Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Thames Garden Bridge

The planned pedestrian bridge from Temple to the South Bank has, effectively, been scrapped by Sadiq Khan, as he has refused to write a blank cheque from the taxpayer to see the work completed. Or, in fact, started.

Should we go ahead with the bridge? Was it the right decision to scrap it? Does London - a city with 7 million inhabitants and 7 million trees - need to build a bridge, in order to plant roghly 200 more at £1m each?

Should the architect of Britain's austerity - George Osborne - have granted £30m of taxpayers' money to a project which will have £3m a year on-going costs, for ever? Have we, as Londoners, had a good deal from Boris Johnson's commitment, which has cost us £46m and, in return, we've got... well, what? Anything?

And, most importantly, will Boris, or anyone else, have to face charges for what seems to be a monumental waste of money, "chumocracy" of the worst kind, a flawed procurement process and walking away from the farce, leaving others to deal with the mess (an accusation for which Johnson has a great deal of familiarity)?

One thing is for sure: we really should expect London's evening newspaper to be all over this, holding Boris Johnson and George Osborne to account.

Comments

• Another example of Boris seeing a transport system as a tourist attraction, rather than something that should provide benefit for the general population of London.

See also his bloated, uneconomic 'routemaster'
  • We don't need a garden bridge there enough parks. We need that road bridge from Thamesmead to Beckton to take the pressure of Blackwall and Dartford. There was a broken down bus in the northbound Blackwall tunnel the other day and when you have something like that it affects the road from Charlton into Woolwich, the roads round Woolwich common, the road to Woolwich ferry and the area round the QE. Terrible idea by Boris to scrap the road bridge.

The suggestion of charging road users to cross the river at every point in East London whilst the garden bridge was going ahead really got my goat
  • A totally ludicrous vanity project - utter waste of money - plenty of crossings over the river in that area - another example of the so called 'elite' spending the 'man on the street's' money for some twat to make a name for themselves on the back of the public purse

So, what you saying?
  • It seems to me that political parties, politicians, mayors, el al all want a vanity project to be remembered for. Be it a bus, a bike/lane, airport etc they all need reining in when it comes to spending other people's money.

You forgot the ultimate vanity project - a Thames cable car to nowhere
    The Greenwich Tent
  • Sponsored links:

• A totally ludicrous vanity project - utter waste of money - plenty of crossings over the river in that area - another example of the so called 'elite' spending the 'man on the street's' money for some twat to make a name for themselves on the back of the public purse

So, what you saying?

A totally ludicrous vanity project - utter waste of money - plenty of crossings over the river in that area - another example of the so called 'elite' spending the 'man on the street's' money for some twat to make a name for themselves on the back of the public purse

So, what you saying?
    Errrr I think I was pretty clear on my view - not sure what you mean ?
  • I went to a talk a few weeks back given by one of the companies who have already invested heavily in this.

One of the other reasons this won't go ahead, is because there is a major infrastructure project on the go in the 'super sewer' currently being built to serve London and the South.

It will have a major impact around the area of the 'Garden Bridge' and will take precedence over it. A lot of preparatory work has already been completed along the river front on the north side of the Thames and will not be delayed while the faffing continues over this bridge.

I don't think it's fair to point the finger at Khan completely, the politics over this have rankled on for some time, and IMO there have been a lot of delaying tactics by some parties knowing the sewer project will not be held up.

A lot of money has been lost on this by some.

• It seems to me that political parties, politicians, mayors, el al all want a vanity project to be remembered for. Be it a bus, a bike/lane, airport etc they all need reining in when it comes to spending other people's money.

Sponsored by Emirates completely irrelevant. The Millennium done on the other hand...
  • Worst name for a football team ever.

So, what you saying?

A totally ludicrous vanity project - utter waste of money - plenty of crossings over the river in that area - another example of the so called 'elite' spending the 'man on the street's' money for some twat to make a name for themselves on the back of the public purse

So, what you saying?
    Just joking mate, sorry

So, what you saying?

So, what you saying?
    Just joking mate, sorry
    No probs - on reflection I think I get your comment - been on a long lunch and had a few glasses of red
  • Another example of Boris seeing a transport system as a tourist attraction, rather than something that should provide benefit for the general population of London.

I hope you're not suggesting there is some kind of serial incompetence with regards to Boris Johnson and wasting money on transport issues in London, are you @Hovi's Biscuit? The new routemaster may well have been another one of his financial cock ups, but surely there's no connection between that and the Garden Bridge. Is there?

I mean, he held a competition amongst three firms of architects to decide which one to grant the bridge project to. Then, once the competition was complete, the contract was awarded to Thomas Heatherwick. Who's he? The man Boris chose to design the new routemaster.

So, what you saying?

So, what you saying?
    He was being sarcastic.
  • Chizz said:

Another example of Boris seeing a transport system as a tourist attraction, rather than something that should provide benefit for the general population of London.

I hope you're not suggesting there is some kind of serial incompetence with regards to Boris Johnson and wasting money on transport issues in London, are you @Hovi's Biscuit? The new routemaster may well have been another one of his financial cock ups, but surely there's no connection between that and the Garden Bridge. Is there?

I mean, he held a competition amongst three firms of architects to decide which one to grant the bridge project to. Then, once the competition was complete, the contract was awarded to Thomas Heatherwick. Who's he? The man Boris chose to design the new routemaster.
    I wonder if there's any connection between the Boris and this Heatherwick person? Anybody been reading Private Eye lately?
  • Sponsored links:

• Chizz said:

Another example of Boris seeing a transport system as a tourist attraction, rather than something that should provide benefit for the general population of London.

That's a bit harsh. Perhaps Heatherwick actually is the trendiest designer of needless tat right now new Leonardo Da Vinci?

I think his record speaks for itself

So, what you saying?

So, what you saying?
    He was being sarcastic.
    Yes - I have already apologised for missing that - thank you though

Sponsored by Emirates completely irrelevant. The Millennium done on the other hand...
    Not really, they have plaques in the cars stating that it was EU funded

So, what you saying?

So, what you saying?
    Whoosh.
  • The OS guys who are closer to London politics than I am, assure me that Johnson has more to fear from this than the Olympic Stadium deal. They say the talk is of serious corruption. Of course if we can pile the OS thing on top of it, he will be under even more pressure.

Johnson's achilles heel is that he is not a details man. The devil, however, is in the detail.

I believe we (Londoners) can take him down.
  • Sorry but why £3m ongoing costs forever? Who gets it? Why?
  • Very angry about this. The budgets of Local Authority-maintained parks and gardens have been slashed in recent years and, amidst this, some see fit to champion a bridge - for the benefit of tourists - that would cost millions of pounds. Joanna Lumley was a leading proponent, wasn't she?
    So, what happens now? Private business to proceed without the public money? I doubt it. Litigation over who said what, who signed what? And Boris Johnson. Again. Fares up throughout his time as Mayor. And the commitment of public money to something that the public was not properly consulted about.
    Better, say I, that the money went into the upkeep of local parks and gardens. Another modern-day farce.

Thames Central Open Spaces [website of opposition to the bridge. Requires updating as of 28 April] https://tcos.org.uk/
    abridgetoofar.co.uk/take-action/

Fully agree about local parks. But that doesn't give 'celebrity' status and media space so they wouldn't bother ...prats.
  • I am obviously alone here but I quite liked the idea of a garden bridge. Never really spent a lot of time researching it so don't know the "politics" but did get stopped on the Southbank once by a lady asking me to sign a petition against it.

I asked her why and she said it would cost a huge amount to tax payers for something that was not needed and then would be closed most evening to the public as they would hire it out to business for events. I thought it sounded like an infrastructure project that would employ people, add something different, and, over time, show a return from money made from all the evil business people renting it in the evening. I didn't sign the petition!
  • I am obviously alone here but I quite liked the idea of a garden bridge. Never really spent a lot of time researching it so don't know the "politics" but did get stopped on the Southbank once by a lady asking me to sign a petition against it.

I asked her why and she said it would cost a huge amount to tax payers for something that was not needed and then would be closed most evening to the public as they would hire it out to business for events. I thought it sounded like an infrastructure project that would employ people, add something different, and, over time, show a return from money made from all the evil business people renting it in the evening. I didn't sign the petition!

That is fair enough. It sounds like a beautiful enhancement to London's public spaces. But, having said that, it has to be affordable. So, what cost (ball-park) would you think it's worth?