Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Charlton v Gillingham | Mon 17 Apr | 3pm KO | Match Preview, Predictions, News & Views

Charlton Athletic v Gillingham
Easter Monday … 3pm Kick-Off
Referee: Brett Huxtable (Devon)

Introduction

Happy Easter and welcome to what is the penultimate home game of the 2016/17 season… Twenty-One League matches have been held at the Valley this season and this time in two weeks it’ll be reason for all Addicks fans to celebrate as the Football League season will have come to a close…

Beforehand though we have three final games beginning with a home Kent derby against fellow strugglers Gillingham; results though are simple – A win for either team with other matches ending in our favour then both Charlton and Gillingham are pretty much safe (for both sides this could be a mathematic certainty).

The Opposition
Name: Gillingham | Manager: Ade Pennock
Ground: The Priestfield Stadium

This time last season and Gillingham were praying for a Play-Off position in what was a strong season for the Kent side… Despite being amongst the leading pack for most of the season, the Gills could hold on and were forced to finish in ninth place and six points off the Play-Offs – This season though their fortunes haven’t been favourable and like the Addicks have sacked a Manager and have also struggled.

The men tasked with their survival though are none other than two locals who are well-known the Addicks from past Welling friendlies; Ade Pennock and Jamie Day (Assistant at Gillingham) are two of the Wings best ever Managers with the latter leading Welling to the Conference for the first time in thirteen years… With Justin Edinburgh sacked, there were many surprises when Pennock was appointed (his only Football League experience being with Stoke as their Academy and First-Team Coach) and having been given the challenge of taking the Gills to the Play-Offs it’ll unlikely if either man are kept on after their end of season Contracts end.

Charlton Team News
Having tinkered with the squad nearly every week it was surprising to see no chances from Karl Robinson on Friday yet seeing that we struggled against a relegated Coventry City it’ll be surprising to see yet another unchanged Addicks squad – Who comes out and who remains we’ll have to wait and see yet with Robinson stating his desire to keep Declan Rudd beyond this season it would be a surprise to see the on-loan ‘keeper dropped from the team.

Rudd
Solly | Bauer | Pearce | Dasilva
Jackson
Botaka | Forster-Caskey | Konsa | Holmes
Magennis

Substitutes Bench: Phillips | Teixeira | Chicksen | Crofts | Ulvestad | Byrne | Watt

Comments

• Good preview as always. Thanks. Couldn't give a flying wotsit about this game I'm afraid.
  • 1-2 Josh Wright scoring winner in 90 minute
  • Comfortable home win 4-0.
  • Tight old game with a fair amount of effort, I hope/would like to see Josh get a goal or two, 2-1 playing season over let the fun begin.
  • 1-1. David Mooney with a fantastic piece of skill, turn and shot from the edge of the box.
  • Charlton have never lost to Gillingham at the Valley and haven't lost a league game to them since 1929.

The last three meetings have all been score draws so I'm going for a Desmond.
  • Charlton have never lost to Gillingham at the Valley and haven't lost a league game to them since 1929.

The last three meetings have all been score draws so I'm going for a Desmond.

Time for Tarbuck to break another of those records.
  • edited April 2017
    Not really a fixture to get the pulse racing: both sides in poor form, both still needing a couple of points to be mathmatically safe; so I'll give hope to the consolidationists and say 2-2.

Shame Mividididi got injured: would be nice to see a player like him coming in for Konsa, or even some of the youngsters, but I think @ForeverAddickted got the starting XI spot on there (except Ulvestad will probably start ahead of Botaka).
  • edited April 2017

1-1. David Mooney with a fantastic piece of skill, turn and shot from the edge of the box.

Mooney Gillingham? He's Southend me thinks
  • Sponsored links:

• As long as we don't get relegated I really have no interest in what happens.
  • 1-1 - as it was at their place, and at Coventry on friday, and about another dozen times this season............yawn.
  • Another 1-1 draw to just about ensure safety.
  • 2-1 win to secure our league one status. Magennis to score.
  • We were terrible at Coventry, luckily Rudd had a blinder . 1-1 again .
  • edited April 2017
    2-1
    Not too concerned about the line up.
    Have missed the last five games (been on hols), so will be interested to see Dasilva, who's apparently performed well in recent games.
    But he'll be off in the summer I guess.

Am a bit concerned that we get bought by someone without the funds to get a decent squad of players together.

The right buyer, and we can celebrate. The wrong buyer and we can expect another struggle next season.
  • I actually think we can nick this one
    Gillingham are worse than us
    3.1 Charlton
  • Was going but saw Kasabian in Southend last night and have the mother of all hangovers and not sure I am fit to drive for a couple of days..

1-1
  • we got an undeserved 1-1(1 of the many) at their place thanks to an injury time Ajose (when is he coming back ?) penalty .. expect more of the same
  • Sponsored links:

• Loads of Alf Garnett dancing outside the ground and another draw for the home side.
  • Is this really known as the 'Kent derby'?
  • 1-1 - as it was at their place, and at Coventry on friday, and about another dozen times this season............yawn.

But will it be a 1-1 where we are leading and throw it away late on or where we are behind and save the game late on?

Oooh the excitement!!!!!
  • Valley11 said:

Is this really known as the 'Kent derby'?

I think hearing that often depends upon the accent of the person saying it but during the game it is generally not unusual to hear words of encouragement and derision during this game that acknowledge the shared connection of the county such as 'have some of that you kent' or 'tackle him you kent'
  • 3-1 Charlton.

Josh Wright for Gillingham, set up by Bradley Dack.
    Holmes, Magennis, and Solly for us.

Surely we can't keep being so bloody boring with the 1-1 draws, in the last few games we got to have a game where it's a little bit fun...

No? Thought not.
  • Solly scoring would be a novelty although about time he scored at home.
  • 2-1 to Charlton.
  • Never won at the Valley? No win since 1929? This wonderful season has already seen us break some records and I am sure there is room for more. 2-0 to Gillingham.
  • Valley11 said:

Is this really known as the 'Kent derby'?

I classed it as a Kent Derby because both sides play in the Kent Senior Cup