Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Bali......

Anybody been, got any tips?

Looking to go at the end of June or beginning of July.

Comments

• Jealous. Lots
  • Lost my best friend there, but it is, nevertheless, brilliant.
    Kuta Beach if Aussie ladies are your thing....
  • Jealous. Lots

Your turn will come when the kids have left home and you have disposable income.

#richoldgit
  • Lovely place, although was a few years ago that we went. We did 5 nights in the island of Lombok while we were there, it's an island about a 20 minute flight away. May have been built up more now but was unspoilt when we went. We were tempted to visit Komodo to see the dragons but were warned the accommodation was pretty rough and you weren't guaranteed to see them.
  • Jealous. Lots

Your turn will come when the kids have left home and you have disposable income.

#richoldgit
    Ha, will never happen but have a great time!
  • A long time ago mind you, but still the best place ive ever been on holiday.
  • Jealous. Lots

#richoldgit
    Ha, will never happen but have a great time!
    Need to get my "holiday bod" in shape so don't close down the let's get stoned thread :smile:
  • Poker going well @eaststandmike ?
    :):)
  • Yep, stayed in the Grand Mirage in Nusa Dua http://www.grandmirage.com lovely place. If you want collecting from the airport and a driver for day #Gordyn Angel on fb is your man or drop me a line I'll put you in touch. They love a barter but don't over do it, 500,000 rupiah was about a fiver to those guys a weeks wages,I saw some people negotiate over an orange at the side of the road about 2p. Plenty of snide shops or people selling snide gear, but they don't make out it's real, I bought 3 Rolex watches for less than a fiver, lovely people, fantastic country, beautiful weather, loads of Aussies. There is a Bali fb page, with the exception of your flights everything can be sorted on there direct, I didn't know that until I'd paid Hayes & Jarvis 3.5k instead of maybe 2.5. Just shout if there's anything I can help with..... we hope to get back there soon.
  • Personally I think there are far
    Better places in Asia. Overrated in my opinion.

However I will be there in October for 4 days at a conference, mainly on the golf courses
  • Sponsored links:

• Personally I think there are far
    Better places in Asia. Overrated in my opinion.

However I will be there in October for 4 days at a conference, mainly on the golf courses

I agree. Perhaps it was the level of expectation but I was really quite disappointed with Bali. Even the beaches didn't seem all that. As you say IMO there are better places to go. The aforementioned Lombok being one of them.
  • Lovely place, although was a few years ago that we went. We did 5 nights in the island of Lombok while we were there, it's an island about a 20 minute flight away. May have been built up more now but was unspoilt and then I turned up. We were tempted to visit Komodo to see the dragons but were warned the accommodation was pretty rough and you weren't guaranteed to see them.

• My first time to Indonesia this coming May, working in Jakarta. I'm looking forward to seeing the difference between other areas in South East Asia that I've worked and lived in - Philippines, Singapore and Malaysia. I was only looking yesterday at costs etc. as I was trying to get my head around their currency!! 1 rupiah is equal to (at yesterdays rates) £0.000059p, or in other words 100,000 rupiah = £5.87!!! Think I'm gonna be a rupiah millionaire while I'm out there, as a bottle of imported beer is about £2.60 or the local beer is £1.76 a pint and a 3 course meal for 2 in a classy restaurant is 150,000 rupiah or £8.80.
    When I get back I'll post my thoughts on the place.
  • Visit Ubud (if you get the chance stay a few nights there).
  • Wonderful place, plenty to see but the traffic these days is manic. Allow plenty of time for visits.

I recommend Ubud, lots of traditional stuff and some great art galleries.

Tanah Lot to see an impressive Hindu temple by the sea.

Go around the Batur area for plenty of stunning volcanic scenery.

The Uluwatu Temple high on a hill is well worth visiting.

And for a laid-back visit with plenty of good scenery, try the coffee plantation at Bali Pulina.
  • Lovely place, although was a few years ago that we went. We did 5 nights in the island of Lombok while we were there, it's an island about a 20 minute flight away. May have been built up more now but was unspoilt when we went. We were tempted to visit Komodo to see the dragons but were warned the accommodation was pretty rough and you weren't guaranteed to see them.

Going to Lombok next month, will be interesting to see how it is now.
  • I went to Lombok in 1994 as a penniless backpacker. I hear it's improved vastly thankfully. Tho it was unspoilt and lovely. Transport was donkey and cart.. not sure it that's changed.

Also recommend Ubud. But again way back when.
  • stonemuse said:

Lovely place, although was a few years ago that we went. We did 5 nights in the island of Lombok while we were there, it's an island about a 20 minute flight away. May have been built up more now but was unspoilt when we went. We were tempted to visit Komodo to see the dragons but were warned the accommodation was pretty rough and you weren't guaranteed to see them.

Going to Lombok next month, will be interesting to see how it is now.
    We stayed at the Sheraton in Senggigi, which was pretty decent. Did a day trip around the island in a 4x4 with driver and guide which was good. If you're planning to do something similar, make sure you include a trip to the Senaru waterfall, which is beautiful and you're able to swim underneath it.
  • I lived in Bali for just over a year. The best of Bali is off the beaten track.

If you want party Kuta is def worth a visit. But beware, its an Ibiza for Aussies. The quieter bars are on the south end of legian street.

Some beautiful sights inland. Take a drive north to the mountains/Volcanoes. Beaches in the north have black sand and a good photo op

Nyang Nyang beach is def worth a look. some stunning views there.

Kutuh beach if you can get someone to take you there. You have to drive out a bit from Kuta but the only way you can get to it is through an abandoned quarry. The locals have started carving statues into the rock faces its a bit out there getting down but once through its a really chilled out place. There were never any tourists when i was there. There was always a guy selling amazing satay chicken on the beach (Satay chicken is a big thing around Bali. Don't get it in a restaurant. You will see locals cooking on a tray bbq with a electric fan attached to it on the side of the road. Try it)

Usual tourist stuff like Ubud and the monkey forrest (keep hold of all you items, the monkeys are very light fingered)

if you are into your sea food then a ride to the fish market in Jimbaran is a good little trip. Buy what ever you want there and the restaurants on the beach will cook it for you. Crab and Lobster is very very cheap.

Trip out to the gili islands are worth a look. Can get transfers easily from the port, or a tourist trip organised by any hotel.

If you are hiring a motorbike follow all the rules, helmet etc. The cops are so corrupt there its untrue. They will get money out of you anyway they can so always carry drivers license around with you as its one of their biggest earners
  • I hated it; rained a hell of a lot and the beaches are very average (narrow mainly). Prepare to be chased down the road by guys trying to sell you stuff for a dollar. Do not get ripped off by the money changers - make sure they hand over all the notes and don't drop any when you aren't looking (this happened five times to us before we found one who gave us all the going rate...). It may have changed a bit in the last twenty years, but I much prefer other places in SE Asia.
  • Sponsored links:

• Did 10 days there few weeks back. Stayed in Kuta, was a bit of a ball ache to be honest. Beach was filthy and you can't go 5 seconds without being hassled by someone. Full of bogan Aussies too.

Semiyak up the road was nicer.

We paid a taxi driver about 40 quid to take us round the whole island and see sights for the whole day, which was decent.

You will pretty much drink Bintang the whole time you are there. Think theyre like a pound a bottle.
  • edited April 2017

My first time to Indonesia this coming May, working in Jakarta. I'm looking forward to seeing the difference between other areas in South East Asia that I've worked and lived in - Philippines, Singapore and Malaysia. I was only looking yesterday at costs etc. as I was trying to get my head around their currency!! 1 rupiah is equal to (at yesterdays rates) £0.000059p, or in other words 100,000 rupiah = £5.87!!! Think I'm gonna be a rupiah millionaire while I'm out there, as a bottle of imported beer is about £2.60 or the local beer is £1.76 a pint and a 3 course meal for 2 in a classy restaurant is 150,000 rupiah or £8.80.

Interesting place Jakarta but life for the average westerner is spoilt by the horrendous traffic problems and awful pollution........of all types.
    Average Indonesian would think nothing of, after having his tyres changed, setting fire to the old ones just to watch the jolly flickering flames and the spectacular thick black smoke engulfing the neighbourhood, all without a shred of concern for fellow residents or the environment.
    Get out at the weekends if possible!
  • My first time to Indonesia this coming May, working in Jakarta. I'm looking forward to seeing the difference between other areas in South East Asia that I've worked and lived in - Philippines, Singapore and Malaysia. I was only looking yesterday at costs etc. as I was trying to get my head around their currency!! 1 rupiah is equal to (at yesterdays rates) £0.000059p, or in other words 100,000 rupiah = £5.87!!! Think I'm gonna be a rupiah millionaire while I'm out there, as a bottle of imported beer is about £2.60 or the local beer is £1.76 a pint and a 3 course meal for 2 in a classy restaurant is 150,000 rupiah or £8.80.

I was in Jakarta a couple of weeks ago and the traffic is more of a nightmare than it ever was.

Also, if you are staying near a mosque, be prepared to woken up at about 4.15 am with the call for prayer. Unfortunately my hotel room was directly opposite one of the larger mosques so it was a regular occurrence.

All the countries you have visited so far are different and this is no exception.

Interesting place Jakarta but life for the average westerner is spoilt by the horrendous traffic problems and awful pollution........of all types.
    Average Indonesian would think nothing of, after having his tyres changed, setting fire to the old ones just to watch the jolly flickering flames and the spectacular thick black smoke engulfing the neighbourhood, all without a shred of concern for fellow residents or the environment.
    Get out at the weekends if possible!
    Thanks @SoundAsa£ , I can see the pollution playing havoc with my 'ticker'. Think I'll stay indoors, I'm working all the time I'm there in a Hotel and office block, so that may be a 'silver lining'!!
  • I was also there on 'silent day' or Hindu new year. Everything shut down for 24 hours,no one is allowed out in public. Nothing is open, all lights have to be off. Very surreal evening in the hotel.
  • Cheers @stonemuse I'm staying at the Shanghai-La hotel. To be fair it was the same in KL in Malaysia when the call for prayer went out and also Oman.
  • JT said:

Did 10 days there few weeks back. Stayed in Kuta, was a bit of a ball ache to be honest. Beach was filthy and you can't go 5 seconds without being hassled by someone. Full of bogan Aussies too.

We paid a taxi driver about 40 quid to take us round the whole island and see sights for the whole day, which was decent.

You will pretty much drink Bintang the whole time you are there. Think theyre like a pound a bottle.

Before drinking Bintang I advise you to read up on it on the net.......you may well change your mind!
    Although saying that, the health scares of a few years back may well have been resolved by now.
    It was regarding additives.
  • Cheers @stonemuse I'm staying at the Shanghai-La hotel. To be fair it was the same in KL in Malaysia when the call for prayer went out and also Oman.

That's where I stayed. Despite the early wake up, it's an excellent hotel.
  • Thanks for all your comments and feedback guys & girls, very helpful.
  • JT said:

Did 10 days there few weeks back. Stayed in Kuta, was a bit of a ball ache to be honest. Beach was filthy and you can't go 5 seconds without being hassled by someone. Full of bogan Aussies too.

Before drinking Bintang I advise you to read up on it on the net.......you may well change your mind!
    Although saying that, the health scares of a few years back may well have been resolved by now.
    It was regarding additives.
    I drank it by by the wagonload, it never done me no harm!! Lol ;)
    **********Its Bintang Time**********