Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Johnnie Jackson and the Swindon game?

A reasonable chance this could be his last match for us - although I sense a coaching/captaining U23s role beckons if KR stays on. I know that protests might be planned for the day, but it doesn't feel right to potentially let him go without some acknowledgement. I know the mass wearing of face masks is considered a bit naff by many (and I'm not volunteering to buy them) and a minute's applause after 4 minutes to reflect his shirt number doesn't feel like enough, although it is probably the simplest to arrange. Views?

Comments

• A reasonable chance this could be his last match for us - although I sense a coaching/captaining U23s role beckons if KR stays on. I know that protests might be planned for the day, but it doesn't feel right to potentially let him go without some acknowledgement. I know the mass wearing of face masks is considered a bit naff by many (and I'm not volunteering to buy them) and a minute's applause after 4 minutes to reflect his shirt number doesn't feel like enough, although it is probably the simplest to arrange. Views?

The 4 minute applause sounds good. But may be hard to determine when that is if there are protests.
  • 4 Minutes of applause/chanting from the 4th minute (A long time I know)? I would actually go along if there is something being done for him, first and only home game this season if that's the case...
  • Pitch invasion on 4 minutes, handcuff him to the goalpost and pull his shorts down.

That's the one :wink:
  • I wouldn't​ mind one of those things where we all hold up various pieces of paper that when viewed from afar has a message on it, problem is you need a full stand for it to work
  • Huskaris said:

4 Minutes of applause/chanting from the 4th minute (A long time I know)? I would actually go along if there is something being done for him, first and only home game this season if that's the case...

Second that - wasn't planning to go but will if something's happening for Jacko.
  • Sponsored links:

• sam3110 said:

I wouldn't​ mind one of those things where we all hold up various pieces of paper that when viewed from afar has a message on it, problem is you need a full stand for it to work

Well that's not going to work then. Only full stand all season is the away end.
  • Pitch invasion on 4 minutes, handcuff him to the goalpost and pull his shorts down.

No ifs no buts.
    Sounds like at least one butt there!! :wink:
  • Anyone else reckon the title of this thread sounds like a children's adventure book story?

Or a Sixties pop group.
  • Anyone else reckon the title of this thread sounds like a children's adventure book story?

In which Johnnie and his chums raid the tuck shop before going on a pheasant shoot in Wiltshire
    With lashings of ginger beer ...
  • Sponsored links:

• I've thought about this for a few months, but on the basis he's not announced his retirement I reckon he'll be here next year. Not sure he'll remain captain and his title will no doubt change to 'Player Coach'.

I think it'll be very poor show if he isn't offered a new deal and nor is this announced before the Swindon game to give us time to arrange something, in all honesty it's probably too late now to arrange something fiting of the man who is one of the few reasons I still bother to go to matches......

If they do let him go and he signs elsewhere then I'll be missing for the 1st game next season as I'll be going to wherever he is playing to thank him personally.
  • We'll throw number 4's on the pitch
  • At 4 minutes we all drop our trousers and show our foreskins..
  • cafc-west said:

At 4 minutes we all drop our trousers and show our foreskins..

Or we could have protest and throw them on the pitch, Gaylord Focker style.
  • Can still be a good sqaud player if not a regular.

Or a Sixties pop group.
    I preferred his early stuff before he went commercial. His acoustic recordings are well worth a listen.
  • Does this mean we can finally put the come in number 4 thread to bed?
  • Coltthe3rd. What do you suggest ? I'm on a boycott.
  • Can still be a good sqaud player if not a regular.

I actually don't think he can - if he wasn't Johnnie Jackson I don't think anyone would be fussed about giving him a new deal based on his playing ability, especially on the sort of money that I assume he is on. However we are miles short of leadership in our squad and that's a quality that will never leave him.

It's a difficult decision, I love him for being a bit of a rock in difficult times, but (I know this will be unpopular) we've been horrendous in the middle of the park this year and I think Jacksons rapid decline as a player is part of that reason. Either he has to accept a vastly reduced salary to stay on as a squad player or we investigate the coaching thing which would make for an interesting dynamic as JJ clearly has the respect of the players whilst I don't think Karl does.