Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Why is League 1 and 2 finishing so early this season?

1 game left yet some Premiership clubs still have 6 or 7 games to go?

Comments

• the football league took pity on the Charlton players having to listen to Jimmy Tarbuck.

Not sure about league 2 though.
  • I presume it was a deliberate decision to phase the timing of the end of season. There are still the playoffs anyway
  • league 2 have 2 games left

i think league 1 may be a week earlier is because the schedule at wembley is;

20th may league 1 playoff final

27th may fa cup final
    28th may league 2 playoff final
    29th may championship playoff final
  • The playoff finals aren't back to back days this year either. There's about a week inbetween, so I imagine the early finish allows semi-finals to be played out over a longer period.
  • The playoff finals aren't back to back days this year either. There's about a week inbetween, so I imagine the early finish allows semi-finals to be played out over a longer period.

They're back to back next year though I think, no idea why they've changed it this year.
  • Watch the stars of the future, obviously.
  • I thought it was just to put us out of our misery early for a change. So we can just get on with our lives and forget about this awful season as soon as possible.
  • I think the PL and Championship started later due to the Euros plus the international breaks.
  • Sponsored links:

• Players don't earn much. This gives them the opportunity of taking their kids out of school and benefiting from cheaper off-peak holidays?
  • cafcfan said:

Players don't earn much. This gives them the opportunity of taking their kids out of school and benefiting from cheaper off-peak holidays?

Nah, that's not it - three of them are starting on painting the outside of my house day after last game. ;-)
  • Macronate said:

Katy's holiday plane departs on the 1st May.

You sure it's not 29 April?
  • Dansk_Red said:

I think the PL and Championship started later due to the Euros plus the international breaks.

Pretty sure this is it.
  • Saga Lout said:

cafcfan said:

Players don't earn much. This gives them the opportunity of taking their kids out of school and benefiting from cheaper off-peak holidays?

Nah, that's not it - three of them are starting on painting the outside of my house day after last game. ;-)

Dansk_Red said:

I think the PL and Championship started later due to the Euros plus the international breaks.

Pretty sure this is it.
    Nah the whole of the Football League started on 6th August... Premier League did start later but the Championship did start the same weekend as League One and League Two
  • but championship also have obligatory international breaks where as we just take them when we feel like it.
  • why? .. to save us all further punishment
  • The L1 season is finishing early as I'm doing a Masters and my exams are in May

For a similar reason, Karl made sure we missed out on the playoffs so that I wouldn't be distracted
  • The L1 season is finishing early as I'm doing a Masters and my exams are in May

For a similar reason, Karl made sure we missed out on the playoffs so that I wouldn't be distracted

This for me too. I was worried earlier in the season that I'd have to make it down to Wembley. Thankfully they appointed Karl Robinson.
  • Leuth said:

So it doesn't mess with my cricket season obv

Hear hear. Let's see where we stand on that when the new League One season kicks off in July.
  • Sponsored links:

• Not sure about league 2
    But the wife's wants the garden landscaped by the end of may
  • edited April 2017
    Leuth said:

Wicket keeper @Leuth or is it just the big ball you try and catch :wink: .
  • So that every club has plenty of chance to modernise its dugouts
  • RedChaser said:

Leuth said:

Trying to be a bowling all-rounder this year, which means I'll inevitably be forced to keep wicket
  • Leuth said:

RedChaser said:

Leuth said:

Trying to be a bowling all-rounder this year, which means I'll inevitably be forced to keep wicket
    When the bowlers are getting smashed to the boundary just make eye contact with the skipper and give him the old windmill arms routine, you'll be on in no time :wink: .
  • RedChaser said:

Leuth said:

RedChaser said:

Leuth said:

When the bowlers are getting smashed to the boundary just make eye contact with the skipper and give him the old windmill arms routine, you'll be on in no time :wink: .
    Don't fall for that old trick @PaddyP17
  • The Cup Final is being played on 27 May this year, meaning only two Play-Off Finals can be staged that weekend. The EFL want the Championship game to be played on Bank Holiday Monday, so either the L1 or L2 Final had to be moved. The EFL thought the L1 Final warranted the stand alone weekend.

The situation could have become more complicated had Fulham got to the Cup Final, theoretically they would have had to play on Saturday & Monday! However, there are no events at Wembley on Bank Holiday Monday week, so the Play-Off Final would have been pushed back by 2 or 3 days.
  • Ketts said:

The Cup Final is being played on 27 May this year, meaning only two Play-Off Finals can be staged that weekend. The EFL want the Championship game to be played on Bank Holiday Monday, so either the L1 or L2 Final had to be moved. The EFL thought the L1 Final warranted the stand alone weekend.

The situation could have become more complicated had Fulham got to the Cup Final, theoretically they would have had to play on Saturday & Monday! However, there are no events at Wembley on Bank Holiday Monday week, so the Play-Off Final would have been pushed back by 2 or 3 days.

Thanks, Chris.
  • Cos we've run out of games to play! :-(
  • What ashame this season is ending early. :smiley: