Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Olympic Stadium; our day in court

Comments

• Options

Story in 'sports management magazine' , and one on sky...
    http://news.sky.com/story/boris-johnson-to-face-olympic-stadium-cost-questions-10735182

By Paul Kelso, Sports Correspondent

Boris Johnson will be asked to justify his management of London's Olympic Stadium as part of an in-depth investigation into the "skyrocketing" costs of converting the arena for West Ham United.

The investigation, commissioned by Mr Johnson's successor as London Mayor Sadiq Khan, was launched after Sky News revealed that the bill for transforming the stadium has risen by £50m more than previously announced.

The costs include an estimated £8m every year to move supposedly retractable seats, installed to bring football fans closer to the action, off the track to allow athletics every summer.

The bill for conversion has risen from £272m to £323m, and the total cost of the stadium to £752m.

I hope he gets a proper professional interogation -he is a slimy so and so and he will blame the bid when the detail should hang him.

I'd like to know why the Spurs bid wasn't selected. I think this needs answering as it is where I think corruption took place. A bid that involved them paying for a state of the art British athletics stadium, when we currently don't have one!

Hi Muttley

The trouble with the Spurs bid is that nobody, including the Spurs Trust, is sure that Levy was serious. However there isa much more interesting story which i only learnt recently from Steve Lawrence, the architect who worked on the original scheme.

That scheme had the Park on a slightly different site, (but still Stratford) and the Stadium would have been a BOOT deal whereby McAlpine would have both built and operated it, thus zero cost to the taxpayer. Although it probably needed West Ham and Spurs to share it. Richard Rogers wrote to Tony Blair trying to get his endorsement. Steve doesn't have any record that Blair even replied.

McAlpine in the end were paid handsomely by the State to build the current stadium...

I heard that McAlpine would have also refurbished Crystal Palace athletics stadium as part of the deal, at no extra cost too
  • Options
    I see WHU under 23's played at the OS earlier this week, was that included in the contract or did WHU pay for an extra day? Got a feeling it's tax payer funded.
  • Options
    Dansk_Red said:

I see WHU under 23's played at the OS earlier this week, was that included in the contract or did WHU pay for an extra day? Got a feeling it's tax payer funded.

Probably gave Newham 20,000 free tickets for the £45M.
  • Options
    Dansk_Red said:

20.17 The Concessionaire shall pay the Grantor"s Operating Costs for any:
    . (a) Friendly Matches; 

. (b) Youth Matches; and 

. (c) Pre-Season Tournaments, 

• Options

Dansk_Red said:

20.17 The Concessionaire shall pay the Grantor"s Operating Costs for any:
    . (a) Friendly Matches; 

. (b) Youth Matches; and 

. (c) Pre-Season Tournaments, 

Plus some wriggle room.

20.18 If there is a dispute in relation to any amount payable, the Concessionaire shall pay the amount not in dispute, and any further amount due (if any) shall be paid within five Business Days of agreement or determination of the amount due in accordance with Clause 50 (Expert Determination)
  • Options

London Assembly member Andrew Dismore told the BBC “It’s this ridiculous sweet heart deal they have got already when no matter how many police officers are called to deal with a West Ham game they simply pay the same. If you think about the last West Ham v Chelsea game, they had 520 police officers on duty, that’s equivalent of an entire London borough both on and off duty. That can’t be right!”

totally ridiculous and unacceptable
  • Options
    edited March 2017
    Take it up the harris UK tax payer!

Chim chimney chim chimney....
  • Options
    We've won Stadium of the Year! A pat on the back for everyone ...... Proving you pay tax.
  • Options
    edited April 2017
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/2017/04/04/vodafone-talks-rename-west-hams-stadium-east-london/

Under its lease to use London Stadium, the club is entitled to 40pc of E20 Stadium’s naming rights revenue over £4m per year. If West Ham are relegated from the Premier League its share will drop to 35pc
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/2017/04/04/vodafone-talks-rename-west-hams-stadium-east-london/

Under its lease to use London Stadium, the club is entitled to 40pc of E20 Stadium’s naming rights revenue over £4m per year. If West Ham are relegated from the Premier League its share will drop to 35pc

I would be a bit wary of that Telegraph report. All other outlets have reported £20m over 6 years, and I don't think that West Ham get as much as 40%, but I will check that when I get the chance.

If it is £20m for 6 years, there is a serious problem as they have 4.5m pa written into their budget, wherea sthis would average only £3.3m. And then there is the unresolved matter of the £8m per year to take out and put back the seats. Who will make up the shortfall? Altogether now:"Y....

The latest on the campaign is that we are pushing for a personal meeting with the company charged by the Mayor with the investigation, which was recently announced as Moore Stephens. They are a sober decent 2nd division accountancy outfit, a division cheaper than Deloittes, PwC etc, whom you pay for on behalf of the LLDC. If they talk to us we will save them a lot of fee hours by leading them straight to the key financial issues.

• Options

I would be a bit wary of that Telegraph report. All other outlets have reported £20m over 6 years, and I don't think that West Ham get as much as 40%, but I will check that when I get the chance.

If it is £20m for 6 years, there is a serious problem as they have 4.5m pa written into their budget, wherea sthis would average only £3.3m. And then there is the unresolved matter of the £8m per year to take out and put back the seats. Who will make up the shortfall? Altogether now:"Y....

The latest on the campaign is that we are pushing for a personal meeting with the company charged by the Mayor with the investigation, which was recently announced as Moore Stephens. They are a sober decent 2nd division accountancy outfit, a division cheaper than Deloittes, PwC etc, whom you pay for on behalf of the LLDC. If they talk to us we will save them a lot of fee hours by leading them straight to the key financial issues.

It would be a scandal if they don't talk to you!

• Options
    Well, I am frankly amazed!

• Options

Well worth the read.
  • Options
    How many will this get?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited May 2017
    West Ham are actually costing tax payers money as we and everybody is are discovering they are full of hooligans and corrupt tax dodgers. Maybe we can kick them out! Have they knocked Upton Park down yet?
  • Options
    It's a shame of course but Wet Spam will always have a gig as a Millwall impersonator, especially if the Spanners kick off at the play off final!
  • Options

And the was me thinking your were Soapy Jones...
  • Options

West Ham are actually costing tax payers money as we and everybody is are discovering they are full of hooligans and corrupt tax dodgers. Maybe we can kick them out! Have they knocked Upton Park down yet?

No going back now.
    They can put a 3G on that!
  • Options
    The quicker they build the new west exit from Stratford station the better it will be. It will mean access will be via Carpenters Road and not through the shopping centre.
  • Options
    Crusty54 said:

The quicker they build the new west exit from Stratford station the better it will be. It will mean access will be via Carpenters Road and not through the shopping centre.

I'll ask, who's paying for it?
  • Options

No going back now.
    Despite what you think of West Ham (& I don't think a lot) it's heartbreaking to see a traditional, famous old ground like that.
    Especially as it's one of our former grounds, albeit very different when we were there