Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Ferencvárosi TC Football club

Play at the Groupama Arena, any one been there?

I arrive in Budapest on the 25th April and they're playing at home on the 26th and I'd quite like to go.

There ground only has a capacity of 20000 and as they've been the top team in Hungary for some time, wondering if it's hard to get tickets?

Comments

• Thought this was Roland's newest toy.
  • Might well be on his shopping list!
  • I would recommend to follow this bloke on Twitter, and drop him a line. He is one of the owners of the Hungarofoot website, and seems to be a good bloke. He has materially helped me while researching the Duchatelet disaster at Ujpest. He's actually a Honved fan.

I don't think Hungarian games sell out though. And that may be putting it mildly.
  • Soccerway says their average attendance this season is 6531. I think you'll be ok for tickets.
  • I would recommend to follow this bloke on Twitter, and drop him a line. He is one of the owners of the Hungarofoot website, and seems to be a good bloke. He has materially helped me while researching the Duchatelet disaster at Ujpest. He's actually a Honved fan.

I don't think Hungarian games sell out though. And that may be putting it mildly.

Thanks Prague but it is a cup semi final?

I'll tweet him.
  • Soccerway says their average attendance this season is 6531. I think you'll be ok for tickets.

Thanks.

It's a cup semi final, so not sure how much the gate will increase.

Thanks Prague but it is a cup semi final?

I'll tweet him.
    he's your man. I fear that even a cup semi won't draw a crowd, unless it happens to be a derby too. The Czech Cup is a complete joke. I dont think winning it in these countries gets them a Europa League place.

• Exchanged tweets with your man, Prague.

Sounds like I wont have a problem getting tickets.

Ferencvaros,Ujpest and Honved are all at home on the Saturday, so might take in another game.
  • Was just in Budapest

Decided to skip seeing Ujpest, but met some fans

Flippermuseum highly recommended!
  • Sponsored links:

• Was just in Budapest

Ferencvaros,Ujpest and Honved are all at home on the Saturday, so might take in another game.

Do not do Ujpest.
  • se9addick said:

Was there in late July to see them play a local derby, ground was about a quarter full. Take your passport with you and get there 45 mins early as you have to sign up for a membership card in order to buy tickets (which entails you giving finger prints and signing some disclaimer form totally in Hungarian, god knows what you're agreeing to).

Sit behind the goal in the home end, atmosphere was decent, view was pretty good and the beer at half time was ok - quality of football was terrible but people in Roger Johnson houses shouldn't throw stones.

Budapest is good for a groundhopping weekend.
  • se9addick said:

Was there in late July to see them play a local derby, ground was about a quarter full. Take your passport with you and get there 45 mins early as you have to sign up for a membership card in order to buy tickets (which entails you giving finger prints and signing some disclaimer form totally in Hungarian, god knows what you're agreeing to).

Sit behind the goal in the home end, atmosphere was decent, view was pretty good and the beer at half time was ok - quality of football was terrible but people in Roger Johnson houses shouldn't throw stones.

not sure if this is the reason but might explain the poor turnout for games. a similar id card has to be used in italy at most grounds. a lot of the 'ultras' have been protesting against it and been boycotting games.
  • se9addick said:

not sure if this is the reason but might explain the poor turnout for games. a similar id card has to be used in italy at most grounds. a lot of the 'ultras' have been protesting against it and been boycotting games.
    I was at Lazio last year and it was very similar. Attendance was about the same too !
  • Think Thatcher wanted to do the same here many years ago.
  • se9addick said:

Yep, Ujpest and Ferencvaros fans have even arranged joint boycotts of derby matches because of this.
  • se9addick said:

Yeah was wondering about the registration lark.

I'm staying in district VI is the ground far?

Did you go see Honved play?

Thanks for the info se9addick.
  • Was just in Budapest

Okay thanks Siv_in_Norfolk.

Do not do Ujpest.
    Why's that, am I likely to be found at the bottom of the Danube?
  • Sponsored links:

• se9addick said:

Yeah was wondering about the registration lark.

I'm staying in district VI is the ground far?

Did you go see Honved play?

Thanks for the info se9addick.
    I was on a stag do so I've no idea where "district VI" is as the football was pretty much the only time I was (relatively) sober during the weekend !

Yeah I think it was Honved they were playing against.

Do not do Ujpest.
    Who owns Ujpest?!!!!

Do not do Ujpest.
    Who owns Ujpest?!!!!
    Ha Ha Ha yes of course forgot, thanks for the timely reminder Elsborg.

I'd have had to commit Harikari if I'd gone and then realised afterwards!

Do not do Ujpest.
    Who owns Ujpest?!!!!
    Ha Ha Ha yes of course forgot, thanks for the timely reminder Elsborg.

I'd have had to commit Harikari if I'd gone and then realised afterwards!
    I'll excuse you if you get a freebie.
  • I've been to Ferencvaros. Definitely arrive ahead of time to get your membership card. Once you have that I don't think you'll be able to go to the other grounds.

When I went in late September, Ferencvaros had a 100% record and were playing a team at the bottom of the league. Dogshit football but se9's point about Roger Johnson is fair. Ferencvaros went 1-0 up after 10 minutes and then parked the bus. Nowhere near being full. Behind the goal probably better for atmosphere but they do some weird chants.

Hungarian police have a lot of gas masks.

Highly recommend Budapest. Go to at least one ruin bar (szimpla is the one I remember) and at least one baths. There's a hill on the Buda side with a communist monument at the top, worth a climb as you can see over the city. Also go on the number 1 subway. As with most European cities the free walking tours are good.
  • IA said:

I've been to Ferencvaros. Definitely arrive ahead of time to get your membership card. Once you have that I don't think you'll be able to go to the other grounds.

When I went in late September, Ferencvaros had a 100% record and were playing a team at the bottom of the league. Dogshit football but se9's point about Roger Johnson is fair. Ferencvaros went 1-0 up after 10 minutes and then parked the bus. Nowhere near being full. Behind the goal probably better for atmosphere but they do some weird chants.

Hungarian police have a lot of gas masks.

Highly recommend Budapest. Go to at least one ruin bar (szimpla is the one I remember) and at least one baths. There's a hill on the Buda side with a communist monument at the top, worth a climb as you can see over the city. Also go on the number 1 subway. As with most European cities the free walking tours are good.

Okay, thanks for the info IA.
  • The other semi-final is also on 26th April. Vasas are playing Mezőkövesd at 4pm at the Újpest's Szusza Ferenc stadium, because Vasas's ground is being reconstructed. So you can go to Újpest just up metro line 3 from your accommodation without worrying about any Duchatelets getting your money. Getting tickets there will be just as complicated as at FTC.

Ferencváros are playing Budafok, a team of semi-professionals in the regional 3rd tier in the other semi-final. Hungary doesn't go in for fairytale cup runs, so there won't be much romance in what is also a local derby of sorts.

Ferencváros are a government plaything owned by one of Orbán's buddies Gábor Kubatov, so you might not want to support that particular project.

Vasas are a famous old club from the ironworks of the Angyalföld (district XIII), who are enjoying a fine season after flirting with relegation last season. They beat FTC at Groupama Arena last weekend, much to the joy of non-Fradi supporters.

I saw Ferencváros's quarter final second leg against Diósgyőr in Mezőkövesd (Diósgyőr's stadium is being rebuilt!) in a 0-0 bore draw. As for Mezőkövesd they are another government-owned club, whose stadium has already been built.

So, if it is one or the other join the thousand or so fans at the Vasas match. It could be the beginning of a beautiful relationship.
  • se9addick said:

Am I spotting the famous tracksuit bottoms of Gabor Kiraly in goal in that pic?
  • The other semi-final is also on 26th April. Vasas are playing Mezőkövesd at 4pm at the Újpest's Szusza Ferenc stadium, because Vasas's ground is being reconstructed. So you can go to Újpest just up metro line 3 from your accommodation without worrying about any Duchatelets getting your money. Getting tickets there will be just as complicated as at FTC.

Ferencváros are playing Budafok, a team of semi-professionals in the regional 3rd tier in the other semi-final. Hungary doesn't go in for fairytale cup runs, so there won't be much romance in what is also a local derby of sorts.

Ferencváros are a government plaything owned by one of Orbán's buddies Gábor Kubatov, so you might not want to support that particular project.

Vasas are a famous old club from the ironworks of the Angyalföld (district XIII), who are enjoying a fine season after flirting with relegation last season. They beat FTC at Groupama Arena last weekend, much to the joy of non-Fradi supporters.

I saw Ferencváros's quarter final second leg against Diósgyőr in Mezőkövesd (Diósgyőr's stadium is being rebuilt!) in a 0-0 bore draw. As for Mezőkövesd they are another government-owned club, whose stadium has already been built.

So, if it is one or the other join the thousand or so fans at the Vasas match. It could be the beginning of a beautiful relationship.

But they do have Zoltan Gera playing for them but I may take your advice, thanks for the info, hungaroaddick.

Hi, @hungaroaddick .

I thought the Ujpest stadium was itself being reconstructed this season, and Ujpest were playing elsewhere (and thus the excuse why they have had "home" gates as low as 300 this season). Maybe the work has been completed?

Also, do you happen to know if Ujpest own the stadium, or whether it is owned by, e.g. the council?