Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

I'm running the London Marathon this Sunday.....

To anybody else that has trained for this - good luck. My training has been painful. I've had two knee injuries and currently a very tight hamstring. I did a 22 mile run three weeks ago as final prep and haven't been the same since! My hats off to anybody that puts themselves through this - I'm just aiming to complete it now - no time I'm aiming for due to the knees and hamstring.

Comments

• Good luck.
  • Good luck to everyone involved.
  • Good luck to everyone involved - Looks like its gonna be great weather for running on Sunday!!

After a 10-year absence I'm really getting back into running and hope to enter next years event.
  • Good luck all Addicks and everyone else attempting this, rather you than me.
  • Good luck. Did last year's and it was a brilliant day.
  • supaclive said:

To anybody else that has trained for this - good luck. My training has been painful. I've had two knee injuries and currently a very tight hamstring. I did a 22 mile run three weeks ago as final prep and haven't been the same since! My hats off to anybody that puts themselves through this - I'm just aiming to complete it now - no time I'm aiming for due to the knees and hamstring.

ouch, my ex became a marathon runner and ran with niggles a few times picked up in training. Unfortunately the 26 miles is a long way as you know and the niggles can progress into severe pain.

My only advice is to go to a good sports physio (I recommend most of the people at Vanbrugh group Practice on the Lower Road) at least twice before the race. It's well worth the cost.

• Hopefully they should be able to both loosen up your hamstring and either strap up your knees successfully or show you how to do it.
  • Good luck Several of my running mates from Dartford Harriers are running too. Good luck to all taking part. I just don't have the courage to take a run of that length on.
  • Sponsored links:

• All the best to you all. Should be a good day for it.
  • Good luck and don't forget to enjoy the day, you've earned it!
  • Madness, but I wish you the very best of luck SC!
  • My middle lad is running his first Marathon on Sunday, he has trained his arse of to get there, we are really proud of him, really looking forward to watching, we've worked out our viewing route.
    Best wishes for a good run Supaclive.
  • edited April 2017
    Well done everyone doing this. As said earlier start slow and go slower later if you're only interested in finishing.
    The crowds are so uplifting and the feeling at the finish line is so fantastic.
    And remember to get your name on your vest (on the front), it's so brilliant when people use your name whilst encouraging you.

Go supaclive!!!!
  • We use to stand at the bar in the Horse, drinking pints of Stella and eating bacon rolls, watching it on tbe telly, while it was going past the front door.

Never done me no harm
  • Good luck SuperClive.

Ask any friends / loved ones to cheer you on from Canary Warf. There's an amazing atmosphere there and I remember really needing the lift from my lot come that point.

Should get a glimpse of the Valley along Woolwich Road also - so enjoy.
  • supaclive said:

I ran the marathon in '98, nowadays I could not run a bath!

In my experience the easy part is Sunday, the hardest part is the training and the discipline.

You will complete this on Sunday feeling very proud with yourself on a fantastic achievement.

Congratulations in advance amigo.
  • supaclive said:

I ran the marathon in '98, nowadays I could not run a bath!

In my experience the easy part is Sunday, the hardest part is the training and the discipline.

You will complete this on Sunday feeling very proud with yourself on a fantastic achievement.

Congratulations in advance amigo.
    You couldn't even eat a marathon
  • Really hoping to make it over to Greenwich before 9ish to soak in the atmosphere.

Good luck to everyone running.
  • Sponsored links:

• Watching from the RoD in the morning cheering on a Charlton mate
  • @supaclive Very best of luck mate.

I'm doing it for the first time on Sunday and also had disrupted training. Think of the achievement of getting through training in the winter months and how much more you can do now.

I'm not worrying about time either and just enjoying the day.

You'll be elated when you finish. Have a great day - might see you on the way round
  • Had to withdraw through injury this week (actually confirmed it today) after all the hard yards. Would have been my first marathon.

Definitely feeling the pain everyone goes through training for it - so good luck!

Properly gutted and will be sickener to be the wrong side of the barriers, but there's always next year.
  • @Oh_Yoni_Boy I feel for you, that's really gutting. Hope you get a guaranteed place next year.
  • Good luck SuperClive.

Ask any friends / loved ones to cheer you on from Canary Warf. There's an amazing atmosphere there and I remember really needing the lift from my lot come that point.

Should get a glimpse of the Valley along Woolwich Road also - so enjoy.

Canary wharf!!!

I hate that building. No matter how far i ran, it was there,watching me.
    I couldn't get away from it!
  • edited April 2017
    Greenie said:

My middle lad is running his first Marathon on Sunday, he has trained his arse of to get there, we are really proud of him, really looking forward to watching, we've worked out our viewing route.
    Best wishes for a good run Supaclive.

Is that the arse with the Marvin Sordell tattoo or a different son?

Good luck anyway!

:wink:
  • Applied 3 times now to do this, never successful! So, if it hurts, bloody tough!! You deserve the pain.
  • Good luck, mate.

Got a lot of respect for anyone who takes the time to prepare for a marathon. I've enjoyed watching my brother run the Brighton one the last two years, made me appreciate just what an achievement it is!

I got caught up in the atmosphere there the week before last and considered it for next year, but nah - I think I'll pass! I may give a half a crack next year though - but even that seems a bit much.
  • Applied 3 times now to do this, never successful! So, if it hurts, bloody tough!! You deserve the pain.

It's something like an 8per cent chance of getting a place in the ballot, so if you really want to do it you're likely to need a charity place. They used to have a rule that if you were rejected 4 consecutive times you were guaranteed a place on the 5th application, but they had to stop this a few years back because of the number of applicants. Normally £2k pledge required by most charities but people do tend to be very generous for a Marathon..