Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Kelvin MacKenzie

Comments

• Does anyone really get surprised when they read ridiculous articles like this? I personally think KM and the sun know exactly what needs to be done to cause a stir and it seems like the majority of people are buying into it.
    To me it didn't come across as racism, I for one didn't know about his Nigerian connections, it came across as a poorly written article from someone trying to get attention/pick a fight which is exactly what he's got.
  • se9addick said:

Chizz said:

He's been spouting vile filth for far, far too long

Is that real ? Surely not ?
    Maybe Kelvin got his information from an article like this one, with statistics from the American Centre for Disease Control :

http://www.returnofkings.com/3882/the-truth-about-aids
    Deary me, I thought Breitbart was bad.
  • Kelvin mackenzie is a stain on humanity that being said i dont think there was a racist intent. Non story but i repeat Kelvin Macenzie is a stain on humanity
  • Interesting that his contribution came on the Eve of the Hillsborough tragedy that stopped huge numbers of Liverpudlians buying his newspaper. He hates them. Coincidence? Unlikely.
  • Kelvin mackenzie is a stain on humanity that being said i dont think there was a racist intent. Non story but i repeat Kelvin Macenzie is a stain on humanity

The article had an image that compared his face to that of a gorilla. Barkley is of African descent (as the paper has previously reported). I genuinely don't believe it's relevant whether Mackenzie knew about the man's family or not in order for a race issue to arise out of that.
  • JiMMy 85 said:

Kelvin mackenzie is a stain on humanity that being said i dont think there was a racist intent. Non story but i repeat Kelvin Macenzie is a stain on humanity

The article had an image that compared his face to that of a gorilla. Barkley is of African descent (as the paper has previously reported). I genuinely don't believe it's relevant whether Mackenzie knew about the man's family or not in order for a race issue to arise out of that.
    We shall have to agree to disagree. For someone to be guilty ofnan offence there must be intent. If macenzie knew of his heritage n fine there is intent and therefore guilt. If mecenzie did not know of his heritage then im afraid you cant call him racist for making a comparison. That other place have been calling members of charlton life racist for discussiosn surrounding robinson due the continued use of the phrase 'scouse twat'. In my view if macenzie ,presuming he knew nothing of barkleys heritage, is no more racist then some one here.
  • JiMMy 85 said:

Kelvin mackenzie is a stain on humanity that being said i dont think there was a racist intent. Non story but i repeat Kelvin Macenzie is a stain on humanity

We shall have to agree to disagree. For someone to be guilty ofnan offence there must be intent. If macenzie knew of his heritage n fine there is intent and therefore guilt. If mecenzie did not know of his heritage then im afraid you cant call him racist for making a comparison. That other place have been calling members of charlton life racist for discussiosn surrounding robinson due the continued use of the phrase 'scouse twat'. In my view if macenzie ,presuming he knew nothing of barkleys heritage, is no more racist then some one here.
    I'd be surprised if he didn't know, but even if we assume that he didn't, then the very least he and his editor should have done, before making the a gorilla comparison in a major newspaper that sells in the hundreds of thousands, is do a 5 second wikipedia search on the subject of your piece to ensure that your comparison couldn't be misconstrued.

The fact that KM and nobody else at the Sun could be bothered to do a fairly basic part of their job before publishing says a lot about them as an organisation.
  • Just to go a little off topic for a moment, it's worth having a look at Anderson's social media.

I say this because the man is executive mayor of Liverpool - not some very part-time parish councillor. There's almost nothing on his accounts that isn't just about football. Rather than trawl back three years looking for proof of what we all knew anyway - that The Sun is a shit paper - perhaps he might be better employed actually getting on with his job? Why did he think it was his function to report the paper? Surely, that should have been down to Ross, his club or his advisers if he'd been bothered about it?

BTW, I have a mate who is a Liverpool supporter. At this time of year I always get "shared" with all the Hillsborough stuff - it's seemingly endless. 28 years this time around. How much longer are we going to have to put up with this maudlin behaviour? Can't the scouse just get on with their lives and do a memorial, I don't know, every 10 years or whatever? If they really must. Or even better, can they just forget about it, like they appear to have done with Heysel?

Football is now out of control on memorial stuff. They might as well include a black arm band in the manufacturing process for club shirts, they are in use so often.

Rant over.
  • Sponsored links:

• All being said, It is unusual that the Bin Dippers are so easily offended!
  • The Sun have issued their apology today - I still can't get over how they say that no one in The Sun was aware of Barkley's heritage. Really? So a national newspaper with all the resources at its availablity and all those journalists and reporters, not one person in the system was aware.

You couldn't make it up. As someone said on the election thread, can't wait to see what bile they've got planned for us between now and June 8th
  • Worse than that, the article calls him a gorilla who is so stupid there's nothing behind his eyes... and the apology says "no slur intended".

What the actual fuck was intended?
  • edited April 2017
    JiMMy 85 said:

Worse than that, the article calls him a gorilla who is so stupid there's nothing behind his eyes... and the apology says "no slur intended".

The Sun like Gorillas and think they are cuddly.
  • edited April 2017
    JiMMy 85 said:

Worse than that, the article calls him a gorilla who is so stupid there's nothing behind his eyes... and the apology says "no slur intended".

I imagine the gorilla that Kelvin referenced thought, "Look at that specimen. Just blank it out." :wink:
  • And nothing at all to do with the fact that Murdoch is trying to make sure nothing gets in the way of his efforts to take complete control of Sky.
  • aliwibble said:

And nothing at all to do with the fact that Murdoch is trying to make sure nothing gets in the way of his efforts to take complete control of Sky.

He will probably bring Mackenzie back in a couple of years, a la Rebekah Wade / Brooks. To be fair to murdoch, he always seems prepared to help his worms out
  • Sponsored links:

• Just got sent this. Might have been posted already but worth posting again either way if only to see the moment where the penny drops. 

https://youtu.be/ErqQxlbNpUg
  • JiMMy 85 said:
    Just got sent this. Might have been posted already but worth posting again either way if only to see the moment where the penny drops. 

https://youtu.be/ErqQxlbNpUg
    Good watch that - he is a vile person
  • The man’s an outright prick
  • the only good video about this toxic hate carcass will be detailing his agonising demise
    any time his name pops up I'm momentarily cheered by the prospect he's stopped stealing oxygen and spreading division but thus far I remain disappointed
  • edited September 2022
    Just a few of the previous KM threads where some have a whinge... actually AFKA you wrote an article on it entitled: Why KM and his crew will never get it.. its disappeared. Were you told to? And the Guardian picked up on it.. http://www.theguardian.com/media/mediamonkeyblog/2009/apr/01/charlton-athletic-kelvin-mackenzie
    Was part of the old Blog, have found the article but have sadly not got all the comment replies. This was from 2009. Some of it actually feels quite pertinent to now.... Why Kelvin and his crew will never quite get it…… A few days away and a welcome break from all things Charlton. Its not until you take a step away from the vortex of misery you realise with a calmer approach just how ridiculously pathetic the scope of our efforts have been this season. Rooted at the bottom of the Premiership amid a gulf in class and finance is unpleasant for anyone, but a more than likely scenario these days with the way the structure of our game has progressed. For it to happen quite so candidly in the Championship, particularly as there have been no Titanic events causing us to sink so quickly, is simply astonishing. We have not entered administration or had to sell all our best players (sic) on mass, we have not had players on strike, or staff going months unpaid etc. The Zabeel non-deal was a distraction, but nothing to the size of derailing our whole season quite so spectacularly. As I wrote last month, there has been a catastrophic combination of events and individuals that have coincided to leave us where we are. I'll let others pore over the details if it makes them feel happy, but I'm spent, and just want this season to end yesterday. Our plight has led Sun Columnist Kelvin McKenzie to show his true colours at long last. A man that gets through more football teams than Vanessa Feltz gets through cream cakes, 'our Kelvin' has threatened to pack his latest toy away and unleash his fickleness onto QPR next season. A man whose career and industry has been built around issuing savage verbal beatings and kicking a man when he is down, I'm sure there is part of him that is loving our current plight and allowing himself freedom to put the written boot in. Should we be surprised ? Not really. It's not great reading, but we know deep down that the likes of Kelvin are not true Charlton fans like me or you. They came to The Valley in the rising years, not to see Mendonca and Kinsella, but to see Owen and Beckham. It was, after all, what our club advertised to fill our expanding venue; a seat to watch Premiership football amid a safe environment and competitive pricing. And now we are seeing the downside. The hope with the advertising was that it would not just raise revenues and fill seats, it would turn floating football fans into fully-fledged Charlton fans of the future. However, Kelvin and his ilk signed up not for the adventure, but for the promise. They could never understand the respect from the people around them for what they saw as limited players such as Robinson and Brown, they stared in bemusement as fellow fans stood tall and proud to sing VFR whilst relegated against Spurs, and they would never dream of using their non-Charlton Saturday every fortnight to travel north of the M25 to see their adopted team. 'Kelvin from Sevenoaks' was one of the main callers on Talksport during our Premiership years. He managed to get through every week (mainly because what they didn't tell you was that he was the station boss at the time) and consistently put the boot in about Curbishley; About the dire football, the lack of ambition etc. Even in our best period for fifty years it was not good enough for Kelvin and his crew, but that will fit the remit of those who care to know nothing of our history, or take general pride that we were a well-respected small club with a good reputation, holding our own against the bloated big boys. Kelvin and his crew just wanted more. He was one of the ones we were all scratching our heads wondering where they came from when there appeared to be a Charlton 'fans campaign' against Curbishley through the media, that never properly transferred itself to the terraces. See, Kelvin and his crew are fans of football, but they will never truly experience the highs and the lows that go with living and breathing everything associated with being a football fan; The nerves in the pit of your stomach ahead of a big game, the buzz and pride in silly things like when a loud chant echoes around a stand, the joy of a last minute away winner tempered by the nerves of a dodgy walk back to the station. When a stranger asks who you are and instead of saying your name you automatically say 'Charlton'. Kelvin and his crew will never experience those range of emotions, and for that I actually feel sorry for them. Truly supporting a football club is an unknown journey, where the destination is rarely where you envisaged it being in your dreams. But you still keep filling up with petrol and keep ploughing on, particularly in the dark times. Those that do will eventually appreciate the true meaning when the better times return more than Kelvin and his cronies could ever imagine. So goodbye and good luck with your spell as a QPR fan Kelvin. You've caught them at a time of a growingly disenfranchised supporter base, run by people who appear more interested in turnover than supporter wishes or respect for their history. And with a team still poor enough for you to moan about. It all seems a perfect fit. No doubt your money will be missed by our club who currently need every penny they can, but you won't be missed by the likes of me. Despite a soul-destroying league table, a hopeless manager, a collection of dire footballers, and a top tier that appears to not know its left hand from its right, I'm still proud to be a Charlton fan, as will all the other true fans you're type look upon with bemusement.

Good to note how far we've progressed in the 7.5 years since you posted this last bit mate!
  • Punctuation has never been a strong point for the wee fella has it?!
  • I’m sure this won’t be popular atall but I know a few  people who know him and they think he’s ok 
    Even though we are hopeless now he still goes to The Valley  - he was at the Derby game and had tickets for the Exeter game. For this alone he deserves some credit!!