Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Greenwich Pub run by locals

The license officer's report reads like a comedy script!

https://853blog.com/

Comments

• God awful pub, good riddance. Good news further on in the article about a micro-pub opening up in the old knickers shop.
  • Darryl, do you know what is happening with the new additional 2 hour parking restrictions, that were all over Charlton on Monday ? Possibly, to do with the Tall Ships, but the signs appeared permanent ?
  • I remember being in there the opening night when it first got taken over and became the Ship & Billet.

Lovely place and very friendly clientele : /

TBH though, I'd have thought that little pub a couple of shops down from it (Now an estate agent?) would have been more likely run by the customers, always was a weird little pub
  • ... the little pub is now John Payne estate agent.

**Jesus wept, going on street map, I just noticed what they built on Greenwich and District Hospital
  • edited April 2017

I remember being in there the opening night when it first got taken over and became the Ship & Billet.

TBH though, I'd have thought that little pub a couple of shops down from it (Now an estate agent?) would have been more likely run by the customers, always was a weird little pub

In the days of it being The Frog and Radiator I recall a mate saying that it was full of nurses, but I never did go in that place. I did go in the Village Friends though, what an apt name.... hmmm.
  • Very happy to hear about the micro-pub, that may become a local for me.
  • I remember being in there the opening night when it first got taken over and became the Ship & Billet.

The Old Friends...
    It was a weird pub, but I liked it for quick drink.
    The landlord looked like a bit of a bruiser, but he had won a scholarship to Charterhouse when he was a boy and was incredibly knowledgeable about history. Nice chap.
    A regular was a one-eyed, alcoholic gypsy called, unsympathetically, one-eye Ron(?).
    He cheated at pool and when I challenged him on it he replied, ' Shut up, longbow, and drink yer drink.'
    I think one-eye die.
  • That's pretty hilarious.

The place has been an absolute joke for quite a while. Living just round the corner to it, I'd gotten to the point that I was having to cross the road just so I didn't have to deal with the charming clientele when walking past.

The several months where almost every window had been kicked in and boarded up were an embarrassment.

All in all, can't say I'll be missing it. The only problem is that it's a pretty prominent spot and a big old building so it'll take some deep pockets to revamp it, so my guess is it'll end up being something like a Starbucks.

Much more excited by the micro pub down the road though. If a crappy pub closes and a nice new one takes its place, I'm more than happy.

Owned by a Charlton fan.
  • Sponsored links:

• Darryl, do you know what is happening with the new additional 2 hour parking restrictions, that were all over Charlton on Monday ? Possibly, to do with the Tall Ships, but the signs appeared permanent ?

Tall Ships one-off - we all got loads of parking vouchers just for one day. The council ballsed it up by not putting enough signs up so if they did issue any fines, many of them wouldn't have been valid anyway.

Owned by a Charlton fan.
    your dad's not branching out is he @NomadicAddick ?
  • It was a horrible pub - some right dodgy types frequented it. Hopefully it will get a new lease of life.
  • edited April 2017

Darryl, do you know what is happening with the new additional 2 hour parking restrictions, that were all over Charlton on Monday ? Possibly, to do with the Tall Ships, but the signs appeared permanent ?

Tall Ships one-off - we all got loads of parking vouchers just for one day. The council ballsed it up by not putting enough signs up so if they did issue any fines, many of them wouldn't have been valid anyway.
    So you're confident that all the new metal (permanent looking), 2 hour only parking restriction signs in Charlton, will be removed ? The council said that (I believe) after the Dome was built and they never did remove them (the signs that have now been there for years).
  • edited April 2017

I remember being in there the opening night when it first got taken over and became the Ship & Billet.

In the days of it being The Frog and Radiator I recall a mate saying that it was full of nurses, but I never did go in that place. I did go in the Village Friends though, what an apt name.... hmmm.
    We use to go in the boozer round the back by the station an all, there were always plenty of nurses in there.

Owned by a Charlton fan.
    your dad's not branching out is he @NomadicAddick ?

No mate, this ones a proper Charlton fan :-)
  • edited April 2017

That's pretty hilarious.

The place has been an absolute joke for quite a while. Living just round the corner to it, I'd gotten to the point that I was having to cross the road just so I didn't have to deal with the charming clientele when walking past.

The several months where almost every window had been kicked in and boarded up were an embarrassment.

All in all, can't say I'll be missing it. The only problem is that it's a pretty prominent spot and a big old building so it'll take some deep pockets to revamp it, so my guess is it'll end up being something like a Starbucks.

Much more excited by the micro pub down the road though. If a crappy pub closes and a nice new one takes its place, I'm more than happy.

Possibly the only people revamping big crap/run down pubs in the area is antic.

On another note, i didn't realise micro pubs originated in Kent?
  • Think the first one was the Butchers Arms in Herne.
  • The good old Ship & Billett / Frog & Radiator - am sure i went in there with @razil once (& only once). Used to be loads of moody pubs on that stretch - bet they've all gone now.