Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Best games of the Duchatelet era!

edited April 2017 in General Charlton
I know "best game" and "Duchatelet" dont deserve to be in the same sentence, but have there been any games you actually enjoyed? Heres mine;

13/14
Charlton 1-0 QPR - THAT late Jacko goal
Charlton 3-1 Watford - The game that 100% secured our safety that season, a great brace from Harriott.
Blackpool 0-3 Charlton - With Champ status certain, we played with a lot of freedom against a poor Blackpool team and a memorable Harriott hat-trick. Great turn out and atmosphere with 1,200 Addicks there too.

14/15
Norwich 0-1 Charlton - Norwich were pretty smug in the run-up to this, expecting an easy win and we were under siege for the whole game only for Jacko to score with our only attempt on goal at the end.
Reading 0-1 Charlton - A fairly routine win actually, but at a point when Vetokele was looking like a great signing in a rich vein of form, scoring here again. Oh how things changed!
Charlton 3-0 Brentford - Brentford were chasing the playoffs but were dispatched in style. Great performance from Tony Watt setting up the goal for Igor and it looked like we had a great strike partnership in the making.
Charlton 3-0 Huddersfield - Coming hot on the heels of the Brentford win it was another 3 nil, and easily our best football for a fiver game! Two great goals from Watt, and a warm welcome to Chris Powell on his return as the Terriers manager.

15/16
Charlton 2-1 Hull - We dominated a Hull team who would eventually go on to get promoted. Delirium at the Valley in the sunshine with a winning goal from JBG deep deep into injury time.
Rotherham 1-4 Charlton - An away win that looked like it might spark a revival and possibly safety. Arguably the best game we ever got from Makienok, but ultimately a false dawn.
Charlton 2-0 Middlesborough - The excellent pre-game protests did not distract the Charlton side who defeated a Boro team on the verge of promotion.

Comments

• edited April 2017
    I thought the Wigan (2-1) match (14/15 season) was a good performance... Resulted in a very lucky deflection from Franck Moussa to score a very late winner but had it not been for Scott Carson in the Wigan goal we'd have scored earlier.

From this season I thought our First-Half performance against Shrewsbury at the Valley was good but 2nd our levels dropped too much to be included, same with the Bristol Rovers game when we won 4-1 (Only in reverse)
  • I thought the Wigan (2-1) match on the opening day (14/15 season) was a good performance... Resulted in a very lucky deflection from Franck Moussa to score a very late winner but had it not been for Scott Carson in the Wigan goal we'd have scored earlier.

Did Moussa play again after that?
  • CAFCTrev said:

I thought the Wigan (2-1) match on the opening day (14/15 season) was a good performance... Resulted in a very lucky deflection from Franck Moussa to score a very late winner but had it not been for Scott Carson in the Wigan goal we'd have scored earlier.

Did Moussa play again after that?
    Played more times than I realised...

http://www.soccerbase.com/players/player.sd?player_id=43578&season_id=144
  • Bristol Rovers away this season was pretty good - mainly thanks to the Rovers 'keeper
  • Hopefully Swindon at home because it will be the last
  • Cant we do this once that scum bag has gone.
  • I think the only one I celebrated with not a care in the world was that late winner against hull.
  • Sponsored links:

• We haven't played it yet, it will be the last of the Duchatelet era
  • Can't remember who we played, but that big liar flag above KM was an absolute classic.

that was Burnley at home last game of season. Think we lost but overall was a great show of strength from our fans, so this makes it pretty good. Shows there will be hope for the future when he goes.
  • The Sheff Wendy 3-2 where Sordell got a hattrick was pretty special. Considering we were 2-0 down and Sordell got three you started to believe that reality was unraveling and we might actually stay up. Which we did. I think mathematically that was actually the game that secured our status in the end
  • CAFCTrev said:

I know "best game" and "Duchatelet" dont deserve to be in the same sentence, but have there been any games you actually enjoyed? Heres mine;

13/14
    Charlton 3-1 Watford - The game that 100% secured our safety that season, a great brace from Harriott.
    Blackpool 0-3 Charlton - With Champ status certain, we played with a lot of freedom against a poor Blackpool team and a memorable Harriott hat-trick. Great turn out and atmosphere with 1,200 Addicks there too.

14/15
    Norwich 0-1 Charlton - Norwich were pretty smug in the run-up to this, expecting an easy win and we were under siege for the whole game only for Jacko to score with our only attempt on goal at the end.
    Reading 0-1 Charlton - A fairly routine win actually, but at a point when Vetokele was looking like a great signing in a rich vein of form, scoring here again. Oh how things changed!
    Charlton 3-0 Brentford - Brentford were chasing the playoffs but were dispatched in style. Great performance from Tony Watt setting up the goal for Igor and it looked like we had a great strike partnership in the making.
    Charlton 3-0 Huddersfield - Coming hot on the heels of the Brentford win it was another 3 nil, and easily our best football for a fiver game! Two great goals from Watt, and a warm welcome to Chris Powell on his return as the Terriers manager.

15/16
    Charlton 2-1 Hull - We dominated a Hull team who would eventually go on to get promoted. Delirium at the Valley in the sunshine with a winning goal from JBG deep deep into injury time.
    Rotherham 1-4 Charlton - An away win that looked like it might spark a revival and possibly safety. Arguably the best game we ever got from Makienok, but ultimately a false dawn.
    Charlton 2-0 Middlesborough - The excellent pre-game protests did not distract the Charlton side who defeated a Boro team on the verge of promotion.

Can't really argue with any of that. The 3 that stick in my mind is the 1-0 win over Hull , the win over QPR (1-0 ?) when Jacko came off the bench & scored within 5 seconds of coming on) and the 1-0 win at Reading, mainly for the prolonged "Bob, Bob Peters...." chant & for a certain Arsenal midfielder who had a great game & wondered why he wasn't in their side..........little did we know.
  • Boro at home, purely for the protest
  • Rotherham away or 'Boro at home last year for me. Oh, and the Hull game. We were very good against Hull and didn't deserve to be level going into the 97th minute.

But really, that Rotherham game, we pressed well, we countered fantastically well, we looked compact and hard to break down in the second half. Igor looked good while still looking half a yard off the pace. We saw what Big Mak could do with a decent strike partner who can get in behind the defense. JBG had three assists I think, and Lookie came on and finished it off nicely. I really thought that was going to start a run to promotion for us. But Igor was injured the next week and we never found a strike partnership that worked after that.
  • CAFCTrev said:

13/14

14/15

15/16

Can't really argue with any of that. The 3 that stick in my mind is the 1-0 win over Hull , the win over QPR (1-0 ?) when Jacko came off the bench & scored within 5 seconds of coming on) and the 1-0 win at Reading, mainly for the prolonged "Bob, Bob Peters...." chant & for a certain Arsenal midfielder who had a great game & wondered why he wasn't in their side..........little did we know.
    Francis Coquelin, the best signing of the RD era. Had the pleasure of seeing him against Ipswich and Millwall that year and I remember in the pub afterward we all desperately hoped Arsenal had forgotten about him so that we might have a chance to sign him...Those were simpler times.
  • Best football for a fiver games were the ones in League one under CP, Stevenage and I think chesterfield?
  • Best football for a fiver games were the ones in League one under CP, Stevenage and I think chesterfield?

Did we win them tho?
  • SDAddick said:

Rotherham away or 'Boro at home last year for me. Oh, and the Hull game. We were very good against Hull and didn't deserve to be level going into the 97th minute.

But really, that Rotherham game, we pressed well, we countered fantastically well, we looked compact and hard to break down in the second half. Igor looked good while still looking half a yard off the pace. We saw what Big Mak could do with a decent strike partner who can get in behind the defense. JBG had three assists I think, and Lookie came on and finished it off nicely. I really thought that was going to start a run to promotion for us. But Igor was injured the next week and we never found a strike partnership that worked after that.

Wasn't the Rotherham game Igor's last appearance for us... Pretty sure he got injured again almost straight after
  • Sponsored links:

• edited April 2017
    The 1-1 away draw at Gillingham. Getting a last min penalty equaliser against such quality opposisition made me proud to support the club.
  • For me what stands out are the moments.

Jackos last min winner against QPR and Powell punching the air. That was the last time it felt like our Charlton. Even then we knew things were unravelling behind the scenes so that image of Powell seems to me like an act of defiance.

Other moments include the football for a fiver game against Reading. When Yann scored his second against us (didn't celebrate either goal). All 4 sides of the ground rose to applaud him. That was an impromptu moment, an unplanned protest but was a real show of unity and a fuck you to the regime.

Similarly the protest funeral march before the Boro game. And then the 10 mins at the start of the game of continuous 'we want Roland out'.

The stand up for the 2% protest.

That massive post match protest (after the forest game maybe?) The one where the car park felt full of people.

The protests against Burnley.

Gone off the point of the thread but those are my favourite moments since he took over.
  • http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/23737099

The abandoned Doncaster game was certainly one of the most memorable. Chanting off off off, while the Doncaster players tried to spike and clear the water at half time!

What was really galling for Doncaster, was that their 3-1 lead was wiped off, but the sending off and suspension for one of their players wasn't :smile:
  • 2-2 vs Fulham was a cracker
  • edited April 2017
    That qpr game.

It's the game I knew we'd stay up, poyet's crunching Parker-esque-Steve brown esque tackle just before the corner jacko scored. The passion of the players and of CP was brilliant.

Also was a game which was to show us what was to come, with Thuram slipping over imaginary banana skins.
  • The one against Leeds where Watt scored a corker.
  • http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/23737099

The abandoned Doncaster game was certainly one of the most memorable. Chanting off off off, while the Doncaster players tried to spike and clear the water at half time!

What was really galling for Doncaster, was that their 3-1 lead was wiped off, but the sending off and suspension for one of their players wasn't :smile:

We actually looked dangerous leading up to half time and Churchinho scored, I actually fancied us to score more and get something from the game.

Of course having it abandoned worked out well in that we won the replay 2 nil months later!
  • We really are scraping the bottom of the barrel with some of these new threads ..
  • There is no 'best' under Roland, only the least worst.
  • CAFCTrev said:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/23737099

We actually looked dangerous leading up to half time and Churchinho scored, I actually fancied us to score more and get something from the game.

Of course having it abandoned worked out well in that we won the replay 2 nil months later!
    The score was a bit misleading as well, as the Covered End goal which we were defending was a complete quagmire, whereas the JS end had drained better! It might have been fun watching us attack that end in the second half

I'm amazed Churchinho's shot had enough power to fight its way through the mud :-)