

Comments

• edited May 2017
    Penalty is awarded and half a dozen surround the referee questioning the decision - would he sin bin all of them for dissent? (I know the change is designed to eliminate that behaviour).

Maybe a variation on this - Yellow card offence - yellow card issued. Subsequent yellow card offence - 10 min sin bin issued. Any player returning from a sin bin and committing another yellow card offence is dismissed.

Straight red for serious foul play/violent conduct remains.
  • "Penalty is awarded and half a dozen surround the referee questioning the decision - would he sin bin all of them for dissent? (I know the change is designed to eliminate that behaviour)."

Yes please - it would only need to happen once or twice for the message to get through - but then you could probably achieve the same result with yellow cards.
  • Where will the Sin Bins be though?

Modern Stadiums are designed to have an area for the Dugouts (i.e. Look at the Eithad Stadium or Wembley where they back in the stands) - Will Football Stadiums have to be amended to fit in this new area or will the offending player have to stand down the tunnel for a few minutes?

Not like they should be allowed to go sit on the team bench as it'll give the Manager an excuse to hand out instructions for the rest of the team when they come back on to the pitch.
  • No just make the players respect the ref like they do in rugby in most cases.
  • Where will the Sin Bins be though?

Modern Stadiums are designed to have an area for the Dugouts (i.e. Look at the Eithad Stadium or Wembley where they back in the stands) - Will Football Stadiums have to be amended to fit in this new area or will the offending player have to stand down the tunnel for a few minutes?

Not like they should be allowed to go sit on the team bench as it'll give the Manager an excuse to hand out instructions for the rest of the team when they come back on to the pitch.

Stand with the 4th official?
  • Back comes the sinners sofa?
  • dizzee said:

No just make the players respect the ref like they do in rugby in most cases.

They use sin bins in Rugby don't part of the reason the respect is so good!
  • Terrible idea, which the FA are bribing teams to adopt (by dropping the £10 yellow card fee).

Are offences being introduced into the Laws which will be dealt with by sin binning? Or are the laws being changed so that some current offences which merit a yellow card are being downgraded to a sin bin?

Is a sin binning supposed to be a lesser punishment than a yellow card or a bigger punishment? How many times can a player be sin binned without being red carded?

What happens if someone shows dissent after 81 minutes? Is he booked (in which case that shows that a booking is sufficient to deal with dissent)? Or is he sin binned (which is effectively as bad as being sent off)?

Stupid idea. Hope it fails on its arse. Hope the Laws are properly enforced and adhered to, instead.
  • Yep, all day long. They work in other sports and would soon impact on the arrogant, petulant, cheating and conniving behaviour of the majority of professional footballers (not to mention the impact that behaviour has at grass roots and junior level).

But as usual, football knows best and will continue to drag its heels and stick its head in the sand when it comes to moving with the times!!

Sadly, people don't like change, even when it is ultimately for the best.
  • Sponsored links:

• For me personally it a great idea and works in other sports where sin bins are used , Ice Hockey, Rugby ect... I've always thought its too much of game changer have a red card for certian offences
  • good idea .. also, the FL should take another leaf from rugby league .. the 'on report' .. when an offence noticed by the referee is either not exactly clear to him or does not appear to him to merit a red card t the time .. the referee reports the incident to a review panel after the game to recommend either a ban or another punishment ..

also, the sin bin should be used when a 'professional foul'; tripping, shirt tugging, obstruction etc. when an opponent is in the clear on goal but outside the penalty area, BUT the foul in question does not merit a red card .. yellow and 15 minutes in the bin for that .. also do away with the red card for the 'last man fouling' rule .. a penalty, yellow card and on report should suffice

too many games are spoilt by (especially) early sendings off .. although, ironically. the best performance I saw last season was at Bolton when Page was sent off after about 10 minutes and we went on to win .. one of the highlights of a VERY poor season
  • edited May 2017

good idea .. also, the FL should take another leaf from rugby league .. the 'on report' .. when an offence noticed by the referee is either not exactly clear to him or does not appear to him to merit a red card t the time .. the referee reports the incident to a review panel after the game to recommend either a ban or another punishment ..

also, the sin bin should be used when a 'professional foul'; tripping, shirt tugging, obstruction etc. when an opponent is in the clear on goal but outside the penalty area, BUT the foul in question does not merit a red card .. yellow and 15 minutes in the bin for that .. also do away with the red card for the 'last man fouling' rule .. a penalty, yellow card and on report should suffice

too many games are spoilt by (especially) early sendings off .. although, ironically. the best performance I saw last season was at Bolton when Page was sent off after about 10 minutes and we went on to win .. one of the highlights of a VERY poor season

This is my main concern. Currently a Yellow allows a player to remain on the field - sin bins don't. Red cards are relatively rare whereas yellow cards are not. Add to that the factor that most yellow cards are clustered towards the end of a game and in a heated affair you could have a side down to 8 or 9 players on the field.

If sin bins were introduced it would either need to be something like I mentioned earlier that two yellows equals a sin bin rather than Red, or referees would need to change the frequency of formal action.

Imagine how the 2010 World Cup Final would have played out if sin binning was an option.
  • edited May 2017
    My general feeling with things like this, video replays (with the exception of goal line technology), whether or not to stop the clock, is that football is fine. In fact, we live in a golden age of football in which the preparation and standards have never been higher, players have never been better athletes with more science behind them, and we have easily two of the best men to ever kick a football playing simultaneously for rival clubs to such a high degree that it's almost boring and cliche.

The only downside is that the brilliant and incredibly handsome Xabi Alonso will be retiring at the end of this year.

Football is brilliant.
  • be nice if they could concentrate on the actions off the pitch of clubs rather than wasting millions on new tech.
  • Sin Bins a yes from me. Especially for kicking the ball away at a free kick, the charade that happens when at a free kick a team is allowed to waste time by not giving the ball back. This is cheating the paying fans out of some football viewing time, as players are just given a 'talking to' over this and rarely a yellow card.

Therefore this aggravation would be an upgrade to a 10/15min sin bin penalty.
  • I'm all for it. From what I have seen, it works well in Rugby.
  • I'm pretty sure that this will come to professional football in England just after phase 28 of Charlton's dugout building project has been completed and that the new dugouts will be immediately obsolete.
  • stonemuse said:

I'm all for it. From what I have seen, it works well in Rugby.

The average number of yellow cards (sin bins) in the Zurich Premiership this current season is less than one per game. It has an effect for the 10mins but is not catastrophic.

In the FA Premier league it is five times that figure - my concern remains multiple people in the bin at the same time unless referees get a lot more lenient.

• Sin bins? Yes please.

Two yellows / deliberate handball / denial of clear goal-scoring opportunity (the so-called "last man" foul) / dissent (possibly the dumbest offence on a footy pitch)= 10 minutes in the bin.

If you've already had two yellows any subsequent yellow cards also result in a binning.

Save the red cards for violent conduct and racist/homophobic etc abuse.
  • Sponsored links:

• LoOkOuT said:

Fabulous idea. Also, they should introduce detention for offenses such as not being able to clear the first man at a corner or foul throws. For 45 minutes after a match, players in detention have to sit in a nondescript back office at the ground and complete mindnumbingly dull tasks, such as writing out lines, or completing behavioral contracts. Perhaps all players in detention up and down the country must being detention by being made to watch a 15 minute inspirational lecture from Karl Robinson and anyone laughing or taking the piss must serve additional time in 5 minute intervals based on degree of dissension.

The ultimate deterrent - they wouldn't do it again.
  • LoOkOuT said:

Fabulous idea. Also, they should introduce detention for offenses such as not being able to clear the first man at a corner or foul throws. For 45 minutes after a match, players in detention have to sit in a nondescript back office at the ground and complete mindnumbingly dull tasks, such as writing out lines, or completing behavioral contracts. Perhaps all players in detention up and down the country must being detention by being made to watch a 15 minute inspirational lecture from Karl Robinson and anyone laughing or taking the piss must serve additional time in 5 minute intervals based on degree of dissension.

now even the very threat of this punishment would be a definite guarantee of good behaviour ((:>)
  • It's worth a try because too many games are ruined by players being sent off in the first 15 minutes.
  • bobmunro said:

Penalty is awarded and half a dozen surround the referee questioning the decision - would he sin bin all of them for dissent? (I know the change is designed to eliminate that behaviour).

Maybe a variation on this - Yellow card offence - yellow card issued. Subsequent yellow card offence - 10 min sin bin issued. Any player returning from a sin bin and committing another yellow card offence is dismissed.

This is the same rules as field hockey, with a green card, yellow card, red card system.
  • LLMTP said:

bobmunro said:

This is the same rules as field hockey, with a green card, yellow card, red card system.
    Yes not dissimilar - although a player can get a second yellow card (another sin bin) but the suspension from the game will get longer.

Another issue with sin bin is the referee would need to be able to stop the clock when there was a delay in play for an injury etc... and time-wasting generally, but in particular by a team with a player in the bin, would need to be clamped down on.

Why can't we just leave the game alone?
  • bobmunro said:

LLMTP said:

bobmunro said:

Yes not dissimilar - although a player can get a second yellow card (another sin bin) but the suspension from the game will get longer.

Another issue with sin bin is the referee would need to be able to stop the clock when there was a delay in play for an injury etc... and time-wasting generally, but in particular by a team with a player in the bin, would need to be clamped down on.

Why can't we just leave the game alone?
    good points against
  • I would welcome an experiment with sin bins. I've definitely been at games where a sending-off has ruined what could have been a classic encounter. It is especially galling if the player is sent off for 2 relatively minor offences or if you think the player didn't deserve one of the 2 yellows (this kind of error on the part of the ref is especially common when it is one of our players on the receiving end, I've found). Obviously it needs a of of thought.

• Never mind the players - sin bins for owners, now that would really be something ....