Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Cover to Cover: Stevie Wonder v The Rolling Stones "I don't know why"

Two versions of the same song. Listen to both and vote on which one you prefer

This week Stevie Wonder's B side to My Cherrie Amour released in 1969 up against the 1969 cover by the Rolling Stones (supposedly recorded during the Let it Bleed session on the night Brian Jones died but not released until 1975).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yw-r-XhLhBU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x46cBLgtaTs

Comments

• Both good imo but the guitar work on the stones version nicks it for me, plants will getting a listen in the greenhouse today and they'll agree with me. 2 points.
  • Stevie Wonder

I have a feeling of Deja Vu! ;)
  • Stones - sounds like Mick Taylor on lead guitar.
  • If you're just listening to the vocal then Wonder, but musics so much more than that, The Stones version is far superior musically with more attitude, so the Dartford Boys all day long.
  • Stones for me.
  • edited April 2017
    I like The Stones a lot and I'm not all that keen on Stevie Wonder but I much prefer his version of the song - so much more 'soul'. Jagger is just faking it.
  • 4 - 3 to the Stones so far
  • Stevie Wonder
  • over all the stones recording is better musically

you just cant compare the 2 singers ..both icons in their own right
  • Sponsored links:

• Stevie all day long
  • Surprised the Stones did this. However think they pulled it off pretty well, particularly as it was just a studio demo version and would have been toned up for any proper release.
  • Stones - sounds like Mick Taylor on lead guitar.

Yes, it is Mick Taylor.
  • Stevie for me
  • Little Stevie pulling away in front now
  • Stevie all day long
  • Fully expected to prefer Stevie, but tbh I found myself listening to the glimmer twin gang version more, so the Stones get my vote.
  • Nadou said:

I like The Stones a lot and I'm not all that keen on Stevie Wonder but I much prefer his version of the song - so much more 'soul'. Jagger is just faking it.

Same for me. Despite the fact I tend to doze off half way through anything by "Soporific Stevie".
  • cafcfan said:

Nadou said:

Same for me. Despite the fact I tend to doze off half way through anything by "Soporific Stevie".
    Ditto
  • Sponsored links:

• Stevie's​ appearance on Sesame Street was about as funky as it gets though

https://youtu.be/_ul7X5js1vE
  • Great idea, Mr Henry. Is this a new feature on CL or have I missed previous face-offs? It was a close call but I'm going for Stevie.
  • Definately should be a new feature
  • Great idea, Mr Henry. Is this a new feature on CL or have I missed previous face-offs? It was a close call but I'm going for Stevie.

Second time I've done it on CL but shamelessly stolen from the Robert Elms BBC Radio London show where its been running for years.

Will keep doing it if people enjoy it
  • Definately should be a new feature

Worth a promote and a sticky but the Admin on here have little musical taste other than @LoOkOuT who knows his roots and culture
  • I think Stevie Wonder's cool soul has beaten the Stones down and dirty blues.
  • Stevie, no question.
  • edited April 2017
    Stones
  • Stones. They were almost untouchable 69-72. Stevie sounds good too, mind.