Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Cover to Cover: Take me to the River - Al Green v Talking Heads

Two versions of the same song.

Listen to both without prejudice and say which one you prefer and why?

And I don't care if there are any other bloody versions!

Do you prefer the Rev Al Green smooth soul voiced funky original form 1974 or the more rocky New York New Wave Talking Heads cover from just four years later in 1978.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vGD8aQ2GKr0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ar2VHW1i2w

Comments

• Neither, dislike both equally.
  • stonemuse said:

Neither, dislike both equally.

Surprised
  • Both are records that are best kept in their covers.
  • stonemuse said:

Surprised
    Not a fan of either, particularly Talking Heads ... tried on many occasions but can't get into them.
  • stonemuse said:

stonemuse said:

Surprised
    Not a fan of either, particularly Talking Heads ... tried on many occasions but can't get into them.
    but you don't like Al Green? such a beautiful soul voice
  • Can't resist the voice of Al Green. The Talking Heads version is a little turgid. Al Green wins hands down for me.
  • stonemuse said:

stonemuse said:

Surprised
    Strange but true :smile:
  • stonemuse said:

stonemuse said:

stonemuse said:

Surprised
    Strange but true :smile:
    I've never been a big Talking Heads fan either although I like some of their stuff.
  • Talking Heads for me.
  • It was always going to be Al Green here.
  • Sponsored links:

• The Rev Al Green (it's the voice man), although I love Talking Heads.

I'm looking forward to when Teenage Kick (Undertones or One Direction) has one of these threads
  • edited April 2017

The Rev Al Green (it's the voice man), although I love Talking Heads.

I'm looking forward to when Teenage Kick (Undertones or One Direction) has one of these threads

Ha ha.

Some songs are like listed buildings and should never be allowed to be covered; Son of a preacher man and Teenage Kicks being two of them.
  • Al Green, no contest

Ha ha.

Some songs are like listed buildings and should never to covered; Son of a preacher man and Teenage Kicks being two of them.
    oh, err, I covered teenage kicks once

Ha ha.

Some songs are like listed buildings and should never to covered; Son of a preacher man and Teenage Kicks being two of them.
    oh and btw I'm not part of one direction

Ha ha.

oh and btw I'm not part of one direction
    Yeah, Karim left to go solo
  • I'm a huge Talking Heads fan, but Al green wins this one.
  • Huge talking heads fan, but this is mot their best. Al Green on a points decision.

Ha ha.

Some songs are like listed buildings and should never be allowed to be covered; Son of a preacher man and Teenage Kicks being two of them.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QZJ0N8USO0o
  • I love Talking Heads although this isn't one of their best.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited April 2017
    Talking heads for me. Funnily enough given the other opinions on here, it's one of my favourites by them.
  • Brilliant record done in different styles by two excellent performers. To be fair, I'd probably prefer Al Green one week and Talking Head's version the next.

I'll go for Talking Heads today as the production of the song on those videos is far superior. Tina Weymouth is my favourite female Bass player and she really hits it with the TH version.
  • edited April 2017
    I love Talking Heads and in my youthful ignorance that was the first version I heard and thought it was their own . But Al Green? The best by many miles.
  • Al Green
  • edited April 2017
    Stig said:

The Rev Al Green (it's the voice man), although I love Talking Heads.

Ha ha.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QZJ0N8USO0o
    Wow good old Dave Suich there singing away, he was in the first live band I ever saw when we both at the same school. They were called Teef, and they did All Right Now and I thought they were brilliant :smiley:
    Have bumped into him a few times over the years...
  • Neither but Talking Heads shade it slightly
  • Love Al Green and saw him live once in his gospel only years, so unfortunately he didn't perform his classics such as this.

I also like that Talking Heads version but Al Green wins for me.
  • The Talking Heads version on Stop Making Sense is better than this recorded version. For that reason I go for Talking Heads.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=anjT71N4PGM