Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Getting a refund from Xbox game store?

My youngest has jumped on the Xbox whilst my eldest was in the shower. He's managed to download star wars battlefront, which we already have on disc! And started playing it.
Just got an email from Microsoft thanking me for my purchase.
Anyone know if there's any chance of getting a refund in these circumstances and if so how you go about it?

I thought I'd blocked purchases but obviously not. Bloody hate how difficult companies like Microsoft make it to block things but you can download anything at the touch of one button!

Comments

• edited April 2017
    I'm astonished at how digital purchases are treated differently. You don't have a legal right to a refund, the best you can do is write to Xbox and ask for one.

I think I read recently that Microsoft are doing some sort of new system where you get a refund if you've clocked up less than 5 hours and within 28 days. I'll see if I can find a link.

Edit - it's actually a rumour but based on some solid evidence. Best chance is to write to them now, and if they say no, wait to see if this update happens and try again.

https://www.reddit.com/r/xboxone/comments/6505ey/selfservice_refunds_are_finally_here_for_xbox_one/
  • edited April 2017
    All sorted now mate.
    Called Microsoft last night and the gave me a refund.
    The fella did say this is a one time only offer as it is the first time it's happened to me.
    I've now set up a key code so the little blighters can't do it again.

You're right about the refund thing though.
    Some of the games on there cost a bloody bomb!
  • edited April 2017

All sorted now mate.
    The fella did say this is a one time only offer as it is the first time it's happened to me.

Glad it was sorted! Its a strange area of law. The PC game distributer Steam got in a lot of trouble for not allowing refunds, the EU's rules stipulate they must and they have now set up what I believe is an EU only refunds system. Odd that the same hasn't been pressured on other online video game stores. But then again hugely established companies like Microsoft often seem to be above the law.
  • All sorted now mate.

Glad it was sorted! Its a strange area of law. The PC game distributer Steam got in a lot of trouble for not allowing refunds, the EU's rules stipulate they must and they have now set up what I believe is an EU only refunds system. Odd that the same hasn't been pressured on other online video game stores. But then again hugely established companies like Microsoft often seem to be above the law.
    Another tick in the box for the remainers!

:-)
  • Yes, if the game was purchased by a kid jumping on the Xbox, that shouldn't happen and it is right you got your refund. It is different to buying the game and changing your mind.