Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

My Internet Service Provider........

(Or rather someone claiming to be from my Internet Service Provider) has phoned me 4 times already today! This is a record. I always simply tell them to fuck off and put the phone down so I don't really know what scam they are trying to pull. Does anyone know? Anyone else suffering a sudden increase in these calls?

Comments

• Ask them who the ISP is. The usual reply is "Erm.....BT?"
  • I get one about every three months - always from the far east (or sounds like it), and difficult to hear. Offering me something I don't want or need. I usually say I'm busy and ask them to call back another time when the phone will be off!
  • edited April 2017
    I kept getting calls from an 0207 number that I didn't know. I blocked it but that just meant I got blank voicemails from an 0207 number that I didn't know. Eventually I had to unblock it just to answer it and speak to some dodgy foreigner claiming to be from my ISP and offering me a special deal for being such a valued customer. I told them that I wasn't interested, never would be interested and wanted them to remove my number from any list they have obtained. Amazingly this seems to have worked!
  • Phone jacker was one of my favourite shows when I was in school
  • (Or rather someone claiming to be from my Internet Service Provider) has phoned me 4 times already today! This is a record. I always simply tell them to fuck off and put the phone down so I don't really know what scam they are trying to pull. Does anyone know? Anyone else suffering a sudden increase in these calls?

Probably your credit card details. I answered one a few months ago, and I'm still waiting my $53m dollars the General in Nigeria promised me.

• I miss fonejacker, was a quality show.
  • On topic though, I've had an increase in nuisance calls - not specifically scams relating to my ISP though.

On my mobile I have the same dreary girl ringing me once a week to ask me about any accidents I've been in, and a quick "Why haven't you deleted my number yet, babes?" gets her to hang up.

More frustratingly though, since the missus has began a new course we've began to get calls on our landline. We found out that the University had sold her details to a Recruiting Agency, which in itself was quite disgusting as her employer (LEA) was paying for her course. About 3 days after both the university and agency had been contacted by the LEA, we began receiving nuisance calls from India - clearly the agency had just sold the details on to an overseas call centre.

Have you given your number out to any new places recently?
  • Sponsored links:

• LuckyReds said:

On topic though, I've had an increase in nuisance calls - not specifically scams relating to my ISP though.

On my mobile I have the same dreary girl ringing me once a week to ask me about any accidents I've been in, and a quick "Why haven't you deleted my number yet, babes?" gets her to hang up.

More frustratingly though, since the missus has began a new course we've began to get calls on our landline. We found out that the University had sold her details to a Recruiting Agency, which in itself was quite disgusting as her employer (LEA) was paying for her course. About 3 days after both the university and agency had been contacted by the LEA, we began receiving nuisance calls from India - clearly the agency had just sold the details on to an overseas call centre.

No. And I get the 'we see you have been in an accident' and PPI calls 4 or 5 times a month on my mobile. I have been getting at least one call from these ISP people on my landline every day for the last week. And today they seem to be calling every hour!
  • Phone jacker was one of my favourite shows when I was in school

No wonder the education system is in trouble if the kids are watching TV programs at school.

;-)
  • edited April 2017
    On a more serious note I had loads of these calls from my ISP and I refused to go through security with them, then I received a letter from BT and it was them calling all along.
  • Download ~Truecaller on your mobile - spam calls happen very rarely now for me.
  • LuckyReds said:

I miss fonejacker, was a quality show.
    Used to love the stupid pictures they'd flash on screen to match the contents of the phone call.
  • LuckyReds said:

On topic though, I've had an increase in nuisance calls - not specifically scams relating to my ISP though.

No. And I get the 'we see you have been in an accident' and PPI calls 4 or 5 times a month on my mobile. I have been getting at least one call from these ISP people on my landline every day for the last week. And today they seem to be calling every hour!
    You're lucky - I usually get them 1 or 2 times a week !! I was involved in a minor "bump" almost 4 years ago - the other person's insurer paid for it all, even my excess. No injuries to me or my passengers (my kids) so no to claim for anything else. But still the calls come." we see you haven't claimed" etc etc. One time I asked whether the accident in question was the one that killed my wife & kids - they ended the call pretty quickly & the last one I asked whether they could tell me what accident they were referring to, as they must know about it if they are calling me - they hung up straight away.

....amd don't get me started on PPI calls !!!
  • ... was EE/Orange/whateverthey'recallingthemselvesthisweek and I'd have been delighted if they were efficient or attentive enough to call me, ever. Bunch of crooks masquerading as an organisational shower of shit, hoping I'd get fed up with their prevarication and obfuscation and give up trying to get back the money they owed me, wankers. I didn't and they did, most of it, eventually. These scam calling parasites are actually a more respectable form of life than the so called genuine big business utility providers. At least you know you're being taken for a mug and ripped off by the scammers, EE do much the same thing but with a smoke screen of being something legitimate.
  • (Or rather someone claiming to be from my Internet Service Provider) has phoned me 4 times already today! This is a record. I always simply tell them to fuck off and put the phone down so I don't really know what scam they are trying to pull. Does anyone know? Anyone else suffering a sudden increase in these calls?

I suffered a spate of calls in the past that were purportedly from an IT company who were ‘worried’ about my system running slow, and if I was near to my PC?

They are in fact after remote access to your computer so they can either rip off security information or install malware after you visit the website they recommend.

I became very proficient at answering these calls and asked them a series of questions like, How do you sleep at night, is your mother proud of you, and will your God forgive you? Normally a delayed silence before the caller hangs up.

Incidentally call centres can program any number to appear on your caller display unit. This means a prestige 020 7 number may be used to give authenticity to a call that in reality is being generated from abroad. I’ve actually had 0123456789 appear and even worse my own phone number. These people will try any trick to get you to pick up.
  • I try to play along for as long as I can bear. My thinking is that if they're on the phone to me then that's less time they've got to try to con someone else. Plus it really pisses them off when they realise all their efforts were for nothing.

Is your internet provider Virgin media ?
  • Sponsored links:

• edited April 2017

(Or rather someone claiming to be from my Internet Service Provider) has phoned me 4 times already today! This is a record. I always simply tell them to fuck off and put the phone down so I don't really know what scam they are trying to pull. Does anyone know? Anyone else suffering a sudden increase in these calls?

I suffered a spate of calls in the past that were purportedly from an IT company who were ‘worried’ about my system running slow, and if I was near to my PC?

They are in fact after remote access to your computer so they can either rip off security information or install malware after you visit the website they recommend.

I became very proficient at answering these calls and asked them a series of questions like, How do you sleep at night, is your mother proud of you, and will your God forgive you? Normally a delayed silence before the caller hangs up.

Incidentally call centres can program any number to appear on your caller display unit. This means a prestige 020 7 number may be used to give authenticity to a call that in reality is being generated from abroad. I’ve actually had 0123456789 appear and even worse my own phone number. These people will try any trick to get you to pick up.
    Yes, this is the scam. I went along with it once to see what the scam was. I stopped when I realised they were trying for remote access.

Generally I just bang the phone down.

Lately, I keep getting called from the Savers Club.

http://who-called.co.uk/Number/002079460172.

No. BT.
  • cafcfan said:

No. BT.
    The ISP thing or slow router stuff is just a smokescreen for the actual scam. This is usually the one that asks you to open up the run dialogue box by hitting the windows logo key and R together. They then ask you to type eventvwr. This opens up the windows event viewer. Next, you are told to click “OK,” then “Custom Views,” then “Administrative Events,” which brings up an alarming sight. (You can do it at your leisure if you like, it's entirely harmless. You'll see thousands of entries all with error messages going back years.)
    It means nothing but an alarmed punter will be told it shows all the malware on their machine. They'll be told not to worry and that they can pay to buy software to wipe all the viruses. This "software" will either do nothing whatsoever at all or worse install viruses/malware on your machine. And you've handed over your bank card details.
    I think also there is a way they can ask you to hand over remote access to your machine. This too, obviously, is a very dangerous thing to do.

I always try to have fun with these little bastards and keep them hanging on for as long as possible. My record so far is 55 mins. Say your door bell has rung, ask them to hold on and go and make a cup of tea and they'll still be there when you get back. Pretend to go through with their instructions and tell them nothing seems to be happening. Eventually tell them you don't use windows but are on Linux - would that matter? Recently, I've been muttering gibberish at them and then tell them I'm a warlock and have just put a curse on them which means they will fall ill if they don't eat beef. Sometimes I explain they've come through to the Garden Gnome Sales hotline number (they don't know what a garden gnome is) and ask them how many they want and in what colours and ask them for their credit card details and the delivery address. The options are endless. I told one the other day that I had been decapitated in an accident and it really hurt so they'd have to speak really slowly. Enjoy.
    Brilliant