Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

All along the watch tower.... Hendrix, Dylan or U2?

Man, they are all cracking. Just a great song. But for me Hendrix. Absolutely kills me his opening ... Discuss.

Comments

• XTC ...........
  • Hendrix all day long.
  • Hendrix by a country mile.

I'm fairly sure I've heard a Metallica version too which was very good...
  • CHG said:

Hendrix, close thread.

what he said.
  • Hendrix all day long.

This.
  • Sponsored links:

• Dylan (1978 live version)
  • The Beatles
  • Hendrix. Didn't Bob Dylan once say that he thought the Hendrix version was best?
  • Nadou said:

Dylan (1978 live version)

"From the Mojave Desert."
  • Hendrix
  • Hendrix though i do love the Dylan version. The solo pips it.

I can only assume U2 was put there for bantz
  • Remember buying this when there was a small record shop in Charlton Church Lane, I think at the time it claimed to be the first single stereo, issued on the track record label ( same as the who).
    Dave Mason, and Brian Jones played on the recording session of this, Brian on piano, but was not used for the official release. Of course I am going to say I prefer Jimi's version. Hendrix's biggest inspiration was Dylan, he recorded several of his songs. The live version at the Isle of wight is simply awesome.
  • Those three artists came up on my Spotify when I searched for the song . Wasn't aware of those other versions. I listened to the three of them in a row and they're all great.
  • 25May98 said:

Hendrix. Didn't Bob Dylan once say that he thought the Hendrix version was best?

Yes I think I heard that too.
  • Sponsored links:

• On an associated point ... What song most evokes the Vietnam War for you? All based on the movies I've watched I guess as I was born in 74 but for me it is this song or Paint it Black or whiter shade of pale.
  • Rare example of cover improving on the original. Hendrix's version is otherworldly.
  • On an associated point ... What song most evokes the Vietnam War for you? All based on the movies I've watched I guess as I was born in 74 but for me it is this song or Paint it Black or whiter shade of pale.

Always amuses me this. Vietnam war not fought to soundtrack of Hendrix or CCR.

Back to this really need to add the songs to the thread for it too work well.

Always amuses me this. Vietnam war not fought to soundtrack of Hendrix or CCR
    Beat me to it Henry.
    Hollywood seems intent on propagating some kind of myth that the GI's were some hip collective with ready access to psychedelic drugs and fighting to the soundtrack of the sixties.
    I expect most of them were scared young kids far from home and way out of their comfort zone, with a fair proportion of boneheaded anti-hippy rednecks to boot