Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Out of Contract

Anyone know who is out of contract at the end of the season? Imagine Watto, Igor and several others probably are.

Comments

• edited April 2017
    Crofts | Jackson are two... Watt and Igor have another season in them both

http://forum.charltonlife.com/discussion/76615/updated-squad-list-1st-february-2017
  • Crofts | Jackson are two... Watt and Igor have another season in them both

http://forum.charltonlife.com/discussion/76615/updated-squad-list-1st-february-2017

Thanks, I'd forgotten the length of contracts we gave out!
  • Chicksen, Crofts, Jackson, Johnson plus Rudd, Dasilva, Bryne, Ulvested and Botaka
  • Don't think Rudd will be offered a new contract at Norwich.
  • I would like to keep in JJ in some capacity, probably also chicksen, Rudd, da silva. Would hope to find better than crofts, Johnson, Byrne, ulvestad and botaka.
  • Will be very surprised if we have more than two of these here is August. Would guess Jackson will get some kind of offer and maybe one other dependent on who the manager is.
  • What is the official day that Roger Johnson ceases to be a Charlton player, July 1st?
  • Had no idea that JJ is at the end of his contract. He must stay. Surely as player/coach at least.
  • Sponsored links:

• Planning a party?
  • I think Chicksen, Johnson will go. I would like to buy Byrne and get Da Silva on a season long loan. Crofts is also worth keeping. Botaka, Ulvestad and Rudd will go back to their parent clubs.
  • I'd like to buy Chicksen.
  • Or extend his contract.
  • Don't like Byrne.
  • Fear not fellow sufferers, every change has been an upgrade.
  • Tommy & Katie would be nice
  • Why does everyone assume JJ will go into a coaching role with the club? Has he said this is what he intends to do?
  • All depends on whether or not RD is still here in the summer.

Expect lots of youth players next season if he is

Team could look something like this

Phillips

Solly Bauer Pearce Page

Forster Caskey Konsa

Holmes Aribo MID

Magennis

That's assuming KR is still in charge and playing 4-2-3-1

I also don't know enough about our youth team to guess who will be promoted to the first team next season
  • agim said:

Why does everyone assume JJ will go into a coaching role with the club? Has he said this is what he intends to do?

He's doing his coaching badges and he's not getting any younger so i guess so
  • Sponsored links:

• agim said:

Why does everyone assume JJ will go into a coaching role with the club? Has he said this is what he intends to do?

He's doing his coaching badges and he's not getting any younger so i guess so
    And he loves Charlton almost as much as I love him.
  • edited April 2017
    RoJo goodbye.

Crofts--I feel like we can do better than Crofts, he seems to be really hit and miss, and he's 33 this year (I think) coming toward the end of a career full of injuries. Maybe I'm being a little hopefully.

DaSilva--For all the stick DaSilva got the wee lad seems a talent. Definitely wouldn't mind him on a year long loan. I'm starting to think those people over at Chelsea might know a thing or two about good players...(and Marko Marin)

Ulvestad--if we could get him on a free or cheap, I think would be a good signing at this level. He has ability, it just seems to be inconsistent. He's the type where he might not be first choice week in week out, but you wouldn't mind throwing him in there. But it really depends on availability and wages.

Rudd is clearly an excellent shot stopper. But he seems shaky at times under the high ball, and his distribution isn't great. If you go back to August you'll see that I said as much, quality shot stopper, rest of the game needs work...and if I didn't say that, I definitely thought it, and you can't prove otherwise. I'd still keep him, on his day the best keeper in the league, and I don't think a group of talent U-21s (Phillips, Beeney, Mitov, the Aussie lad) are capable of making the step up.

Byrne--maybe with a full pre-season. It's nice to have a player with pace who can play on both wings and at fullback and wingback. But again, he's contracted to Wigan who will be in this league next year and I can't see them letting him go.

The Skipper--Has had a lovely Indian Summer as a holding player in a midfield diamond/4-1-4-1. He's a lovely man who loves the club, which is far more important than anything else. If we kept him, it should be in a player/coach role, and we shouldn't expect much out of him--basically have him there to provide experience late in games and some occasional leadership.

Chicks--think we could do far worse, and can play fullback and wing. Would keep him given he's out of contract, probably pretty cheap, and provides solid cover (has also played right back).

Botaka--The ability is there and he works far harder than he gets credit for, but he just doesn't seem to have put it all together. I want to say he's out of contract with Leeds, and I wouldn't mind him on a free, but I'd be fine if he moved on.

• cabbles said:

All depends on whether or not RD is still here in the summer.

Expect lots of youth players next season if he is

Team could look something like this

Phillips

Solly Bauer Pearce Page

Forster Caskey Konsa

Holmes Aribo MID

Magennis

That's assuming KR is still in charge and playing 4-2-3-1

I also don't know enough about our youth team to guess who will be promoted to the first team next season

Even if RD stays we won't have a team with just youth players, there are plenty of free/cheap journeymen you can use to full out a team.

I'd offer Crofts another year, he's shown his worth as a member of the squad. I'd be happy to sign Byrne permanently. DaSilva would be great for a season, but would Chelsea or the player prefer a move to the Championship?

A big question is what happens to the loaned out players like Igor, Ceballos and Sarr, as I can't see them being any use in L1, and their wages will be too high anyway and restrict our budget for next year
  • SDAddick said:

RoJo goodbye.

Crofts--I feel like we can do better than Crofts, he seems to be really hit and miss, and he's 33 this year (I think) coming toward the end of a career full of injuries. Maybe I'm being a little hopefully.

DaSilva--For all the stick DaSilva got the wee lad seems a talent. Definitely wouldn't mind him on a year long loan. I'm starting to think those people over at Chelsea might know a thing or two about good players...(and Marko Marin)

Ulvestad--if we could get him on a free or cheap, I think would be a good signing at this level. He has ability, it just seems to be inconsistent. He's the type where he might not be first choice week in week out, but you wouldn't mind throwing him in there. But it really depends on availability and wages.

Rudd is clearly an excellent shot stopper. But he seems shaky at times under the high ball, and his distribution isn't great. If you go back to August you'll see that I said as much, quality shot stopper, rest of the game needs work...and if I didn't say that, I definitely thought it, and you can't prove otherwise. I'd still keep him, on his day the best keeper in the league, and I don't think a group of talent U-21s (Phillips, Beeney, Mitov, the Aussie lad) are capable of making the step up.

Byrne--maybe with a full pre-season. It's nice to have a player with pace who can play on both wings and at fullback and wingback. But again, he's contracted to Wigan who will be in this league next year and I can't see them letting him go.

The Skipper--Has had a lovely Indian Summer as a holding player in a midfield diamond/4-1-4-1. He's a lovely man who loves the club, which is far more important than anything else. If we kept him, it should be in a player/coach role, and we shouldn't expect much out of him--basically have him there to provide experience late in games and some occasional leadership.

Chicks--think we could do far worse, and can play fullback and wing. Would keep him given he's out of contract, probably pretty cheap, and provides solid cover (has also played right back).

Botaka--The ability is there and he works far harder than he gets credit for, but he just doesn't seem to have put it all together. I want to say he's out of contract with Leeds, and I wouldn't mind him on a free, but I'd be fine if he moved on.

Fair assessment I suppose.

In my opinion..

Crofts - good enough for this league if he has mobile players around him, worth keeping for another year, he's an experienced player which we will need next season.

Dasilva - talented and impressive of late, if we could keep him for a year next season, great as he could really develop over these next 12 months. I just don't see us having him.

Ulvestad - decent enough player to have in the squad but not good enough to be starting week in week out, he'll go back to Burnley and be sold.

Rudd - not been as impressed with him as I thought I would be when he signed, still got quality but was expecting more. Good to try and keep him, but again I don't see him being here at all next season.

Byrne - said when we signed him he will be a good signing, shame he will be playing against us next season for Wigan.

Jackson - don't care what role it is, don't care how much or little he plays. He has to stay, under no circumstances does he leave. Practically the only one at the club I still have a connection to, bar Solly, but Jacko has that something special.

Chicksen - good enough squad player and versatile, worth another year but not one I would rely on every week.

Botaka - got skills and moments of great play, they're just too rare. Gets tired too quickly. Not good enough for where we want to be. Will be back at Leeds and sold on.
  • Would like to see Barnes if Solly not available. Also Crofts and Ulvestad not here so give Lapslie or Djiksteel a go. And why not Konsa in a back three? Edwards poor for U23s since injury but I'd give him a game anyway as we have no contracted LB.
  • Would like to see Barnes if Solly not available. Also Crofts and Ulvestad not here so give Lapslie or Djiksteel a go. And why not Konsa in a back three? Edwards poor for U23s since injury but I'd give him a game anyway as we have no contracted LB.

Page is a left back and will be back next season, ready for pre-season. Edwards isn't good enough for the first team.

Lapslie, although good for U23s, isn't good enough or ready enough for the first team. I would have Djiksteel involved from now on however.

You can't be chucking in loads of youngsters at the end of the season just because we are now safe. It's pointless and has more potential harm than good. One or two maybe on the bench and come on, that's at most. Anything more is poor management.
  • Forgot about Page but disagree about Edwards and Lapslie. The latter demands the ball, something we miss. And uses it. Edwards lacking a yard of pace since injury but has Solly genes. Can't see how playing kids in meaningless games can harm them. Not sure why playing anyone not here next year is beneficial to the squad.
  • Sage said:

SDAddick said:

RoJo goodbye.

Fair assessment I suppose.

In my opinion..

Crofts - good enough for this league if he has mobile players around him, worth keeping for another year, he's an experienced player which we will need next season.

Dasilva - talented and impressive of late, if we could keep him for a year next season, great as he could really develop over these next 12 months. I just don't see us having him.

Ulvestad - decent enough player to have in the squad but not good enough to be starting week in week out, he'll go back to Burnley and be sold.

Rudd - not been as impressed with him as I thought I would be when he signed, still got quality but was expecting more. Good to try and keep him, but again I don't see him being here at all next season.

Byrne - said when we signed him he will be a good signing, shame he will be playing against us next season for Wigan.

Jackson - don't care what role it is, don't care how much or little he plays. He has to stay, under no circumstances does he leave. Practically the only one at the club I still have a connection to, bar Solly, but Jacko has that something special.

Chicksen - good enough squad player and versatile, worth another year but not one I would rely on every week.

Botaka - got skills and moments of great play, they're just too rare. Gets tired too quickly. Not good enough for where we want to be. Will be back at Leeds and sold on.
    The thing is you are talking about keeping most of the players we had this season. If we do keep them all why would we finish any higher next season?

I agree about Dasilva, both that we should be looking to keep him and that we won't be able to. Byrne has looked good in a couple of games but I agree that Wigan won't, literally, give him away and I think that is where we will be shopping if RD stays. As for the rest - especially the midfielders, are we really expecting our fortunes to change if we keep the same pedestrian, limited players next season?

I think we need to replace at least eight of the current squad. Anything less than that and we will struggle. I also fear that this is exactly what is going to happen, sadly.
  • With 2 games left, I think it would be more beneficial to finish on a positive note with 2 wins, rather than playing too many untried youngsters, and losing. We've already got Konsa and Aribo around the first team anyway