Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Cover to Cover: Sweet Jane - Velvet Underground v The Cowboy Junkies

Listen to both versions without prejudice and decide which you prefer, The 1970 Velvet's original or the 1988 Cowboy Junkies cover

And NO third versions. I could have put in Lou's blistering live version or Mott's version but I didn't so get with the programme.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nkumhBVPGdg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x4XVJj4jER4

Comments

• two great and different versions and two classic albums.

it's a close one but for me Lou Reeds voice always gets me so it has to be Velvet.
  • The Velvets always.
  • VU - no competition. No comparison in my opinion.
    You'll be asking us to compare Susan Boyle's version of Wish you were here with Pink Floyd's next !!! :)
  • Cowboy Junkies? Hmm, not bad actually - I hadn't heard that before. But, no.
    Has to be Lou.

And sorry Henry but I dissent your no other versions rule.
    The "heavenly wine and roses" version was how Lou intended it before it was cut.
    Available on the "Fully Loaded" box set.
    Now, can I have a promote for, err, promoting it? :wink:
  • Like both versions but has to be the Velvet Underground for me.
    My favourite version is by Mott the Hoople but as we are not allowed I won't mention it, even though I have.
  • edited April 2017

Cowboy Junkies? Hmm, not bad actually - I hadn't heard that before. But, no.
    Has to be Lou.

And sorry Henry but I dissent your no other versions rule.
    The "heavenly wine and roses" version was how Lou intended it before it was cut.
    Available on the "Fully Loaded" box set.
    Now, can I have a promote for, err, promoting it? :wink:

No promote as I'm not admin but excellent "rock snob" points for knowing the full length version.
  • cafc-west said:

VU - no competition. No comparison in my opinion.
    You'll be asking us to compare Susan Boyle's version of Wish you were here with Pink Floyd's next !!! :)

Good idea!
  • Velvets walking this so far.

I'm a huge Lou fan but i love the Junkies version.
  • I prefer The Cowboy Junkies, but it's not really my thing, so not a great fan of either.
  • Sponsored links:

• This is a good one, cowboy junkies for me, sorry Lou
  • For me it's Lou all day long on this one and yes the live version on rocknroll animal is fab
  • I prefer The Cowboy Junkies, but it's not really my thing, so not a great fan of either.

With you on that CE, love a lot of the Junkies stuff but this one doesn't do a lot for me (either version, however ask me in 5 years as I dislike the Junkies version less than I used to :smile: )
  • I bought the trinity sessions on the recommendation of someone who had worked on one of their early tours. Hard to think that this is nearly 30 years ago. I loved Margo Timmins' voice especially on their cover of 'I'm so lonesome I could cry.

My vote goes to Cowboy Junkies
  • I've not heard this song before.

I much prefer the Velvet Underground version