Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Goalkeeper

Not seen this any where on here,but BBC New in Brief says David Martin is leaving MK Dons.As K.R said he is looking for a keeper for next season,is he coming to Charlton.

Comments

• Derek1952 said:

Not seen this any where on here,but BBC New in Brief says David Martin is leaving MK Dons.As K.R said he is looking for a keeper for next season,is he coming to Charlton.

I'll ask Alvin when I see him.
  • Dillon will be looking to go out on loan if he doesn't look like being #1 next season. 100%
  • It would be hilariously us if the one time we have a youth product that's actually ready to take over in the first team instead of being rushed in for budget reasons we brought a more experienced player in to push him down the pecking order.

Also, David Martin looks a little bit like Simon Church and that is really going to piss some people off
  • Swisdom said:

Dillon will be looking to go out on loan if he doesn't look like being #1 next season. 100%

I doubt either him or Rudd will be at the club at the start of the season
  • edited April 2017
    Steve Martin would be more in keeping with our comedy club.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited April 2017
    I could have sworn he'd already played for us.

31 years old, 250 appearances for M.K. Dons, knows the division and has been promoted out of it. The few times I've seen him he's looked a good shot-stopper. Experienced in the league and available on a free it seems. I don't know how this all of a sudden descended into "well Dillon will go then." It's hard to see us signing Rudd permanently so we will need an experienced goalkeeper. Dillon Phillips is 21. He's talented, no question, but remember what happened to Nick Pope when he was thrown in for long stretches without adequate cover when he was not quite ready?

It could also allow Mitov, Beeney, or maybe both to go out on loan.
  • I don't think, Phillips is ready for a regular first team spot, he might not ever be .. those who think that we can 'sell him off' for a profit are VERY optimistic, there would not be a long list of clubs looking to sign him .. he'll be a good stand by and see how he progresses through regular 'education' and second string games
  • I don't think, Phillips is ready for a regular first team spot, he might not ever be .. those who think that we can 'sell him off' for a profit are VERY optimistic, there would not be a long list of clubs looking to sign him .. he'll be a good stand by and see how he progresses through regular 'education' and second string games

don't need a long list, one Club would be enough. Cheltenham were willing to pay a fee.
  • I'd be happy for Martin to come in, give Philips the shirt and tell him its his to lose (or something that is a bit more motivational). If Martin does not like that then don't sign him.
  • The stats give Phillips an average of 6.73 from 8 games which included 3 MoMs, Rudd's average is 6.45 with 1 MoM
  • Rudds a good keeper & had an excellent game at Coventry. However, the ball bounces off his chest far too may times (watched his warms ups against the Gills & this happened a few times & then again during the match)
  • dickplumb said:

I don't think, Phillips is ready for a regular first team spot, he might not ever be .. those who think that we can 'sell him off' for a profit are VERY optimistic, there would not be a long list of clubs looking to sign him .. he'll be a good stand by and see how he progresses through regular 'education' and second string games

How much have you seen him? He didn't do much wrong when he played in the first team. He is a good solid character and a good solid goalkeeper that won't let anyone down.
    saw him around 5 times .. I am NOT stating that he is a bad keeper, just that he does not fill me with confidence and I got the idea that the defenders were always a little bit apprehensive with him in goal .. as I typed above, I'd be happy for him to be a number 2 and to learn and improve .. However, I would NOT be happy if he were to be our number one regular keeper for next season .. Rudd makes a few mistakes, what keeper at this level doesn't, BUT I'd be happier if he or another more experienced keeper were our number 1 next season
  • edited April 2017

It would be hilariously us if the one time we have a youth product that's actually ready to take over in the first team instead of being rushed in for budget reasons we brought a more experienced player in to push him down the pecking order.

Also, David Martin looks a little bit like Simon Church and that is really going to piss some people off

Not half as much as it would piss off Alvin Martin (who says that Simon Church never scores?)
  • Sponsored links:

• dickplumb said:

I have seen him for the U18s, U23s through to the first team. I am not calling you out Lincs but why are you judging him so harshly after seeing him play for five games. You say he didn't fill you with confidence, but other people who have seen him for the first team say he did little wrong. Rudd has made a number of mistakes but is a good keeper. Personally I would be pretty pissed off if we got rid of Phillips.

If we are looking for 2 goalies. I presume KR has a no1 lined up, hopefully not the MKD lad and Phillips won't be no 2 for another season.

PS I'm expecting KR to recruit as many MKD players as he can, which will probably be between 3-5.
  • dickplumb said:

I have seen him for the U18s, U23s through to the first team. I am not calling you out Lincs but why are you judging him so harshly after seeing him play for five games. You say he didn't fill you with confidence, but other people who have seen him for the first team say he did little wrong. Rudd has made a number of mistakes but is a good keeper. Personally I would be pretty pissed off if we got rid of Phillips.

it's all a matter of opinion .. mine is stated above ..
  • dickplumb said:

If we are looking for 2 goalies. I presume KR has a no1 lined up, hopefully not the MKD lad and Phillips won't be no 2 for another season.

PS I'm expecting KR to recruit as many MKD players as he can, which will probably be between 3-5.
    I'm half expecting the name change to MK Athletic or Charlton Dons too.

• KR has worked with this keeper before. It makes sense in him bringing in a player he trusts, you have to trust your keeper.
    I haven't seen much of Philips but if he's as good as you guys are saying then I'm sure he will get a chance somewhere along the line.
  • I don't understand why Phillips was dropped - if Rudd goes he deserves a starting position. He can't sit on the bench indefinitely.
    I thought he looked a lot more assured than Pope and will only get better with experience.
  • Phillips will be looking to move on loan if he is not starting next season and you can't blame him. He's been here since he was 7 years old and is happy here but he needs to be starting games now.

I agree he looked more assured than Pope but I guess we don't see him in training every day. Definitely harsh when he was dropped though. Really felt for him because I think he is one of those who will go on to have a decent career in the game. Hope it is with us.
  • His average is 6.73 with 3 MOTMs I think I read - in a poor season - that says all that needs saying.